Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lets play is it 13"???

3,893 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by greenmachine
AgySkeet06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are talking antler rack width here, not locker room talk

Saw this guy twice this weekend. At 1 point i thought he was 13 then another not.

Bonus for yall as I did videos not photos. Starting to chase some does in Colorado County

Edited for higher quality download

And then a bonus clip of what appears to be some woodpeckers getting frisky

wow those videos look terrible on here compared to my phone, let me see if i can up the quality of download
highvelocity
AG
he looks a lot like the deer i shot last year but wider.

i vote yes. take the damn shot!
thaed137
AG
Here is what I go by:

This is from TPWD. It appears in the screen stills, that he is right at where it would be ok to shoot. The antlers appear to be right at the edge of the ears. If you are uncomfortable then pass. If this is the best deer you have seen in several seasons, then in my opinion you are borderline but safe. *Please note I am not expert in this*
gillom
AG
I say no. Very close.
Mathguy64
AG
Two seasons ago I took an 8 pt buck that I thought was easily over the limit when I gauged his spread versus ears from about 80 yds. He looked way over the ear tips. I put the tape on him back at the camp and it was 13" and I mean I had to have a damn micrometer to get it to 13".

Edit. I think its close but would err on no shot.
powerbelly
AG
gillom said:

I say no. Very close.
This is my opinion as well.
AgySkeet06
AG
The ears are a good guide and all but i've shot some in the past that looked 13 because of the way their ears stood alert but actually measure 15+ when you get them on the ground.

He is the second biggest i have on camera.Thing is we are 400 acres surrounded by 10-15 acre ranchettes. They dont bow hunt but kill everything they see legal once rifle comes along so its difficult to manage. Kind of got to take what you can get.

This is the biggest we seen this year and has been roaming nocturnal during bow season thus far
Allen76
AG
JSKolache
AG
Can't see the vid, but agree with others - make sure spread is easily outside the ears. Our place is noisy - close to highway, an airstrip, oilfield equipment, etc & and we get good looks because the deer alert and listen/look around constantly.
Max06
AG
Nope. And I have measured A LOT of deer.
California Ag 90
AG
OK, i'll play along. Virginia buck photo - saw him yesterday again out of range of a good shot (archery), but torn about taking him. verdict?

here's the URL photo doesn't seem to insert. http://imgur.com/a/fLUxM
Lungblood
That's exactly the buck that AR were designed to "protect".
powerbelly
AG
Would not shoot based on that pic
California Ag 90
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Would not shoot based on that pic
was my take as well. guessing what, 2.5 yo?

but would he pass the 13 test? i can't tell exactly from the angle and 'ear test', but doesn't look close to 13 to me.

agsalaska
AG
My guess is the deer in the OP is legal. The deer California Ag 90 posted is not.
Badace52
AG
I bet he's legal but based on his undercarriage he looks like he probably has 2-3 more years before he reaches his prime rack stage. I'd pass and give him some more time unless you're on a place with a lot of hunting pressure. If you want meat, shoot a doe.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GinaLinetti
AG
I'd pass
greenmachine
AG
Nope, not 13".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.