Outdoors
Sponsored by

First AR 15 Build

7,654 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cdowl38
cdowl38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello everyone, I am building an AR 15. So far I have a Spike's Tactical Lower and a Spike's LPK. I thought I would make this thread for feedback on my build and to document it.

[img]<a href=[/img]

[img]<a href=[/img]
nealan
Fun! I remember my first build..
cdowl38
AG

Ive gotten this far, I am having a lot of trouble with the pivot pin. I cant seem to keep the detent in the hole long enough to push the pin in. Also one of the springs came out and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Hold the detent down with the flat side of a razor blade. As you slide the pin in transfer the pressure onto the the detent from the razor to the pin.
TamuKid
AG
Where do you live? I have some extra front takedown pin tools that make it super easy. I can part ways with them since I have several. Otherwise, the razorblade/thin durable anything trick works as well as anything else.

Got them from Xtreme Precision in a parts kit I bought from them (which is an awesome company, btw).
TexasAggies06
AG
I like to use a clevis pin to install the pivot pin. Looks like this:

You can get them for about $1.50 at Home Depot, plenty of YouTube videos showing how to install it this way.
txamu11
AG
1/4" clevis pin and a wire coat hanger for the pivot pin install. Put clevis pen in hole from the opposite side you will put the actual pivot pin in. Line up hole in clevis pin with hole in receiver and insert spring/detent in hole through the clevis pin. Use wire coat hanger to push down spring and detent then rotate clevis pin 90 degrees to hold in place. Push the clevis pin out with the pivot pin as you put the pivot pin in the receiver.

No more flying detents and springs and the clevis pin can be had for less than $1
cdowl38
AG
I live in Austin
I think the springs that are the same size as this one are for the safety and the rear pin so I will need to find that correct?
Right now I am trying to use needle nose pliers and a flat head. I have an allen wrench holding the place of the pin right now.
cdowl38
AG
Ive been watching these two videos for instructions.

cdowl38
AG
It seems it would be a little bit easier if I had the vise and vise block
TamuKid
AG
cdowl38 said:

I live in Austin
I think the springs that are the same size as this one are for the safety and the rear pin so I will need to find that correct?
Right now I am trying to use needle nose pliers and a flat head. I have an allen wrench holding the place of the pin right now.

I'm in North Austin, around Parmer. Happy to hook ya up with the takedown tool if you'd like. Rear pin will be same size detent/spring. Safety detent/spring is a bit different.

Text me at 210 four one five 32 five eight.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I tried my last lower by using my vise and magwell block, ended up taking it off and leaving the lower on the bench for the most part.

Vise and magwell block is great for cleaning or other tinkering though
cdowl38
AG
@Tamukid
I finally just got it through, clevis pin wouldve made it a lot easier. Im still worried about finding that other spring though
TamuKid
AG
If it doesn't turn up I think I have several extra pivot springs and safety/grip springs too. I'll look when I get home to confirm.
cdowl38
AG
yeah ill keep looking for it but if I cant find it I will let you know. thanks so much
MB19
AG
cdowl38 said:

It seems it would be a little bit easier if I had the vise and vise block
Makes it very easy. Also +1 on the clevis pin. Enjoy your build.
cdowl38
AG
So ive gotten the trigger in and the safety, I dont seem to have the right size allen for the screw that attachs the grip so the safety is still a bit loose without the detent and spring.

EFE
AG
I call bullsh on this being your first build, I don't see any scratches or marrs yet.
aggiesq
AG
cool
cdowl38
AG
There definitely is some scratch marks. I'm hoping they come out since I'm using a nylon hammer
cdowl38
AG
Im guessing I should loctite the safety and the screw that goes into the trigger pin right?
CharlieBrown17
AG
That's sort of odd, I've never seen a screw in trigger.

There's never really an issue with non permanent thread lock in my opinion, it's easy to break free.
cdowl38
AG
Its not a screw in trigger, there is a pin that goes through but after there are two screws that hold in that piece of plastic that attaches to the hammer pin.
AGricola08
AG
I'm gonna piggy back instead of creating my own thread. 1st build.

TamuKid
AG
Details?

Is that an Odin Works rail? I looked at those for a while. What stainless barrel? What upper/Lower brand is that? Nib bcg?

Shot it yet?
TamuKid
AG
Also, I do have extra pistol grip/safety springs, and extra rear takedown pin springs if you're in need, brother.
AGricola08
AG
It is Odin Works rail and barrel, Gibbz Arms matched billet upper (non-recip side charging and lower, NiB BCG (AIM Surplus if I recall correctly), Giessele SSA trigger, LPK was PSA, stock and grip are Magpul.

I got it headspaced and ran some rounds through it to make sure it was operational and would cycle, but havent gotten to really stretch its legs yet. Hope to do that within the next week.
TamuKid
AG
AGricola08 said:

It is Odin Works rail and barrel, Gibbz Arms matched billet upper (non-recip side charging and lower, NiB BCG (AIM Surplus if I recall correctly), Giessele SSA trigger, LPK was PSA, stock and grip are Magpul.

I got it headspaced and ran some rounds through it to make sure it was operational and would cycle, but havent gotten to really stretch its legs yet. Hope to do that within the next week.

Awesome. Quality build. Looks great too!
AGricola08
AG
Appreciate it! Was alot of fun to put together. Now I understand how the building obsession starts... ha.
MB19
AG
AGricola08 said:

Appreciate it! Was alot of fun to put together. Now I understand how the building obsession starts... ha.
It's like Barbie dolls, but for men!
cdowl38
AG
Im now shopping around for my upper receiver. i have a spikes lower, ive heard different things on uppers, would it matter if I get an aero precision upper? or would it possibly not fit together perfectly? Ive heard of a spikes upper rocking slightly on an aero lower
cdowl38
AG
It seems the spikes uppers are sold out everywhere, does anyone know any other websites I can look at?
EMY92
AG
Primary Arms has a limited selection left.
Central Committee
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

I call bullsh on this being your first build, I don't see any scratches or marrs yet.
I will second that. Ended up having my first one cerakoted. I wanted it in dry earth anyway, so it was a good excuse. He several scratches after my first, but learned my lesson for the second, which went far smoother.
cdowl38
AG
Can you post the link?

http://www.primaryarms.com/spikes-tactical-ar-15-upper-receiver-assembly-sft50m4

it says out of stock on mine
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.