Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fishing question in Destin

3,207 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Josepi
HumbleAg04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think a good plan going forward is to try and book with a certain Captain directly. When giving trip reports or recommendations give a shout out to the individual Captain, Mate, Vessel and not the booking company.

If you call someone in that industry in the summer they aren't going to turn you away, they will book you on a trip, you need to clearly state WHO you want to fish with and if that person is already booked they will then communicate that to you.

It is also beneficial to book well in advance. Every negative experience I've had was us showing up on Saturday, figuring out who wanted to fish, pricing some trips, and booking what was available the day everyone wanted to do it. Some were good, Some were terrible.

A great example is the off shore vessel I prefer to fish with now. I just booked them for an October Rodeo trip and requested vessel, Captain, and Mate. The Captain's wife also books for other boats in the fleet and if I called and just gave a date and number of people I might not have gotten exactly what I expected.
MW13
AG
Yes I already have in writing who we are fishing with and where out of. That's why if it changes last minute I won't be pleased.

I understand the practice and woulda been fine had they said we contract out not sure who you'll be with yet. Now if I show up though and the location and captain changes that I won't be happy about it.
FirefightAg
AG
You'll be fine. Relax have a great trip drink some beers and catch fish. Oh yeah and post your catch. Fishing seems to be hot right now, so you should boat atleast a few
MW13
AG
That's the plan. We'll see what happens.
bigboykin
AG
To OP's question: totally legal with a shore license. And I have the opposite view of what somebody else posted... It should be common courtesy for the family strolling out at 10am with 12 obnoxious kids not to come set up shop right next to someone who has already staked out a fishing spot and has lines in the water. That's one of the main reasons I'm not a shore fisherman - there are very few tourists on boogie boards 25+ miles out.

quote:
Thinking of taking the kids on a party boat just to let them catch something. Anyone have any recommendations?

My dad's company rented out the Swoop a couple Saturdays ago, and we had a great experience. As with most party boat trips, it was mostly a two hook drop rig with cut bait for mingo/porgy type trip with lots of action and a good meat haul, but mostly small fish. There were some nice snapper caught though and a few smallish kings. The mates were very good, attentive, and professional even when late in the day we got thick into the bonito and half the boat got their lines tangled nearly a dozen times. I've fished with them before a few times over the years, and have had similarly good experiences.

Also, I haven't fished with him, but I've worked with Capt. Jim Green of American Spirit on unrelated contract work in the Gulf for years. If he's half as proficient and professional at fishing as he is at the work I've done with him, then he should be outstanding.

The best advice I can give for party boat fishing is to bring a towel for each fisherman (you'll want it for wiping fish/bait slime off your hands anyway), get there early, and as soon as the Capt/mates will let you aboard, stake out one or both of the stern corners (depending on size of your group) by tying your towel around the rod just above the reel. This location can make a world of difference in your trip. Less lines around you to get tangled with, more room for the mates to maneuver and close to the live well, so if the mates are working fly lines, jigging, using "special" baits, etc. you are positioned to take full advantage.

Tight lines, all!
mAgnoliAg
AG
Nothing happening at the fort Walton pier. All people are doing is catching hardtails 5 at a time. I didn't see anything good in the water. I hooked up to a sea turtle nobody was catching anything. But we ate all the snapper we caught the day before.

Edit: this was yesterday evening
Josepi
AG
quote:
And I have the opposite view of what somebody else posted... It should be common courtesy for the family strolling out at 10am with 12 obnoxious kids not to come set up shop right next to someone who has already staked out a fishing spot and has lines in the water. That's one of the main reasons I'm not a shore fisherman - there are very few tourists on boogie boards 25+ miles out.
I completely agree with this. I'm always amazed at how I can be fishing in the surf early in the morning, not a soul on the beach other than the early morning walkers, and a family will come and set up camp right next to me. They could have moved 50 yards in either direction and been fine, but they get in the water 10 feet from where I am.

I've given up though. I pack up once families start to arrive.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.