Outdoors
Sponsored by

Any Appalachian Trial hikers for 2017

17,734 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have hiked the trail for a month each time in 2014 and 2015. Will be attempting a thru hike in 2017, starting in Georgia. Any other hikers considering the AT in 2017?
BCO07
AG
It's on the list for when the kids (4, 2, 10mo) get older. Watching thread for general info
CT'97
AG
I have a good friend that made it 600 miles this year and had to come off for a family emergency. I will probably go back and walk part of it with her next year.
Spore Ag
When will you start in 2017? Met a girl from Germany, started in February and took her 6 months. Said she saw 11 black bears.
Dazed and Confused
AG
Spore Ag said:

When will you start in 2017? Met a girl from Germany, started in February and took her 6 months. Said she saw 11 black bears.
Last week of February will be starting in Georgia. This is an early start date and it will be cold with a few snow days for sure. Mid March until April are the more typical times to start if you are heading north. 6 months is about average and hopefully this will get me back for the UCLA game. Only came across 3 bears in my prior short hikes there. Guess which state has the worst bear problems along this trail? NJ
Wrighty
AG
BCO07 said:

It's on the list for when the kids (4, 2, 10mo) get older. Watching thread for general info

This describes me too. I would love to take 5 months and do the trail, but it ain't happening for the next 18 years. I wonder if I'll have the same interest at that point.
Ragoo
AG
Virginia? How are you taking so much time to do this? My inlaws are in Blacksburg so we have done several offshoots notably dragon's tooth.
BCO07
AG
I'm building a list of backpacking trips with the kids of various lengths. The full Appalachian Trail is unlikely to ever happen, but it'd be nice to pick a few key stretches. This is probably the one I've done the least reading on.
Dazed and Confused
AG
Ragoo said:

Virginia? How are you taking so much time to do this? My inlaws are in Blacksburg so we have done several offshoots notably dragon's tooth.
NJ is the worst for bears, as it has the highest density of black bears and a lot of thru and day hikers. Most AT hikers are in transition ( after High School or College, between jobs, between relationships, or retired), I started long distance hiking when I retired. BTW, in 2014 I met an Aggie going up Dragon's tooth as I was coming down. He noticed my ATM cap and we chatted for a little bit, he was going to the top to take a picture of his ring on the top of Dragon's tooth.
Dazed and Confused
AG
BCO07 said:

I'm building a list of backpacking trips with the kids of various lengths. The full Appalachian Trail is unlikely to ever happen, but it'd be nice to pick a few key stretches. This is probably the one I've done the least reading on.
A lot of people due it in sections. I sectioned hike for two years, a month each, but my hiking partner (daughter - class of '16) is now employed and has lost the desire/ability to section hike. So what the hell, Ill just due it one shot in 2017. I'd recommend Damascus Va. to Waynesboro Va. for a section, if you can only due one.
Spore Ag
Will you use tent or hammock? Just did Smokies last week but AT too crowded so did alternatives.
oneeyedag
We spend a lot of time in Damascus, Va. and the hike from Damascus to Shenandoah National Park would be a nice hike.

Also Black Bears are becoming problematic in the Damascus area.
Dazed and Confused
AG
Spore Ag said:

Will you use tent or hammock? Just did Smokies last week but AT too crowded so did alternatives.
Will use a tent and mix it up with some shelter stays. Hammocks get more popular every year. Most like the comfort and the easy setup. Im just too old school to switch to a hammock and hopefully the PCT will be in my future someday. The PCT has long stretches with no trees to use for hammock hanging.
AggieDarlin
AG
Following to glean any wisdom. I'd love to complete a thru-hike, but I don't know that I'll ever be able to take that much time off from work.
Spore Ag
Marketing overrides your practical use like I read about water propelled generators. Not to mention the weight but real practical on the pct.....sarcasm.
Dazed and Confused
AG
Spore Ag said:

There are several Germans on the AT every year. Apparently there is a German documentary on the AT trail that they run quite often on TV there. Besides two hikers, one from Ireland and another from New Zealand, all the rest of the international hikers I met were Germans.

Durch die Wildnis Amerikas. 3.000 Kilometer zu Fu" ("Through the Wilderness of America. 3000 Kilometer by foot")
Spore Ag
Interesting as I was showing the Smokies AT to some Brit fiends. Did the WHW in Scotland and the Faroes this year so my time to entertain but they really were not in shape.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Dazed and Confused said:

NJ is the worst for bears, as it has the highest density of black bears and a lot of thru and day hikers.

I live a little bit east of Blue Mountain in eastern PA(which you climb on the trail, btw), and the bears have gotten worse. I've only lived at my house a few months, but have already seen 2 black bears, the second being in my backyard. According to the neighbors, you used to never see them.

Gonna follow this, I will probably never do this so I'll just live vicariously through you.
RCR06
AG
A few years ago i ran across a documentary on the AT and since then I've watched just about any documentary or movie I could find about the AT and PCT. I've actually run through scenarios where I would sell my house and go. Currently my house is my only debt.
cr06gis
AG
Thru'd in 08. Best time of my life.
JPTC08
AG
Thu-hiked the AT in '09 and PCT in '12. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be glad to answer any.
AZAG08
AG
JPTC08 said:

Thu-hiked the AT in '09 and PCT in '12. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be glad to answer any.
Just out of curiosity how long did each one take?
TheVarian
AG
Someone told me the other day that some guy ran the whole AT in under 40 days and broke the previous record. Do y'all know his name?
bigboykin
AG
One of my best friends is going through a divorce and his job is moving locations and he doesn't want to move, so he's taking 6 months and doing the AT starting in March for a "life reboot". I'm hoping to get up to do a stretch with him at some point, so I'm watching this thread for more suggestions.
JPTC08
AG
AT took me 4 1/2 months with about 2-3 weeks of zero days. PCT took me 4 3/4 months. Four to six months is probably the norm for the AT. Five to six for the PCT.
JPTC08
AG
TheVarian said:

Someone told me the other day that some guy ran the whole AT in under 40 days and broke the previous record. Do y'all know his name?
Scott Jurek set a record a year or two ago. Not sure if his record still stands or not. I'd have to look it up.
mpl35
AG
JPTC08 said:

TheVarian said:

Scott Jurek set a record a year or two ago. Not sure if his record still stands or not. I'd have to look it up.
Jurek lasted a year. karl Meltzer just set the new mark at 45 days, 22 hours, and 38 inutes this summer.

Keep in mind that Jurek and Meltzer both did it ultrarunner style with a support team. They basically run with minimal packs and have support crews doing a ton of work.

A woman, Heather Anderson has the women's and overall self-supported (thru hiker style, ME to GA) AT FKT, 54d7h48m.
mpl35
AG
JPTC08 said:

You are overdue for the CDT!
JPTC08
AG
mpl35 said:

JPTC08 said:

Yeah, the Triple Crown has been on my mind a lot as of late. I'm probably going to do it in sections. I have a wife and two little kiddos now. It'd be hard to take off the time needed for a thru of the CDT.
mpl35
AG
JPTC08 said:

mpl35 said:

JPTC08 said:

Yeah, the Triple Crown has been on my mind a lot as of late. I'm probably going to do it in sections. I have a wife and two little kiddos now. It'd be hard to take off the time needed for a thru of the CDT.
I hear you. I have been dreaming of the PCT since I found out about it about 8 years ago. Unfortunately I have a son in first grade atm. I should have found out about it sooner. I'm thinking of some shorter (long) ones with him in the near future. The Colorado Trail should be doable for him in one summer soon.
Duncan Idaho
JPTC08 said:

How long did the AT take?
What was your average daily? Highest daily?
How many down days?

How did you handle food? Did you buy it along the way? Have a lag team? Drop it aheaf of time?

What was your total cost? And do you have a basic break down ($x food, $equipment, etc)

Anything that you wish you had with you that you didn't?

Anything you had with you that you thanked God you had it!

I am sure I will have more.
JPTC08
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

JPTC08 said:

How long did the AT take?
4 1/2 months

What was your average daily? Highest daily?
With out zeros, I probably averaged in the low to mid 20's.
I had a few days in the upper 30's

How many down days?
I stated earlier that I had 2-3 weeks of zeros, but thinking about it now it was probably closer to 3-4 weeks

How did you handle food? Did you buy it along the way? Have a lag team? Drop it aheaf of time?
Just buying along the way worked on the AT. Sometimes this meant resupplying at gas stations or restaurants. PCT I had a little bit different strategy.

What was your total cost? And do you have a basic break down ($x food, $equipment, etc)
Total cost was around $2000-2500. Around $1000 in gear. The rest was food and hotels. Did a lot of work-for-stay at various hostels.

Anything that you wish you had with you that you didn't?
Trekking poles. My knees still hate me. Didn't pick any up until halfway thru the PCT.

Anything you had with you that you thanked God you had it!
I had a small travel size BodyGlide stick. It would have been miserable the first few weeks without it.

I am sure I will have more.
Duncan Idaho
Thanks.

Any books/website/etc that you'd recommend to get a comprehensive view what to do and how to get ready?
JPTC08
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Thanks.

Any books/website/etc that you'd recommend to get a comprehensive view what to do and how to get ready?
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php is a good place to start. Lots of great info there. If you or anybody is in the New Braunfels area and want to talk about preparing for a thru-hike or want to do a gear shake down, just let me know.
Dazed and Confused
AG
JPTC08 said:

What was your start date and location?
What temperature rating of sleeping bag did you start with?
What shoes did you start with, trail runners?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.