Outdoors
Sponsored by

First AR 15 Build

7,633 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cdowl38
TamuKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cdowl38 said:

Im now shopping around for my upper receiver. i have a spikes lower, ive heard different things on uppers, would it matter if I get an aero precision upper? or would it possibly not fit together perfectly? Ive heard of a spikes upper rocking slightly on an aero lower

Aero is good to go. Doesn't matter if you mix and match. Unless you get a matched upper/lower, it doesn't much matter if it's the same brand
Secolobo
AG
cdowl38 said:

@Tamukid
I finally just got it through, clevis pin wouldve made it a lot easier. Im still worried about finding that other spring though
Say a prayer to St. Anthony......always works.
cdowl38
AG
Haha I remember when I was a little kid my mom would pray to St. Anthony when we were looking for something

still havent found that spring yet haha
cdowl38
AG
So you think the spikes lower and the aero upper wouldnt rock at all and should fit together? Ive just heard mixed things about getting different brands for the upper and lower
TamuKid
AG
cdowl38 said:

So you think the spikes lower and the aero upper wouldnt rock at all and should fit together? Ive just heard mixed things about getting different brands for the upper and lower

Should be fine. Haven't done that exact combo but I can't imagine there'd be an issue. Plus. A little slop in an AR isn't a big deal at all. Either way, I bet you have minimal slop as those are both quality manufacturers.
JRizzle
AG
Piggybacking onto this post. I am going to build my first as well.

I was planning on Magpul kit from PSA. Will obtain a stripped lower locally. I think that should be everything that I need?

Can someone briefly tell me what other things I will need? Tools, etc.

Also, since I am completely new, should I get an open or closed trigger gaurd on the lower. It doesnt look like the PSA kits have the piece that covers the trigger...

Thanks,

JR
TamuKid
AG
JRizzle said:

Piggybacking onto this post. I am going to build my first as well.

I was planning on Magpul kit from PSA. Will obtain a stripped lower locally. I think that should be everything that I need?

Can someone briefly tell me what other things I will need? Tools, etc.

Also, since I am completely new, should I get an open or closed trigger gaurd on the lower. It doesnt look like the PSA kits have the piece that covers the trigger...

Thanks,

JR

If you buy from PSA. Use a prepaid Visa card, or use a virtual credit card number. They had had a ton of credit card fraud reported. I just got called this week with fraud charges after buying from PSA. Extremely annoying.

Magpul is good to go. Their LPK should come with a trigger guard. You'll want a trigger guard. For a first AR, to eliminate another roll pin, Aero Precisions Enhanced Trigger Guard is nice (set screws instead of roll pin).

cdowl38
AG
Stripped Lower
Spikes Tactical Lower Honey Badger
$ 103.50
Lower: Transfer Fee
AT FFL (AVERAGE)
$ 18.53
Lower: Shipping
FROM COMPANY TO FFL (GUESS)
$ 15.00
LPK
Spikes Enhanced LPK
$ 183.46
Grip
INCLUDED - LPK Ergo FDE
$ -
Trigger
INCLUDED - LPK (Spikes Nib Trigger)
$ -
Stock
Magpul MOE Slim-Line Carbine Stock - Mil-Spec - Black
$ 54.99
Buffer Assembly
Spikes Buffer Assembly T2 Mil Spec
$ 70.00
Upper Parts Below
Stripped Upper
Aero Precision/Spikes Tactical Assembled Upper (has forward assist and dust cover)
$ 100.00
Charging Handle
BCM / Vltor Gunfighter Charging Handle mod 4 latch (medium)
$ 49.99
Bolt Carrier Group
INCLUDED - Barrel (Faxon M16 Bolt Carrier Group - Complete - Nitride)
$ -
Barrel
16" PENCIL, 5.56 NATO, MID-LENGTH, 4150 QPQ
$ 365.98
Gas Tube
INCLUDED - Barrel (AR Gas Tube - MID Length ($15.99))
$ -
Gas Block
INCLUDED - Barrel (.625" Ultra Low-Profile Gas Block)
$ -
Hand Guard
MI G3 Lightweight ML-Series One Piece Free Float Handguard, M-LOK compatible, 15 Inch Rifle, black
$ 200.00
Front Sight
Magpul BUIS
$ -
Rear Sight
Magpul BUIS
$ -
Muzzle Break
A2 Muzzle Brake
$ 8.99

cdowl38
AG
these are the parts ive bought or plan on buying
cdowl38
AG
So far ive bought stuff from Primary arms, faxon, PSA, and red barn armory

PSA takes FOREVER on shipping while primary arms and red barn delivered in like 2-3 days
Van Buren Boy
AG
I like wing tactical for fast and reasonable shipping. Their selection isn't all that great but they carry a decent range of items.
TAMUallen
AG
cdowl38 said:

So far ive bought stuff from Primary arms, faxon, PSA, and red barn armory

PSA takes FOREVER on shipping while primary arms and red barn delivered in like 2-3 days

True to that on the PSA part. I've ordered things from them before and it made me feel like I was ordering things through the mail from a magazine in the 90s... gruelingly slow compared to nearly anything else bought and shipped nowadays
CTGilley
AG
Where are you finding under $20 transfers? I get them for free if I want to drive 250 miles to see my buddy but I think $20 is a steal. Unless you are talking about buying multiple lowers at once and only paying one transfer fee.
cdowl38
AG
https://centraltexasgunworks.com/

$15 with a CHL
cdowl38
AG
https://centraltexasgunworks.com/ffltransfers

$15 with CHL, $20 without
CTGilley
AG
cdowl38 said:

https://centraltexasgunworks.com/ffltransfers

$15 with CHL, $20 without
WOW going rate in B/CS is $25 and $30+ in Corpus
cdowl38
AG
Free Market and competition baby
cdowl38
AG
Snoop Lion
I need an opinion on an anderson upper. i bought it for $99 but it seems that online they go for about $50. Should I try to return this upper and order something else?

Also I need the parts for the upper, is there a kit I can get instead of ordering a $10 dust cover and then the forward assist separate?
Snoop Lion
?
Snoop Lion
Also Im debating between what kind of optic I would like to put on. Either magpul sights like this

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41Y8XO5JfEL._SX450_.jpg

Or some sort of scope, I have a vortex diamondback that I could put on my AR15 but I was thinking of something more tactical
maverick2076
$99 for a stripped Anderson is high. You should be able to find them for $20-$30 less assembled.

You can find an "upper build kit" to complete your stripped upper.

If you want a more tactical scope check out Primary Arms. Their 1-6x ACSS scope is a great value.
Snoop Lion
Ok thank you, Im still debating returning it. I went ahead and just ordered the parts separate because the only "upper parts kit" that I could find also had a crappy charging handle and I already have that part
cdowl38
AG
Hey yall sorry I havent gotten around to posting the finished project.

Here it is: Let me know what you think. I still havent decided what kind of optics I would like to put on it.

here it is with a scope I had laying around. I dont have special rings so it is really close to the rails
cdowl38
AG
I need to tighten the muzzle brake on it but Im afraid I will scratch it with a wrench
Oruc Reis
AG
I have that same handguard, so awesome.
aggielostinETX
AG
cdowl38 said:

I need to tighten the muzzle brake on it but Im afraid I will scratch it with a wrench
Gun will get scratched.

Use the right tool and piece of tape or cloth if you are that worried.
cdowl38
AG
I may need to take it somewhere then
Oruc Reis
AG
If you put an old tshirt or something on the wrench, you won't scratch it
aggielostinETX
AG
Oruc Reis said:

If you put an old tshirt or something on the wrench, you won't scratch it
A wrench is the right tool... I usually just stick a screwdriver through the tines.
cdowl38
AG
I'm just going to take it somewhere
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.