Outdoors
Sponsored by

For September 11th.....

10,692 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by iamtheglove
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd like to tell yall about someone who died that day. Some of you may already know this story, and if you do I apologize.

Col Hal Moore wrote a book about a battle in the Ia Drang during Vietnam called "We were soldiers once...and young.". If you haven't heard of the book, you've probably heard of the movie based on it, starring Mel Gibson called "We were soldiers".

Here is the cover of the book:

So why am I talking about this book in a thread about September 11th? Because the man on the cover survived the Vietnam war, but died on September 11th, 2001.

Here's the picture that became the cover:

His name is Rick Rescorla. He's an Englishman by birth....Cornwall, 1939. Grew up around the Allied troops prepping for Normandy, and was impressed with them. So when the time came to choose a career, he joined the British Army and trained as a paratrooper. After leaving the British Army, he served as a police officer in the Northern Rhodesian Police for a few years...an experience that made him loathe communism. He briefly worked as Metropolitan police officer, before immigrating to America to join the United States Army, going through basic, officer candidate school, and airborne school, before being assigned to 7th Cav...which is how he ended up on the cover of Moore's book and fighting in Vietnam.

After Vietnam, he returned to the US. Got a bachelors from Oklahoma in creative writing, a masters in English and a law degree, before moving to South Carolina to teach criminal justice...before being recruited into the world of Corporate security. He began working for Dean Witter Reynolds in the World Trade Center in 1985.

After the Pan-Am bombing in 1988, he asked an old counter terrorism friend from Rhodesia to come by the WTC and do a security evaluation with him, worried that terrorists might view it as a potential target. The two concluded that a truck full of explosives parked next to a load bearing column in the parking garage would be the easiest way to attack the WTC, and wrote a letter to the Port Authority urging tighter security at the site. But their proposals would have cost money, and were ignored.

After the '93 bombing, he urged his employer Morgan Stanley to leave the WTC and relocate to New Jersey, where the costs would be lower and security easier to manage. But, Morgan Stanley's lease in the WTC ran through 2006, and they had no interest in moving. Since they were not going to move and his earlier warnings had been ignored, Rick concluded that in the event of an emergency, the employees were on their own, and insisted on emergency fire drills every 3 months, where the employees would form up and orderly file down the stairs. The executives grouched about the drills, but he fought to keep them in place, fearing that the WTC would again be the target of a terrorist attack and knowing that training could save lives.

On September 11th, 2001 at 8:46 am Rick was sitting in his office on the 44th floor of the South Tower when the first airliner hit the North Tower. A Port Authority announcement came over the intercom shortly afterwards, urging people to stay at their desks. Rick ignored it, grabbed a bullhorn and started ordering Morgan Stanley employees (around 2700 of them) to evacuate. They were in those stairwells and moving when the second airline hit the South tower at 9:03 am, 38 floors above them.

As he was helping people evacuate, he sang to keep spirits up. If you've ever seen the movie Zulu, one of the songs he belted out as people evacuated can be seen in the build up to the final battle, with a slight variation. Instead of "Men of Harlech", he sang "Men of Cornwall", lyrics as follows:

"Men of Cornwall stop your dreaming, Can't you see their spearpoints gleaming?,
See their warriors' pennants streaming, To this battlefield.
Men of Cornwall stand ye steady, It cannot be ever said ye for the battle were not ready
Stand and never yield!"

Between songs, he called his wife and told her the following: "Stop crying. I have to get these people out safely. If something should happen to me, I want you to know I've never been happier. You made my life." After successfully evacuating most of Morgan Stanley's 2,687 employees, he went back into the building. When one of his colleagues told him he too had to evacuate the World Trade Center, Rescorla replied, "As soon as I make sure everyone else is out"

He was last seen on the 10th floor, heading upward, shortly before the South Tower collapsed at 9:59 A.M. His remains were never found.

We lost a lot of good Americans that day, and I'm sure many of them had stories like Ricks. Just thought his was worth sharing with the OB on September 11th. May he rest in peace, the world could use as many men like him as we can get.

TheEyeGuy
AG
I just experienced chills... a smile... and sadness... This man, though not born in the US is exactly defines what Americans should strive to be and what kind of man we need more of here.
txyaloo
AG
From another article on him:

quote:
Rescorla was 62 years old, and suffering from prostate cancer on September 11, 2001. Nonetheless, he successfully evacuated all but 6 of Morgan Stanley's 2800 employees. (Four of the six lost included Rescorla himself and three members of his own security staff, including two security guards Vice President of Corporate Security Wesley Mercer, Rescorla's deputy.) Rescorla travelled personally, bullhorn in hand, as low as the 10th floor and as high as the 78th floor, encouraging people to stay calm and make their way down the stairs in an orderly fashion. He is reported by many witnesses to have sung "God Bless America," "Men of Harlech, " and favorites from Gilbert & Sullivan operettas. "Today is a day to be proud to be an American," he told evacuees.

A substantial portion of the South Tower's workforce had already gotten out, thanks to Rescorla's efforts, by the time the second plane, United Airlines Flight 175, struck the South Tower at 9:02:59 AM. Just under an hour later, as the stream of evacuees came to an end, Rescorla called his best friend Daniel Hill on his cell phone, and told him that he was going to make a final sweep. Then the South Tower collapsed.

Rescorla had observed a few months earlier to Hill, "Men like us shouldn't go out like this." (Referring to his cancer.) "We're supposed to die in some desperate battle performing great deeds." And he did.
It's disheartening to see what has happened to America over the last 15 years. I remember the patriotism and unity after the attacks which is in stark contrast to what we have today. I hope the country can find that unity again without another event like 9/11.

Here.
always gig em
AG
quote:
It's disheartening to see what has happened to America over the last 15 years. I remember the patriotism and unity after the attacks which is in stark contrast to what we have today. I hope the country can find that unity again without another event like 9/11.
TexasAgs1
He might not have been a graduate of Texas A&M, but he embodied the virtues and spirit of the university we all love. As did the rest of the men and women who went up when everything said to go down and get out.

Here.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
He might not have been a graduate of Texas A&M, but he embodied the virtues and spirit of the university we all love. As did the rest of the men and women who went up when everything said to go down and get out.

Here.

And there are so many stories like his from that day. To steal from a famous quote, "uncommon valor was a common virtue".
DiskoTroop
It was actually Rick's story that spurred me into corporate security. I always knew Law Enforcement and Military life wasn't for me but I've always had that urge to fight and protect my fellow man.

What a fantastic man and inspiration. Thanks for sharing again.
maverick2076
If you have never done so, go to Twitter and follow Ari Fleischer, Bush's press secretary. Every year he tweets the events of Sept. 11 as they unfolded, providing a look into how the day unfolded for the President. It's pretty moving.
TwoMarksHand
AG
I went to New York about a month ago and went through the 9/11 museum. And my gosh, I don't have the words to describe how great and humbling it was. We spent an hour or so there, but I could have easily stretched that into 3 hours or more.

Thanks for the story OP
Eliminatus
AG
I remember hearing bout this but didn't know the full details. Thanks for sharing that. What an incredible man and further proof that not all men are created equal. Some are elevated over others by virtue of their natures. I bet he never once even considered leaving himself. That sort of altruism seems to be lacking more and more in our younger generations.

BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
That sort of altruism seems to be lacking more and more in our younger generations.

It's always been popular to bemoan the lack of character or spirit of the youth.

I'd ask you to keep in mind that the younger generation of today so many look down upon has now been at war longer than any other generation in American history.

A casual stroll around the A&M campus should restore some faith in the ability and selflessness of the youth. Just because the media likes to highlight the idiots and the selfish ones doesn't mean they're all like that. Far from it.
dubi
Mr. Dubi
quote:

It's always been popular to bemoan the lack of character or spirit of the youth.

I'd ask you to keep in mind that the younger generation of today so many look down upon has now been at war longer than any other generation in American history.

Rather an interesting quote Bender. I was bemoaning what had become if America to my sons last weekend. My soldier/officer/cop son pointedtgis out to me.

It smarts to be humbled by one's own offspring.
OhAggie98
AG
Bender, thanks for this post. So many emotions swept through me as I read it, including pride, sorrow, and respect to name a few.

Would you mind if i shared your writeup on Facebook? I'll give credit to you in whatever way you would like.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Phenomenal human being.
ItsA&InotA&M
re: VN combat picture

When you are told to affix bayonets, you know s**t is going to get real, real fast.
aggiepublius
AG
If you haven't seen it, there is a new documentary on the attack on the Pentagon that day that premiered on PBS this past week that is worth watching. It has some details that I had never come across despite being very well read on the various aspects of that day - but most of the stories focus on NYC, which is understandable given the magnitude of the losses there.*

Some of the notes:
  • A team of 6 civilian pipe fitters and maintenance men went into the burning building to restore the water for the fighting fire around them.
  • Previous anti-terror protection measures made things worse that day.
  • The national command center continued to operate despite smoke coming into ventilation and defying calls to evacuate.

You can watch it here: http://www.pbs.org/program/911-inside-pentagon/

Another story that is a good read is about one of the 2 F16 pilots that was scrambled that day to attempt to intercept the Flight 93 or any other threat. It turns out they were unarmed despite often being shown in documentaries or footage as being fully armed with "white" missiles on their wings - which is just stock footage of planes. They launched aware it was likely to be a one-way mission. F-16 pilot was ready to give her life on Sept. 11

*I also think the Pentagon story also "suffered" in coverage as it wasn't as visually jarring as the loss of the towers. The gash in the facade was harder to place in context for many people, where as the WTC as one of the visual icons of NYC.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Bender, thanks for this post. So many emotions swept through me as I read it, including pride, sorrow, and respect to name a few.

Would you mind if i shared your writeup on Facebook? I'll give credit to you in whatever way you would like.

Most of what I shared is on Ricks Wikipedia page so no credit needed or wanted...but feel free to share his story.
Eliminatus
AG
quote:
quote:
That sort of altruism seems to be lacking more and more in our younger generations.

A casual stroll around the A&M campus should restore some faith in the ability and selflessness of the youth. Just because the media likes to highlight the idiots and the selfish ones doesn't mean they're all like that. Far from it.

A fair argument and certainly true locally. However, my thoughts are based off of personal experiences. At TAMU there is certainly a spirit of togetherness but that is the exception so far in my life. I am counted as one of the younger generation and am currently a student. I walk and live amongst them. I always wasn't a student here however and in other states the occasional jackass you see at TAMU seems to be the norm elsewhere. I am sure I am biased though and see what I want to see since I hate most of them on general principle. So there is that.

And the wars actually cover about two generations. Two very different generations. I served amongst the first generation and it's cool to chat with Marines that just recently separated and see and compare the differences. We saw the majority of the combat but they are the ones who got shafted in the end. Mostly through politics.

Either way, I am just glad I found a home here. Not for the general kindness shown to veterans as I don't really care about that but that same general kindness for others all around. It is not universal I promise you that. And kids learn from their parents. You would not believe how many times I have been stopped and received praise for common courtesy. Sometimes a simple yes sir, no sir, yes maam, no maam, and thank you completely stuns people outside of this state. It's simple but it's a basis of human interaction here in the south that is then built upon.

Back on topic about the OP. I highly encourage anyone who hasn't read the book to do so. The movie only covers about half of the events of that week. The good half. The movie doesn't mention the infantry battalion that was overran and butchered mercilessly in their attempt to reach Landing Zone Albany. Far more Americans died there than the actual LZ X-Ray. It's brutal stuff with Americans faking death as their wounded comrades are murdered all around them and documented instances of American airstrikes killing Americans left behind. It's very eye opening and sobering and is not the "Hollywood" treatment. I have always thought to truly appreciate our fighting forces you have to look at the defeats as well as the victories. I like to think I have seen my fair share of brutal warfare but I can't imagine what those men went through at either X-Ray or Albany. It is not hard for me to believe that Rescorla did what he did. An outstanding example of a true American(even if he wasn't born here).
Marauder Blue 6
AG
This is an outstanding biography of Rescorla.

dr_boogs
AG
Thanks for posting this Bender.
CanyonAg77
AG
Every Christmas, one should read Luke 2:1-20, to remind yourself of what it is about.

Every September 11, you should read about Rick Rescorla.

And having one kid who was in the Aggie Corps, and another who was in the cadet wing at USAFA, and meeting their friends and classmates....I have a much more positive view of the upcoming generation than many of you.

And for those who don't get the Zulu reference, the scene mentioned in the OP is below. Watch it and get chills. Incredible courage on both sides, really, but the Brits did not think they would survive.

CanyonAg77
AG
One more....I've read about Rescorla several times before, but I keep finding interesting things about him. The following is a long read, but worth it.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2002/02/11/the-real-heroes-are-dead

quote:
You see, for Rick Rescorla, this was a natural death. People like Rick, they don't die old men. They aren't destined for that and it isn't right for them to do so. It just isn't right, by God, for them to become feeble, old, and helpless sons of *****es. There are certain men born in this world, and they're supposed to die setting an example for the rest of the weak *******s we're surrounded with."

gigem70
AG
thanks for posting
TexasAggie_02
TexasAggie_02
AG
Someone needs to forward this to Clint Eastwood. This is a story that needs to be told.
Centerpole90
AG
I would much rather see the Clint Eastwood telling of this story than the feature film length version of a short story that Sully was. I mean that as a compliment - he can direct a compelling story, he just needs the right story to start with.
TwoMarksHand
AG
quote:
One more....I've read about Rescorla several times before, but I keep finding interesting things about him. The following is a long read, but worth it.

quote:
You see, for Rick Rescorla, this was a natural death. People like Rick, they don't die old men. They aren't destined for that and it isn't right for them to do so. It just isn't right, by God, for them to become feeble, old, and helpless sons of *****es. There are certain men born in this world, and they're supposed to die setting an example for the rest of the weak *******s we're surrounded with."

**** Ya! That could make me run head first through a brick wall.
BenderRodriguez
AG
A facebook friend mentioned Rick in a post, and I thought I would bump this thread for tomorrow.
alvtimes
Bender..... Ive never read that story before...... so never apologize for posting..... even 50 yrs after !!!! Thank you!
cuz-i-can
AG
This man is a hero and protector...no doubt. However, he was probably called a "Dwight Schrute" or whatever the terminology at the time...This man was correct all day long...
dubi
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Fantastic article.
drmwvr
AG
Hadn't seen before. Thanks for bumping.
P.U.T.U
AG
One of the most crazy things is when he was head of security of the Twin Towers he had someone fly him around the city and during that flight he said someone will one day attack the Towers from the sky since it was so easy to do and they could do nothing to stop it. After that is when he implemented evacuation procedures and training which saved hundreds of lives.

Talk about a life of service.
agenjake
Thank you for bumping the thread.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.