Outdoors
Sponsored by

Banana River Skiff rebuild (part 1)

8,460 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Centerpole90
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
started a new thread since Photobucket became an a-hole about hosting pics.
schmellba99
AG
Looks like it's going to be an interesting project. I'd love to be able to tackle something like this, but time and my ability to finish it in a reasonable period would be major hurdles to overcome.
Salt of the water
AG
In for the build.

Replacing the transom or just patching?

Got this rec for epoxy off the OB. Good prices and quick shipping.
http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html
EFE
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Salt of the water said:

In for the build.

Replacing the transom or just patching?

Got this rec for epoxy off the OB. Good prices and quick shipping.
http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

I'm going to leave the glass skin in place and epoxy a piece of penske across the transom and then fill in the sponsons with floatation foam (allowing for anchor points & wiring for trim-tabs). The transom will be doubled in thickness but the part along the sponsons will be a single sheet. Then glass over the whole thing.

I'm also going to remove the drains in the sponsons and fill those in. The drain will be relocated to the transom and then I'm going to do a bilge out the gunnel.
reddog90
AG
Man that is awesome, good luck with the project. Hope to see it at a TFF outing or something.
RickSawyer
AG
Added to watch list. Looking forward to it. How on earth are you gonna find time to do this dude???
Finn Maccumhail
AG
RickSawyer said:

Added to watch list. Looking forward to it. How on earth are you gonna find time to do this dude???

A little bit at a time. Kids go to bed about 8:30, work for a couple hours and so on. But I doubt it will be on the water before 2018.

And I think my plan to keep it simple will help. It's going to be a tiller, virtually no dry-storage (ie- no hatches to worry about), open bulkheads, etc.
Salt of the water
AG
How about some story time from your threads leading up to this point...

How'd you end up trailering it back?

What rum did you take the pirate who had your treasure?
DatTallArchitect
AG
Looks like a fun project!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Salt of the water said:

How about some story time from your threads leading up to this point...

How'd you end up trailering it back?

What rum did you take the pirate who had your treasure?

Oh yeah...

1) I picked up a U-Haul car hauler in Tampa and we winched the boat trailer onto the car hauler and strapped it down with several ratchet straps that had a 3000lbs+ capacity each. It was interesting because the boat trailer was wider than the car hauler and ramps by about 6". But we let the air out of the boat trailer tires a bit and that helped.

However, that led to another issue when I got home. On one of the boat trailer tires I let too much air out so the tire popped off the bead and wouldn't re-inflate. I can't tell you what a cast-iron beotch it was wrestling the boat trailer off the hauler by myself with one flat tire. The boat itself is maybe 100-150# but that trailer is heavy duty- it's probably 800 pounds or more. It's damn sure heavier than my panga trailer.

And when I got the wheel off to go to Discount Tire to see if they could re-set it they wouldn't do it because the tire was over 10 years old (17 years old to be exact). Tried another trick to get it to re-inflate but no dice. So back to DT and had them get me the cheapest tire available, which they had to order, and it just came in yesterday so the boat & trailer sat in my driveway with only one wheel for a week.

2) I took him this rum

I also took he and his wife a couple of the 30oz Rtic tumblers and a 5# box of boudin from Best Stop in Scott, LA.
Terk
AG
Following!
AgLA06
AG
In
JYDog90
AG
In!

And +1 for Best Stop!
Jackrabbit Ag
AG
In.

Excited to hear about this and the whole process.

Do you have a color picked out for the hull?

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Jackrabbit Ag said:

In.

Excited to hear about this and the whole process.

Do you have a color picked out for the hull?

I'm either going to go really drab and keep it tan or olive so it's less conspicuous for duck hunting. Something like this (which incidentally is an Ag's new skiff):

Or do the entire thing in a classic skiff look with seafoam/guide green and probably put faux-teak SeaDek on the cockpit floor and under the gunnels for the fly rod tubes.

This is a guide green Ankona ShadowCast:

edited to add a Cayo 173 which is a better representation of what I'm talking about with the faux-teak SeaDek

https://instagr.am/p/5zaiBmj21-

AgLA06
AG
I always think of the Keys when I see skiffs. I like the idea of the guide green or similar bright/pastel Keys type of color.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
AgLA06 said:

I always think of the Keys when I see skiffs. I like the idea of the guide green or similar bright/pastel Keys type of color.

Yeah, the rib isn't a fan. I originally wanted my panga to be either sea-foam green or ice blue and she was very much opposed. She said, "why do you want a boat that looks like an Easter egg." So I acquiesced and went with the storm gray.

This time I'm probably going classic skiff regardless of her views.
AgLA06
AG
If she isn't driving or naked on it.......
AgLA06
AG
Love the teak idea. It always gives the feel of a NICE boat. Probably easier on bare feet as well.

BKClark
AG
Guess we know who wears the pants in your family! Good luck with the skiff!!!
RickSawyer
AG
BKClark said:

When buying a skiff, a boat specifically designed for escaping the chaos of work and family life it is sometimes better to pick your domestic battles wisely.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
BKClark said:

I outkicked my coverage by a long shot (CP90 can confirm) and she's A-OK with my fishing and hunting time and just being a savage in general so I'm pretty flexible on other things as long as it doesn't cost me too much money.
Terk
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

AgLA06 said:

White top/interior, color of your choice on the outer hull. Classic.
BKClark
AG
In 26 years worth, I've certainly learned to pick my battles! Anything dealing with boats is worth burning some chips. FWIW
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Terk said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

AgLA06 said:

Not going two-tone. The less paint work I have to do the better.
reddog90
AG
What ag got that versatile and how does he like it?
drummer0415
AG
I have no idea how to build a boat, but my only advice is if you're planning to do this work at night in your garage, you're going to need to seriously upgrade you're lighting situation in the garage.
Terk
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Terk said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

AgLA06 said:

Not going two-tone. The less paint work I have to do the better.
You aren't painting the skiff on a rotisserie rack in a booth, are you? Paint one color to the rub rail (or where you are going to put one) and the top/interior once cured and you flip it over.
AgLA06
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

BKClark said:

I outkicked my coverage by a long shot (CP90 can confirm) and she's A-OK with my fishing and hunting time and just being a savage in general so I'm pretty flexible on other things as long as it doesn't cost me too much money.

Apparently not. I would classify a boat here.
Centerpole90
AG
Congrats Finn! MOAR projects! What we all need!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
AgLA06 said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

BKClark said:

Apparently not. I would classify a boat here.

Dude, I've already got a boat. This will be my second boat.

Here's my first boat:

AgLA06
AG
I'm just messing with you man.

My wife would let me do whatever I wanted, but alas I don't have any fun toys or the budget for them. Therefore, all I can do is F with you to counteract my jealousy.
ccard257
AG
adding this one to the watchlist
drmwvr
AG
Another boat guy here....following
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.