Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cola Warrior Texas

7,272 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BreNayPop
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright, I mentioned this in another thread and a couple of people said it sounded fun. If anyone is interested in doing a run and gun event near Houston in two weekends (Aug 4-6th), enough folks are dropping out you can get on the standby list and likely get the chance to make a run.

What is it? A combination obstacle course/run/peep eating/coke chugging/pistol and rifle shooting/most likely vomiting.

Combined with some camping out, grilling, socializing with other people dumb/stupid enough to think any of that in August in Houston sounds fun.

You need to sign up for in in this thread over on ar15.com

OVERALL RULES:
You must sign liability release waiver for injuries before running course.
Bring legal form of Identification.
Follow all firearms safety rules.
No handling firearms after drinking.
No loaded firearms in camp.
No airsoft at this event. Do not bring them.
No items of a sexual nature, there are kids around.
Listen to CW Staff - if they tell you not to do something and you do it, you're done.
If you break any of these rules you will be banned from this and all future Cola Warriors.

COURSE RULES:
5 minute penalty for each failed obstacle.
Each obstacle must be attempted for at least 10 seconds.
5 minute penalty for each peep uneaten or spit out before chug.
5 minute penalty for each target left un-hit, one hit each steel target.
5 minute penalty for hitting pistol targets with rifle.
5 minute penalty for each Carbonated beverage unchugged.
10 minute total shoot time allowed, everything left after will be penalized.
10 minute total chug time allowed, everything left after will be penalized.
6x 12oz cans, 3x 24oz cans, or any other combination exceeding 72 ounces.
If you vomit before finishing a 12oz can, no matter how much is left that can it is a 5 minute penalty.
If you vomit before finishing a 24oz can, no matter how much is left that can is a 10 minute penalty.
If you vomit before finishing metric sizes or 2 liters, no matter how much is left, that is a 30 minute penalty.
Standard capacity magazines only. This includes the use of full size magazines on compacts or +baseplates.

I'll be out there Friday and Saturday...maybe Thursday too. If anyone is interested let me know, I've got room for one more in my tent (no spooning).

The Wonderer
AG
I made it through a minute of the video before realizing holy **** I'm out of shape and I don't think I could get past the tire. It looks fun though, give me a day or two to reevaluate.
The Wonderer
AG
What are the weapon requirements? I looked on the page and didn't see them (cursory look...).
AggieChemist
AG
Rock and roller cola wars I can't take it anymore.
bedofbrass33
AG
Always wanted to do this but my buddy is getting married that weekend. Hopefully next time.
BenderRodriguez
AG
One pistol, two mags. One rifle, two mags.

Rifle targets go out to 300m.
drummer0415
AG
If i didn't already have plans to be out of town that weekend I would be in.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Thought I'd do a post Cola Warrior update:

It was hot. and humid. And the mosquitoes came in swarms and were hungry. Very hungry.

It was also a total blast. I struggled with several of the obstacles, which I knew I would...too out of shape. I'll work on fixing that for next year. Had no problem with the peeps, the AK, or the run.

Pistol target was a Texas start at 25 meters. Rifle targets were 2 head/torso combos at 50m, two more targets at 100 and 200m, and a final target at 250m.

I cleared the pistol targets it with a mag and a half....it's amazing how much you shake when you're on a sugar high, just did a bunch of obstacles and then run half a mile through the freaking humid swamp at 3 pm. Could not keep gun study to save my life.

Cleared every rifle target but the 250. 50m head/torso combo was easy...close up, proned out and hit. 100 was similar. 200 was harder...behind a hill, so you couldn't take the easy way. Had to shoot it standing, when you're tired and heart is racing. Took me a couple shots, but I hit it too. 250 just didn't happen. I couldn't even see the dang target....no chance.

Chugging also went poorly. I suck at chugging coke.

The entire run was a miserable experience, but the run with a belly full of peeps is a philosophical experience. You spend the entire run questioning every decision you've made in life that lead to you thinking doing this was going to be fun.

But at the end, it's a damn good feeling knowing that even with enough sugar in you to make your eyes twitch, enough sweat obscuring your vision to make even finding the targets hard, and your heart racing enough that engaging small targets at 200m+ is about the most challenging shooting you've done....you did it.
Things I learned: Being in shape is good. Magnification on rifles is good. Lightweight rifles are good. Red dots on pistols are also nice. And the people willing to come out to an event like this are about the best people you could hope to meet. Had a great time, and can't wait to do it again next year.

Some pics in next post.

BenderRodriguez
AG
A view of the shooting course from where you shoot.

Rifle targets were all painted and hard to see, just to make things that much more fun.

This was the target at 250 that I couldn't find or hit:

A common sight afterwards:

A video of someone running the obstacles:

link

And a video of someone doing the shooting/chug portion. I only watched the shooting portion, but I assume this video is NSFW because I don't think many people chug without cursing at least a little bit. Also vomiting.

link2

So why on earth would anyone do this? Besides there being a lot of great people there, here is what the winner went home with: A complete upper, a rail, a trigger, and lots of other stuff. Total value is probably up there in the $1,000 range.

Heck, even the slow fat ones like me came home with lots of good stuff.

The first 75 who sign up and run get at a bare minimum a Geissele SSA-E (a $240 trigger) just for showing up and doing this...for free, and marked that it was earned at Cola Warrior:

They picked a great color for the shirts too...might have to wear this one down to a game this fall. So if you see someone tailgating wearing this, come say hi.

BreNayPop
AG
Niiice
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Niiice

I'll happily vomit anytime for a free SSA-E.

CharlieBrown17
AG
I must have been at Field Training when you posted about this originally.

I'm in if you go again next year!
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:

I'm planning on it, with a few changes. Lighter rifle, lighter person trying to use the rifle are both in the works.

I'll post up when they give us dates. They're talking about maybe moving it to spring-ish (April maybe) next year.

I can probably try to reserve a +1 if anyone here is serious about checking it out.

CharlieBrown17
AG
I'm in as long as I don't have Corps/USAF conflicts.

If there still an AK related obstacle I may have to get one of y'all to teach me up first. The junk food/O course/run then shoot sound like fun.

My AR isn't super light but I think I can hoof for a half mile well enough
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
If there still an AK related obstacle I may have to get one of y'all to teach me up first.

There will be. And it's just field stripping/reassembling the AK while you stuff your face with peeps.

If child soldiers in africa can do it, I'm sure you can. Come to think of it, one guy brought his ~10 year old son and had to show him how to do it right before he ran, and he got it done.
TheEyeGuy
AG
So... yeah.... I'm feeling a bit evil and I think I have the place to run something similar.... I'm feeling a bit evil tonight. Who's interested? Can hit arfcom up after filling with Texags. I'm, thinking, late Feb early March... not stupid hot. Call it the Angry Armadillo Run and yes... this fat boy will participate.
aggie4231
AG
I'm out.

I'm a horrible Texan that doesn't own any firearms (been a fishing pretty much my whole life).

Oh and this thing called Type II diabetes, means I'd probably die due to all the sugar.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
I'm out.

I'm a horrible Texan that doesn't own any firearms (been a fishing pretty much my whole life).

Oh and this thing called Type II diabetes, means I'd probably die due to all the sugar.
I was wondering if they'd allow Coke Zero and if there's such a thing as sugar free peeps. Otherwise that would be a metric crap ton of insulin and one really crazy ride.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'm down. I should NRA RSO certified by then as well if you want a hand with the show or a college kid to carry things.
BreNayPop
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm planning on it, with a few changes. Lighter rifle, lighter person trying to use the rifle are both in the works.

I'll post up when they give us dates. They're talking about maybe moving it to spring-ish (April maybe) next year.

I can probably try to reserve a +1 if anyone here is serious about checking it out.

Im definitely interested... Im tying to get both lighter and use my guns more.
BreNayPop
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm out.

I was wondering if they'd allow Coke Zero and if there's such a thing as sugar free peeps. Otherwise that would be a metric crap ton of insulin and one really crazy ride.
THEY DO SELL SUGAR FREE PEEPS!!!

BenderRodriguez
AG
Bumping this because a sign up thread is probably dropping on arfcom soon. Dates this year are going to be June 8th-10th.

I'll reserve a +1 if I can this year, so if anyone wants to obstacle, peeps, ak, run, shoot, chug, and vomit with me this year for a free SSA-E, first one to claim the +1 is in.

Anyone else is welcome to sign up too...even if you're not in the first 75, people will drop as the event gets closer so get on the standby list on the arf thread, show up and run and you might still get a free trigger....and either way will have a ton of fun.

BreNayPop
AG
Im still serious about being in this race. As an out of shape fat guy

Link to sign ups?
BenderRodriguez
AG
BreNayPop said:

Im still serious about being in this race. As an out of shape fat guy

Link to sign ups?

As soon as the thread drops I'll put a link in this thread.

Expect it sometime in the next week or two.

BreNayPop
AG
I will sign up... would love to be the +1 if that makes running this more likely.
BenderRodriguez
AG
BreNayPop said:

I will sign up... would love to be the +1 if that makes running this more likely.
I said first, and you were first so yep. You'll be the plus 1 if I get in quickly enough to have one.

Frankly if you show up you should be able to run at some point in the weekend if you're in the first 75 or not...but the early sign ups get the free triggers.

If you have any questions about the event let me know.
BreNayPop
AG
Thanks... the videos made it obvious enough that the pain was coming.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Dammit.

I'll watch for the thread.
CharlieBrown17
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

So... yeah.... I'm feeling a bit evil and I think I have the place to run something similar.... I'm feeling a bit evil tonight. Who's interested? Can hit arfcom up after filling with Texags. I'm, thinking, late Feb early March... not stupid hot. Call it the Angry Armadillo Run and yes... this fat boy will participate.

So....?
BreNayPop
AG
Im in. Lets go. Ill drive the 11 hrs to houston if ya wanna do this
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.