Outdoors
Sponsored by

What's an oak tree worth?

34,606 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by two1993ags
86Pilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Age of tree would not matter as much as the size. What was the circumference of the trees?

Once that is known then it is based on the ton

http://texasforestservice.tamu.edu/uploadedFiles/TFSMain/Manage_Forest_and_Land/Landowner_Assistance/Timber_Harvesting/Timber_Price_Trends/TTPPSeptember_Octoberweb.pdf
Thank you sir. That's the info I was seeking.
Chazz03
AG
quote:
quote:
Age of tree would not matter as much as the size. What was the circumference of the trees?

Once that is known then it is based on the ton

http://texasforestservice.tamu.edu/uploadedFiles/TFSMain/Manage_Forest_and_Land/Landowner_Assistance/Timber_Harvesting/Timber_Price_Trends/TTPPSeptember_Octoberweb.pdf
Thank you sir. That's the info I was seeking.
http://www.americanstavecompany.com/boardfootcalc.html

This may be more helpful being that it will be hard to estimate the tonnage after the fact.
duddleysdraw88
AG
What a ****ty FIL..... his last name wouldn't by chance rhyme with Dowell would it????

The good news is that you do live oversees and don't have to put up with his arse every single day. Hopefully things can be worked out and you can forgive each other in the long run.

As I stated previously.... lawyers, the only profession on the face of the earth that if there were none, we wouldn't need any!
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
As I stated previously.... lawyers, the only profession on the face of the earth that if there were none, we wouldn't need any!
He doesn't represent all of us as a whole!
Canyon99
**** that guy and I'm ashamed he's an Ag. I hope this all turns out well for you and your wife.
cadetjay02
AG
I ran into an old ag civil engineer up in McKinney that is a complete ahole. They're out there. Who knows, I might be one someday.
STX Ag
AG
So you gonna tell us what you said at the roast, or what?
cadetjay02
AG
Yeah, there were cell phone cameras 6 years ago. There has to be video.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
I ran into an old ag civil engineer up in McKinney that is a complete ahole. They're out there. Who knows, I might be one someday.
I'm interested to know this. I'm a young civil in McKinney (live there don't work there), so hopefully it wasn't me!

You can pm (or not) if you feel more comfortable.
BrazosDog02
AG
quote:
Bad situation. If your wife loves her dad, you should extend the olive branch.

Agreed. Maybe extend it several times....focusing on the posterior.
cledus6150
AG
I'm sorry but having a degree from tamu in forestry and hearing 200+ old tree is a pet peeve of mine, it drives me nuts. I know it's off topic but I'd bet that they arnt that old, counting rings is not necessarily indicative of age. As often enough especially in wet or prime habitats trees often have false rings. Unless a core sample was taken and sent to the lab te best you can do is guess. As far as marketable, you need to factor in how much clear wood the tree had as well as truck and limb area. Being an old tree it likely had more usable wood in the limbs than in the trunk. What type of oak was it, that goes a long way to value as well. If you can post pictures of the leaves we can identify it for you. Also timber prices fluctuate, quite a bit so you'd really have to contact the lumber yard they went to and get the weight slip to know tonnage and price per ton they where bought at.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
So you gonna tell us what you said at the roast, or what?
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
What is an oak tree worth?
You're looking for a dollar value of an oak tree, but the real question is what is the dollar value of the inheritance you and your wife should be getting. Tell him you'd like to use that oak to build a bridge and get over it because you're running out of family holidays left to make amends for your stupidity 6 years ago.
FrioAg 00
AG
I'm taking a wild ass guess here, but I suspect there were at least hints of animosity before said "roast" and it had more to do with you voicing it than what was even said.

My only question is why the hell you ever signed a purchase agreement you didn't understand?
salvatore_ditmars
i want to believe OP because the old fart FIL seems like a real POS, but one part of the roast story troubles me - whether or not the old guy deserved roasting, the son in law shouldnt have been the first one with the mic at that 70th birthday party. that part makes me think OP is either trolling or is a much bigger jerk than he is letting on.
DuckDown2013
AG
IN LIKE FLINT.
duddleysdraw88
AG
quote:
quote:
He doesn't represent all of us as a whole!
I know, i know...... my attorney buddies tell me the same thing!
aggie_wes
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
i want to believe OP because the old fart FIL seems like a real POS, but one part of the roast story troubles me - whether or not the old guy deserved roasting, the son in law shouldnt have been the first one with the mic at that 70th birthday party. that part makes me think OP is either trolling or is a much bigger jerk than he is letting on.
Maybe he knew it wasn't a roast but thought it would be funny to lead with a roast and it worked too well so he stuck with the story that he didn't know.
combat wombat™
AG
Does he know how pissed off you are? Because if he doesn't, and you want to REALLY want to get under his skin, make him think he did you a favor. You'd been wanting to take those trees down but just didn't have the time to mess with it.

Because, let's be serious, are you really going to get in a legal pissing match with your wife's father? Might cause a LOT of friction in your marriage... even though I think you have more than enough cause to kick him in the nuts.
VanZandt92
That sucks right there.
VanZandt92
Man just commiserate. He ain't lookin for you to look out for his marriage. This is a clearing of his frustrations with the fellas.
MemphisAg1
AG
Another Aggie forester here. Spent years managing forests on an industrial scale and buying/selling timber. If they were decent to high quality oaks, they could be worth $300 per thousand board feet to maybe $500. It all depends on the quality of the timber, distance to a sawmill, and number of sawmills in a geographic area. The more sawmills, the higher the competition, and the higher the price. The converse is true also.

A fully loaded log truck can hold up to five thousand board feet. So you're looking at $1,500 to $2,500 of stumpage value per log truck.

How many trees on a log truck? Again, depends on size, but if they're big (20" to 30" at breast height... not ground level), think of 10 to 20 per truck as a ballpark range.

Hope this helps.
Potlicker
AG
quote:
He's a damn sneaky lawyer at that. When he did the paperwork he cut out the 50' strip giving him access to another county road on the back side of his place. He also gave himself a first right of refusal to buy the place if we ever decide to sell it. And get this: the first right of refusal is at the original purchase price 20 years ago. This is his claim anyways (when I threatened to sell the place 10 years ago he laid that gem on me). So while doing all the legal work for the transaction he gave himself about 2 acres of land (50' X a quarter mile or so) and a FROR at the original purchase price. He's a real winner. An Ag too. If you can believe it
There's gotta be more to this as well as the roast.... What's this old sneaky Ag's TexAgs handle? Time to get him to this thread
Brewmaster
AG
whatever happened here? I was literally looking for info on valuing Live Oaks and came across this.

my apologies 86Pilot, hope life and the FIL are treating you better.
Ragoo
AG
Aw man, was hoping the old ****er died.
Redstone
AG
I get along with my father-in-law just find. In fact, when we visit, he buys me a case of Yuengling.
schmellba99
AG
I, too, want to get some closure on this story.

As far as the value of the tree, when i was working in SA, oaks were valued at $1,000 per inch caliper for fine value. Replacement was, I believe, at 1.5x caliper for our project.
two1993ags
See a lot of information about tree value related to tree ordinances on here and reference to intrinsic value. Neither of those will hold up if this goes to court and FIL has experienced expert witness who practices in urban forestry or forestry. Plaintiff and defendants have to Agee the damage is temporary before intrinsic value applies. Even if intrinsic value exception is used the economic feasibility exception limits how much intrinsic value can be recovered. If intrinsic value grossly exceeds the contributory value the trees provide the real estate they are located on you'll be limited to the 25-30% of the real estate value trees provide. Basically Texas Supreme Court ruled no trees are worth more than 30% or so of any given area of real estate.
That's a short and simple explanation of a complex situation. Have used on cases I've served defendant and had it used against me when serving plaintiff. Put whatever value you want On em to file a demand...if it gets to trial you'll be faced with the economic feasibility exception cap.
Mas89
AG
Well tx dot Damn sure didn't give a value to my huge hackberry trees when they made their offer/eminent domain "Appraisal". Do they have to pay for Trees??? I sure will miss them.

86 pilot at least you may get to pick his nursing home someday.
Shoefly!
AG
We had a huge Live Oak that fell over just after a charge was set off next to it from a seismic crew. We contacted a professor from TAMU, I believe in the forestry dept and according to the size was worth 22k. The seismic company sent a ck for 2k. My FIL didn't want to fight them and settled with them. That was many moons ago.
two1993ags
Best he didn't fight them. As I posted earlier you can demand any value you want...and some will pay the demand prices. But if it gets to mediation or trial and other side has experienced expert forester typically are not gonna get more than contributory value of trees to the real estate value. Probably wasn't the seismic companies first experience with this and knew the court presedence. More so now than in past as Texas Supreme Court opined on this in 2014 or so.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.