Outdoors
Sponsored by

Shipping Container Cabin (Photos Inside)

25,346 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nonameag99
Todd 02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm an absentee landowner of a rural property about an hour away from where I now live. Back in 2008, I started construction of a cabin. No sooner did we get it framed up and dried in did someone kick the front door in and ransack the place looking for stuff to steal. I promptly lost interest in it and have let it go to hell.

Fast forward seven years and a nasty 1969 model Avion camper and I started getting the itch to have some lodging of some sort again. At first I considered building smaller, lower profile cabins further back into the property. I was living about five hours from the place at the time and construction of that level just wasn't something I felt confident we could accomplish. Plus, as usual, I've always been on a pretty small budget for this place. I did quite a bit of research on shipping container cabins and decided that was the best option. They're immediately wind and water tight. They're secure. They're rodent proof (the camper sure wasn't). I bought all three containers from Xcaliber Container in Graham for $7,200 plus tax delivered.

Our relocation back in November 2015 brought us closer than ever before to the property and we got to work on finishing out the cabins once we got settled at home. I've been through a number of design iterations and they certainly aren't finished yet, but I figured some of y'all might appreciate seeing the progress so far.

The cabins are 8'x20' and I've finished the inside with 2x4 framing 24" O.C., batt insulation, and hardboard paneling. I installed 6,000 Btu window units. Each of them are powered by 2,800 watt Champion inverter generators and, when finished, will have queen sized bunks installed at the rear and a small closet for a portable toilet up front. The total square footage comes in at ~131 SF. We had the door shut this past weekend while we paneled the interior and the A/C unit kept up just fine. Heating them with 1,500 watt space heaters in the winter should be no problem.

On to the photos...

Didn't snap a picture after I cut the last piece of siding...

From here, I've got one more panel to install, laminate flooring to install, a closet to frame out, trim, electrical, storm doors, and bunks. I decided to run the electrical in metal conduit surface mounted to the walls. Plus, each of them will get smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.

At the end of the day, I expect each of them to be in the $3,500 - 4,000 range each on total cost.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Looks good, I probably would of put a door in with a window, but i saw you mentioned storm doors yet to be installed.

Are you going to go full bore with a bathroom or no?
SECeded
Hoyt Ag
AG
Looks awesome. I wanted to do this when I built my cabin this spring, but I did not have the room. I went with an 8x16 shed style and love it. Building your own place is such a good time.
Todd 02
AG
I don't have septic and don't really want to go there, so I'm thinking portable toilet at this point. I'm actually looking at designing a built in DIY toilet with a removable tank. Right now we just have a toilet seat on legs. Another option is a compost toilet.

My first design included a full bathroom (shower, sink, and toilet), but that comes with the burden of a permitted septic system, running water, and a water heater. Water heater means gas or more electric than an inverter generator can provide. 120V point-of-use water heaters are generally ineffective unless the water is already at or near the temperature you want. Our groundwater is in the 65F range and I can really only get it to 80-90F with enough flow to actually take a shower. I looked at running electricity, but I wasn't comfortable with cutting a ROW for the line and exposing my camp to the highway.

I might look at a DIY solar water heater and a separate shower that could be used in the summer months to rinse off after working all day.
AgEng06
AG
Looks awesome Todd
Bird Poo
AG
Solar heaters have come a long way. I would certainly look into that!
EFE
AG
Here's some pics of our setup:

We set out false wall back from the front doors about 6ft and set the ac unit there so we didn't have to blow a hole in the side so someone couldn't kick it in or have critters crawl in through it.

Inside:
AgEng06
AG
Looks good.

Also, your first pic isn't showing up because it has a TA-censored word in the imgur link. - Nevermind. You fixed it while I was typing.
rtsingleton
AG
T&P when someone closes the exterior doors and locks you in while you're sleeping
wesag
AG
I still think it is crazy all the stuff people at willing to steal. I get that people are on drugs and poor, but damn
EFE
AG
That's why you lock one of the hasps in the closed position while the doors are open so they can't
Naveronski
Todd 02
AG
quote:
That's why you lock one of the hasps in the closed position while the doors are open so they can't
Bingo!
Terk
AG
Build the bunks a bit higher and then slide all of your personal **** under there. Build wheeled carts if you wanna get really fancy.

With no insulation, does it get stupid hot in there, or do you have some shade/tree cover?
EFE
AG
We're tall folk in my family, I'm the shortest at 6'2". We measured the bunks so even the tallest at 6'6" wouldn't bump his head no matter which bunk he might decide to take over while he was down. There's actually about 16" clearance under the XLtwin bunks.

ETA-it's under mesquite trees, and we are usually out doing something outside when we're at the ranch. We'll kick the AC on in the late afternoon-early evening to get it cooled off to sleep and then cut the unit off in the AM once we all get out moving. In the winter everyone is under blankets or sleeping bags and we'll run one little heater just to take the bite out of the air so we don't end up with bag rats who waste all their time in the rack while at the ranch.
aggiepublius
AG
Looks Good.

I have seen some designs by architects using the Shipping containers as a base to build upon but they weren't usually worried about security. I think I saw one that had a side wall that could be raised and and lowered with windows behind it but it had to be silly money.

Second questions about temps? I know there is a one in West Texas called Cinco Camp that they built a simple pole frame and sheet metal frame to provide shade. They also raised the container up a couple of feet to provide convective cooling.

I could also see hinged tables that fold up like on small boats or wall mounted "murphy beds" if one really wanted to maximize.

I know I am about to link to the NYTimes but they had a slide show of one guy's setup in Brewster County that used 5 containers. They were connect by a metal grid panel walkway deck that has a built-in grill on the railing that looked sweet.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/07/15/garden/20090716-rogerblack-slideshow_index.html

dahouse
AG
For the shower:

Install a dark colored tank on top of the conex. It will be scald your a$$ hot in the summer and "warm" in the later months.

Saw a setup on a BBQ pit for hot running water. 300 gallon tank up high at the front. Ran tubing down and coiled it a few times inside the insulated space of the firebox (the air space betwixt the inner and outer wall).

I'll be damned if the water didn't come out hot for washing dishes and such (or to rinse off some chemically altered people late at night)
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
forumjunkie
I've always wanted to do something like this... This is by far the best way to keep the critters out. Looks good Todd
aggiepublius
AG
Found the floor plan of the one I posted earlier.

Wouldn't have thought of using sliding doors interior dividers as opposed to wall and door.

schmellba99
AG
You could install a tank on the roof and run it through a solar heater for water. During the summer, it would be hot enough that even a point of use heater would probably unecessary. Would still have one for the winter months though.

As far as septic - all you really need are a couple of 55 gallon drums. Line in, leach line out. Add some rid-x or baker's yeast when you are there and you should be fine. You just need something to digest the solids. Hell, if you have enough land, an old fashioned cesspool will work just fine - basically a pit that your sewer and gray water dump into. Nature does its thing. You just want it far enough away that wind direction is not critically important.
Todd 02
AG
quote:
You could install a tank on the roof and run it through a solar heater for water. During the summer, it would be hot enough that even a point of use heater would probably unecessary. Would still have one for the winter months though.

As far as septic - all you really need are a couple of 55 gallon drums. Line in, leach line out. Add some rid-x or baker's yeast when you are there and you should be fine. You just need something to digest the solids. Hell, if you have enough land, an old fashioned cesspool will work just fine - basically a pit that your sewer and gray water dump into. Nature does its thing. You just want it far enough away that wind direction is not critically important.
I agree on the solar water heater. The shipping containers aren't meant to support much weight except on the corners, but I suspect I could build a stand to support 40-60 gallons and make it work.

As for the septic... Based on my interpretation of the rules, I'd be fine with a DIY septic if I only had one cabin. But since I have three cabins, I'd need to meet the OSSF rules from our friendly environmental regulatory agency in Austin.

quote:
(2) No planning materials, permit, or inspection are required for an OSSF for a single family dwelling located on a tract of land that is ten acres or larger and: (A) the OSSF is not causing a nuisance or polluting groundwater; (B) all parts of the OSSF are at least 100 feet from the property line; (C) the effluent is disposed of on the property; and (D) the single family dwelling is the only dwelling located on that tract of land.
And no cesspools...
quote:
(i) Unauthorized systems. Boreholes, cesspools, and seepage pits are prohibited for installation or use. Boreholes, cesspools, and seepage pits that treat or dispose of less than 5,000 gallons of sewage per day shall be closed according to 285.36 of this title (relating to Abandoned Tanks, Boreholes, Cesspools, and Seepage Pits). Boreholes, cesspools, and seepage pits that exceed 5,000 gallons of sewage per day must be closed as a Class V injection well under Chapter 331 of this title (relating to Underground Injection Control).
Naveronski
AG
Define "single family dwelling".

Does a dog trot cabin still qualify as a "single family dwelling"?
Todd 02
AG
quote:
(67) Single family dwelling--A structure that is either built on or brought to a site, for use as a residence for one family. A single family dwelling includes all detached buildings located on the residential property and routinely used only by members of the household of the single family dwelling.
35chililights
AG
I like it Todd. I wish I had some green earth to drop one of these on.

A small private school here got three large ones, and connected them with a steel structure to use as their facility/utility building. I'll snap a photo when I get up there next, and post it here. Not sure how much it saved them in construction, but it is kinda interesting.
Dunbar
AG
quote:
I like this idea and have considered it myself for a rural recreational property. The one addition to consider is fabrication of burglar bars either inside on front of the AC or outside around the AC units because once someone rips that AC unit out (and eventually someone will) that's an entrance.

This x1000

Awesome job on the containers
Todd 02
AG
The A/C hole is 16-1/2" wide x 12-1/2" tall. A dirty rotten thief might make use of it for ingress and egress but they aren't likely to get much out through there. And they're gonna have to be damn small to go in and out.

It's not like they can gain access to the interior and then easily walk out the front door. At the very worst, it costs me an A/C unit.
Chazz03
AG
Those are made to stack right? I still think you could build a frame on top that spans the middle and keeps the load mainly on the corners. Good job regardless
Todd 02
AG
Made to stack...yessir.

I think I could do something like this:
AgLA06
AG
quote:
The A/C hole is 16-1/2" wide x 12-1/2" tall. A dirty rotten thief might make use of it for ingress and egress but they aren't likely to get much out through there. And they're gonna have to be damn small to go in and out.

It's not like they can gain access to the interior and then easily walk out the front door. At the very worst, it costs me an A/C unit.

Based on this. I'm going to go ahead and guess this isn't in South Texas.
EFE
AG
This is why our unit is built into the false wall behind the doors. From the outside its just a box. But hang an AC unit off the side and it must have something valuable inside it. (Only thing kept inside ours is linens and camp cookware when we aren't there)
MEENag
AG
Could you bury all but one end of these things in the side of a hill? That would go a long way toward climate control and make them less visible to trespassers.
Todd 02
AG
The walls and roof aren't strong enough to withstand forces exerted by the soil.

I think one could build a structure within the side of a hill into which a container could be placed, but I'd be leery of soil contacting the shell. At a minimum, the walls would need to be reinforced. Drainage would also be an issue since the containers are steel and will rust.
Burrus86
AG
Great thread, Gentlemen. I'm wanting to tear down our old ranch house and build something similar. I like the recessed entryway/AC configuration where the container doors can be closed. I like the idea of Murphy beds and tables, but regular bunk beds would be easier to build and easier to crawl in and out of. A small shower, toilet and sink in the corner with a DIY septic system would be easy to do.

Thinking about doing a second container for cooking and dining. Propane tankless heater. Might go with units that have doors on both ends, recess the entries, and set them north/south. Take advantage of the breezes during temperate times with screened doors or windows.

Todd 02
AG
quote:
This is why our unit is built into the false wall behind the doors. From the outside its just a box. But hang an AC unit off the side and it must have something valuable inside it. (Only thing kept inside ours is linens and camp cookware when we aren't there)
Whoever kicked the door in on our first cabin build also cut the padlock off of a cheap metal shed next to the cabin. They stole two half empty 5-gallon diesel cans and a ~70-pound cast iron cookware set, which they carried 100 yards to the road. Why they didn't cut the chain on the gate and drive on in makes zero sense to me. Then again, they're just dumb thieves.

In my opinion, the presence of a container in the middle of raw, uninhabited property says that there is something there so valuable that it cannot just be left outside. It might be tools. It might be a vehicle. It might only be deer corn. Who cares? With enough tools and enough time, a thief will find his way into anything.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.