Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lake Limestone

14,953 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fwdbuddha
civilized05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm thinking about looking at some property on Lake Limestone and was wondering if you guys had any insight.

Is there a preferable part of the lake to live on, is there a part to stay away from, are any areas prone to flooding, is it a nice lake, is it good for fishing/recreational boating, stuff like that. I've never been to it personally, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Mainly looking at this as a weekend place and not for full time living.
gillom
AG
Love that lake for fishing. Not crystal clear but not muddy. For recreational boating lower half is your best bet. North of the powerlines is full of timber.
retiredintx
AG
We've had a place down by the dam (southeast side of lake) for 6 years. Couple of thoughts
1. Compare property tax rates (Leon -v- Limestone) the difference can make or break a deal
2. Watch property exposed to northern storms .... They can be interesting and challenge a bulkhead
3. North end = better fishing
4. South end - better waterspouts
5. Acreage.... We love the privacy and is very affordable
6. Avoid county parks, they can get crowded
7. Lots of BCS folks up there
civilized05
AG
Thanks for the replies. Went and checked out a place up there today and really liked it. The lake seemed really quiet.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Curious, is Limestone constant level?
retiredintx
AG
No
montanagriz
S
Hey civilized, where you looking? I'm building over at lake limestone and place next to me is for sale. Curious I'd we might be neighbors.... I'm over in lambs creek
Greeze06
AG
Water level fluctuates a lot. We have a place north of the bridge.

Love the privacy and being able to have acreage on a lake and shoot guns off my back porch.

Haven't done a ton of fishing but caught some monster crappie.
retiredintx
AG
What part of the lake resides the "monster crappie"? Time of year?
txaggie02
AG
Used to slaughter ducks on the north end during college. That lake holds alot of birds.
civilized05
AG
We're looking over in the Lies Branch area. From the map, it looks like it's right around the bend from Lamb's Creek.

For you guys that shoot and duck hunt (Greeze and txaggie), are there certain regulations for doing so or can you pretty much duck hunt anywhere on the lake? I know typically you've got to have over a certain number of acres to shoot on your property, does that still apply here?
John Cocktolstoy
quote:
We're looking over in the Lies Branch area. From the map, it looks like it's right around the bend from Lamb's Creek.

For you guys that shoot and duck hunt (Greeze and txaggie), are there certain regulations for doing so or can you pretty much duck hunt anywhere on the lake? I know typically you've got to have over a certain number of acres to shoot on your property, does that still apply here?
It's a draw. And last I checked cost $200. I believe there are 60 blind sites. People next door to us had two boys and they would come in and hunt with their dad and did well. But it is a matter of what you call well and how much work do you put into it.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
91AggieLawyer
AG
Sort of interested in there myself.

Recreational boating?

Is it a water source for a large community?

What will 100K get you in land -- preferably lake access (size wise)?
montanagriz
S
Place next to me is for sale....99k
2.37 acres
190 ft bulkhead
Pier
Electricity
Septic
civilized05
AG
Yep, that's the one we're looking at. May end up being neighbors, who's knows.
John Cocktolstoy
We all need to get together sometime out there.
Greeze06
AG
It's amazing what 150-200 will get you out there compared to other lakes in Texas.
cmag
Sunk a boat on a stump on the north side. That was a ****ty day. Great fishing lake though.
vpracer
AG
I have a lake house in Summerplace, a community of the west side of the lake. Love the area and love the lake. Very few boats on the water, even during holidays. Not many lake homes where you can have a fire pit in your back yard, shoot off fireworks on the 4th, etc. Try that on lake Travis. I even went and bought some land off lake where we shoot, hunt, ride wheelers and where I'll ultimately retire. Pretty country up there.
montanagriz
S
We should all get together. That would be nice.

Currently in process of splitting land among family. Waiting on lawyer to draw up paperwork and everyone sign.

Going to get power off of pole on the land for sale....hopefully. the current landowner has verbally agreed but waiting on his signature.

Looking at building a boat dock. Need suggestions other than Golden, pettigrew, or Hutchinson.

Thinking about drilling a well. Any suggestions other than mike winstead?

Haven't decided on builder yet but talked to a few. Always open to recommendations....

PM me if you prefer that method
retiredintx
AG
We're building another house on our property with Doak Construction out of Centerville...... He rivals the quality of our Ellis home in Miramont, but with Leon county prices. Honest, dependable and just good people... PM me with any questions.

Docks... Good luck, the 3 listed, Hutchinson, Golden and Pettigrew seem to be the only games in town.
John Cocktolstoy
I did not realize there were that many of us out there. Looks like I will have to enlarge the firepit!
retiredintx
AG
Well drilling ..... Double J Drilling 254-729-3762
Gator79
AG
We've had a weekend home there for a couple of years. The lake is the best kept secret in the Houston area. People look at you with a blank stare when you say Lake Limestone. And that's just the way we like it... never crowded.

The posts above pointed out several key things. I would add that the water depth (and ranges) at your lot and the sunset location would be the most important things to consider. A third thing to consider is cell phone reception. Reception is extremely hit or miss. Good at one house, bad right next door.
SunrayAg
AG
I don't live around there anymore, but we have a place about 1 mile from the lake in NW Leon County. They bought sand and gravel from my grandpa when they were building the dam. I spent a lot of time on the lake when I was younger, and remember some awesome crappie fishing.
John Cocktolstoy
My reception is great out on the water or at dock, can get spotty inside the house.
civilized05
AG
So it looks like we'll be the new guys on the lake! Paperwork looks like it's all good and we should be looking at closing on the property sometime early next month.

As of right now there's a mobile home on it that we'll look at fixing up, but the plan is for the immediate future to just have it as a camp house for weekend-type getaways. We'll end up building a family house later on down the road, but for now at least we've got someplace to crash. It's nothing fancy, but it'll do. I'll jot down the recommendations so far, as I'm sure we'll be needing them in the future.

KnightAg emailed me, so I've got his contact but if any of you other guys want to get together shoot me an email (user at gmail) and we can meet up on the weekends I or my family head up there to clean the place up and work on the property.

I'm super excited to be able to give my kids a place to go where we can all experience watersports and fishing together and have a place on a lake to call our own. My dad is deathly afraid of large-ish/large bodies of water, so that wasn't something we did growing up. It'll be awesome to be able to introduce my kids to that and be able to do it with them, hopefully for many years to come.
StillNotAnAggie
Congrats! Did you buy the place mentioned above it some other place? My wife is convinced she wants a place there and constantly looking.
civilized05
AG
We ended up getting the place mentioned above. The wife had seen it posted about 2 weeks back, so we went and looked at it a Sunday or two ago and really liked the location and layout of the property.

Now comes the fun part of cleaning up the property and getting everything ready for trips to the lake shack, which in all honesty I'm really looking forward to.

We've got some friends living in CS that are looking up there as well.

MasterAggie
AG
quote:
Curious, is Limestone constant level?
Not even close. Property values there are in the shi**er now. Good time to buy if you want to wait out the lake level being good again. Good lake for whites hybrids cats and crappie.
retiredintx
AG
Full pool is considered 363.0 and its 361.16 per bra yesterday. We've had consistently good water for almost 2 straight years.... We bought when the lake was down 10+ feet. Made an awesome buy on almost 3 acres.someine once told me to buy straw hats in the winter.
KALALL
AG
I grew up on Lake Limestone and am still out there a lot. The lake level fluctuates like crazy. It exists to provide water for the power plant so if it's a drought the power plant is going to keep pumping and the water level is just going to keep going down. Fortunately it'll fill up pretty quickly with a decent rain. The north end of the lake is closer to Groesbeck so it is where most of the locals are located. The south end around the damn is where more of the folks from out of town have property. Personally I like the fishing on the north end much better.
montanagriz
S
Hey Civilized05,

I sent you an email. Congrats!!!! We are neighbors!
maverick12
AG
I'm not very familiar with Lake Limestone. Other than being larger, how does it compare to Camp Creek?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Full pool is considered 363.0 and its 361.16 per bra yesterday. We've had consistently good water for almost 2 straight years.... We bought when the lake was down 10+ feet. Made an awesome buy on almost 3 acres.someine once told me to buy straw hats in the winter.
Nailed it.

It's far and away from Houston, Austin, & Dallas. Kinda in the middle of nowhere. Great place if you're willing to drive.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.