Outdoors
Sponsored by

Any Appalachian Trial hikers for 2017

17,732 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Dazed and Confused
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
VanZandt92
cr06gis said:

Thru'd in 08. Best time of my life.

Stories please
Dazed and Confused
AG
Currently in Delaware Water Gap Penn, cross into NJ tomorrow. Interesting fact the eastern rattler is much darker in color than the western. I stepped over a huge rattler that was trying to swallow a squirrel. Lucky I didn't step on it, mistook it for a large tree root. Closer call than all the bear encounters in the Shenandoah. But NJ has the worst bear issues, they finally opened up hunting this year as it is getting out of hand. My main goal now is to limit my weight loss as we have increased the daily miles for a month now. So my pack weight will increase. A lot of hikers have dropped out, but we now have a lot of flip floppers on the trail. Until I post again, Gig'em and BTHO Davidson.
PharmD4
AG
Posted report/pics on separate thread

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2859533
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Wow, probably less than 10 miles from my house. Didn't realize the trail went through the Water Gap. I'm already at work, or I'd have offered to bring supplies/food...

Watch out for the bears, man, they're no joke. I've had two sightings in the last 12 months, last one was in my back yard.
Goldie Wilson
Awesome! Keep up the good work
JPTC08
Dazed and Confused
AG
Just left NY today and entered Conn. Going into Kent Conn tomorrow for new shoes and resupply. Going to miss all the small town Deli in NY. Certainly help me keep my weight up. Took a few minutes the other day and we all swam in Nuclear Lake, former plutonium research site and explosion. They said it was ok to swim but not to drink the water. Loving the trail so far in Conn. , NY was actually harder than I expected with a lot of rock scrambles.
atmdds03
AG
Thanks for the updates!
Dazed and Confused
AG
Just completed Conn today and entered Mass. Rain forecasted for late tomorrow, trying to hike early and hopefully miss it. Will be staying in Sheffield Mass to resupply and take a zero day. Saw Lime Rock Race track from the mountains yesterday, quite a site with the cars on the track. Camped at the Toy Maker Cafe before hitting the trail. Truth be told, the small towns in Conn near the trail are quite nice. Eggs Benedict for breakfast was a great treat at the cafe. Conn people have been very Hiker friendly. As we passed the 1500 mile today, one of the hiker got quite emotional realizing that this adventure we started 4 months ago will be ending in under 700 miles. There will be a lot of mixed emotions for sure, but we have a lot ahead of us ( White Mountains and Maine wilderness to name a few ). Highly recommend the AT, we had a hiker from the PCT join us for several weeks. I'll try to highlight her take on the difference between these trails on a later post. Any Ags want to supply trail magic along our way, let me know, we always like a hand out.
YellowPot_97
AG
how you smelling?
Dazed and Confused
AG
After several days on the trail, we are quite ripe. In town for resupply sometimes includes a shower and we are bearable.
Goldie Wilson
How's your trail family? Do you have consistent hiking group?
Dazed and Confused
AG
Dan, our trail family started out with about 9 hikers my third day in Georgia Most trail families or tramilies last upto two or two and half months. So we are not typical. We are down to having 5 from the original group and usually have 1 or two new hikers join us for a few days or weeks. Of the 5, one of them goes in and out and we hike together every few days. Trail families break up typically because they don't all hike the same pace, injuries, etc. The five we have just recently joined up together again in NY and we had not seen each other for over a month. Two of the five. are husband and wife. Very few married couples are on the trail together after the first few months. Usually it was only one partners' hike and the other was tagging alone. Once the newness wears off, one of the spouses leaves the trail and goes back home. I won't go into the trail romances we have seen, but I always wonder if they would be with each other if they weren't hiking. We will see if this trail family still remains for the Katahdin summit, the odds are against it, but being together for the most part for the last four months is also against the odds.
BanderaAg956
Thanks for it all the great updates folks. Thanks for your gear reviews as well. I haven't done any serious hiking since 2005-2007; time to get back in the trail!
YellowPot_97
AG
Dazed and Confused said:

After several days on the trail, we are quite ripe. In town for resupply sometimes includes a shower and we are bearable.

I spent a night in a shelter in GSMNP with a couple through hikers. And man they were ripe. Their socks hanging to dry at the front of the shelter didn't help.
I'm envious of your trip.
Dazed and Confused
AG
4 inches of rain yesterday in Vermont. Don't think we are going anywhere today with all the stream crossings and standing water. Holed up in a motel in Bennington VT for the day.
Dazed and Confused
AG
Pass Killington Vt and will be in Hanover NH on Wed. Then the white mountains. Still waiting to see my first moose sighting.
Goldie Wilson
Thanks for the updates!
Dazed and Confused
AG
Through the Whites and in Maine. 250 miles to go.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Keep pounding away, man. You got this.
atmdds03
AG
Getting close! I've enjoyed the updates.
Dazed and Confused
AG
My condition has worsen and now holed up in a hostel with a swollen twisted ankle. Southern Maine is proving to be tough for me. Have only four days of hiking before I enter the 100 mile wilderness. Hoping my physical and mental condition improve. I thought the White Mountains would have got me. But it's Maine. A lot of support from fellow hikers, complete strangers passmeand want to know how I am feeling as they learned of me from other hikers. Great community out here. Hoping I have some mental toughness left.
Goldie Wilson
Thanks for the update. Hope you feel better and get to finish the hike. Don't rush back to the trail -- give yourself plenty of time to heal
SPF250
AG
You've got a lot of support here on TexAgs. You can do this, but rest that ankle.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
FYI, she quit the trail because she "wasn't passionate about it." I think her vegan boyfriend is still going, though.
claym711
AG
Never realized thru hikers stayed in hotels along the way. Makes it seem much easier to complete
TshirtVulture
Hostel........ not hotel. And yeah, that would be easier wouldn't it
Dazed and Confused
AG
Rested up for 5 days, using the RICE method to heal the ankle. Took a short test hike, and the results were not good. My ankle is in no condition to take a jaunt into the 100 mile wilderness nor climb Mt. Katahdin. So my hike is completed short in central Maine. No regrets, it has always been about the journey and not the destination. Will always remember the trail, places, and most importantly the people I hiked with over the last five and half months. So its time to return to Texas and heal up before heading out to LA for the UCLA game. For anyone considering the AT, thru hike or shorter, I highly recommend it. It does indeed change people's life and perspective. -- Popcorn-- NOBO-- 2017
YellowPot_97
Goldie Wilson
Awesome work! Looking forward to you posting some pics and stories whenever you get back home and rested.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I see you like one of the Navy SeAL trainees in BUD/S during hell week who got hurt on Wednesday or Thursday and was "secured." They made it through hell week just like the others. You made it through all the states and the ending, 100 miles give or take, is arbitrary. You did 2K miles give or take the last 100. Most people couldn't go 100 give or take 2K.

I declare you secured for an AT thru-hike.
Dazed and Confused
AG
Thank you 91AggieLawyer, I do plan to go back next year and hike the missing miles. Probably do it in July or August, so I miss the black fly season and not the football season.
I'm at home and resting and eating. Did go into the doctor to checkout some issues with headaches, stiff neck, tiredness, etc.. They ran several tests and it came back positive for Lyme. Now that I have been taking the antibiotics, I feel like my old self, ready to hit the trail. Of course this is after my ankle gets more rest.

In the back of my mind I keep thinking about the PCT also, so I know my strength mentally and physically is returning. 3 out of 4 people in my trail family also want to join me as I hike those missing miles, even though they have already hiked it and they are tough miles. What can you say about the trail community, it restores your faith in humanity.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.