Outdoors
Sponsored by

Boyscout Thread

10,957 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Swarely
Tyrone_The_Tuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How many former Boy Scouts do we have on the OB?

-Eagle Scout

-Arrowman (I went through the Brotherhood ordeal and received my sash, but since I never wrote a letter to district after I technically never completed it and am still viewed as an Arrowman.... I still wear the brotherhood sash )

-Troop 588/145 Mission Bend area of Houston
-Favorite Merit Badge: Archery or Radio
-Least Favorite: Family Life, Personal Management or Computers
- Was never able to do high adventure
-River Camp at El Ranco Cima is one of my favorite places in the state
Pooh Ah
AG
River camp at El Ranco Cima was washed away by the floods last year.
Breggy Popup
AG
Arrowman? Is that what they call Ordeal nowadays?
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
quote:
Order of the Arrow (OA) is the organization within BSA.... Once you have completed the Ordeal you become an Arrowman. After basic Arrowman you can become brotherhood or vigil with more years of service and politicking
Caliber
AG
-Eagle Scout

-OA-Vigil Honor

-Troop 1631 - Sugar Land
-Favorite Merit Badge - Metal Work
-Least Favorite - Personal Management
-Favorite Trip was Northern Tier - Atikokan Base
-Favorite Texas summer camp was also El Rancho Cima Rivercamp
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG

quote:
-OA-Vigil Honor

Good on you!
Papa_Blaze
AG
Eagle Scout

-Troop 789 - San Antonio
-Favorite Merit Badge - Wilderness Survival
-Least Favorite - All 3 Citizenships
-Favorite Trip- Of course Philmont
-Favorite Texas summer camp- Buffalo Trails

The Badge you've earned that made you feel like you're finally a man- Polar Bear Swim Badge
SabineAg
AG
-Eagle Scout

-Arrowman
-Troop 2 Houston, Tx
-Favorite Merit Badge= Golf
-Least Favorite Merut Badge= Citizenships
-Favorite Camp= Philmont
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
-Eagle Scout
-Arrowman (Ordeal)
-Troop 448, Oak Hill
-Favorite MB: Hiking, Orienteering, and Pioneering
-Least Favorite MB: Dentistry
-Philmont in '88, '90, and '91 (still one of my favorite places on earth)
-SPL of Troop 1604 at the National Jamboree in Ft. A.P. Hill, VA in '89

DriftwoodAg
AG
Tiger Cub, Cub Scout, Webelos

after that, we did not have anybody willing or able to lead us. My dad was an Eagle Scout, so I always wished I could have continued
Agineer
AG
Eagle Scout

-Arrowman
-Troop 384 - Rendon, TX
-Favorite Merit Badge - Wilderness Survival
-Favorite Trip - 50 mile backpacking at Spanish Peaks, Colorado
-Favorite Texas Summer Camp - Constantin/Jack D Furst Aquatic Base
HumbleAg04
AG
Eagle
Vigil Honor

NJLIC at Philmont was my favorite trip. Being part of running Colonneh Lodge like Tammany Hall prepared me for the real world more than anything.
JR69
AG
Three generations of Eagle Scouts in my family - my dad 1939, me 1964, and my son 2005. My grandfather was the first First Class Scout in the state of Oklahoma. Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Summer Camp Staff at Avondale Scout Reservation, near Clinton, LA, Den Leader (3-1/2 yrs) Assistant Scoutmaster, Scoutmaster, Unit Commissioner, Troop Committee Member, Wood Badge Eagle and Wood Badge Staffer, Council JLTC staff, Council NYLT Staff and Scoutmaster, Brotherhood member OA, District Executive (a job I hated and left after 2 years).

Summer Camps attended as a youth: Worth Ranch (Longhorn council), Avondale Scout Reservation (Istrouma Area Council), 50th Anniversary National Jamboree 1960, Colorado Springs.

Summer Camps attended as an adult: Peaceful Valley Scout Ranch (Denver Area Council), Camp Alexander (Pikes Peak Council), Chimayo Scout Reservation (Great Southwest Council), 100th Anniversary National Jamboree 2010 Ft A.P.Hill, VA

High Adventure as an adult: Northern Tier (2), Philmont Trek (2)

Philmont Training Center: Two times

As a youth, my favorite Merit Badge was Marksmanship (now called Rifle Shooting) and my least favorite were all three Citizenship badges.

I had more fun as an adult than I did as a youth. Now retired from Scouting but I've seen a lot of changes in the program over 60 years - some for the better and some not in my opinion.
spencerdhg
AG
-Eagle Scout

-Arrowman
-Troop 16 Houston, Tx
-Favorite Merit Badge= Archery
-Least Favorite Merut Badge= Any of the Citizenships
-High Adventure - Northern Tier Boundary Waters (Canada) '94, Philmont '96, and did my college internship at Sea Base in '01 to complete the trifecta.
-Favorite Camp - Lost Pines
cr06gis
AG
Eagle Scout

Troop 340, Hurst (Longhorn Council)

Summer camps at Sid Richardson, Constantine, Cherokee, San Isabel (CO)

Philmont

Camp Packard (?) High Adventure in CO

RebelE91
AG
Life Scout, Arrowman
Troop 148 in Sugar Land
Four summer camps at El Rancho Cima River Camp. I loved every minute I was out there. Also attended Tres Ritos, NM.
Philmont in 1984
Favorite merit badge: Orienteering. It wasn't the most fun, but the most satisfying. Still remember the heat at Cima.
Least favorite: Any of the Citizenships.
Breggy Popup
AG
quote:
quote:
Order of the Arrow (OA) is the organization within BSA.... Once you have completed the Ordeal you become an Arrowman. After basic Arrowman you can become brotherhood or vigil with more years of service and politicking
Yes I know what OA is. I never heard the term Arrowman used before, or it just didn't stick in the memory banks.
Breggy Popup
AG
quote:
-Eagle Scout

-OA-Vigil Honor

-Troop 1631 - Sugar Land
-Favorite Merit Badge - Metal Work
-Favorite Trip was Northern Tier - Atikokan Base
-Favorite Texas summer camp was also El Rancho Cima Rivercamp
Small world!

- Troops 1631 then 441 - Sugar Land

- Eagle Scout w/ 2 palms
- OA Brotherhood - Karakawa Lodge and Colonneh Lodge
- Least favorite merit badge - Environmental Science
- Favorite merit badge - Too many to list
- Favorite trip - Philmont
- Loved both Cima and Karankawa for summer camps
JR69
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yes I know what OA is. I never heard the term Arrowman used before, or it just didn't stick in the memory banks.
I always heard the term "Arrowman" used as a generic reference to any member of the OA.
HumbleAg04
AG
I always used Ordeal->Brotherhood and Vigil Honor was a committee of peers after you met some very specific service requirements. It has always meant the most to me because you couldn't just check boxes to get it.
Kenneth_2003
AG
-Eagle Scout

-Arrowman/Ordeal whatever it was. Took a while to get in since some knuckleheads for a few years thought it would be fun to write in names like Micky Mouse, Donald Duck etc. I still have no respect for several of those older losers. Was inducted my next to last year and actually had to go searching for an Ordeal since we got shipped to Karankawa from Cima due to a flood in 97(?). Completed my Ordeal at Strake on a torn ACL.

-Troop 80 Sharpstown area of Houston
-Favorite Merit Badge: Hard to say... Aviation, Motorboting, Photography...
-Least Favorite: Citizenships....
-High Adventure: Sailing from Laguna Madre to Corpus & finally got to go to Philmont in 1999
HumbleAg04
AG
quote:
-Eagle Scout

-Arrowman/Ordeal whatever it was. Took a while to get in since some knuckleheads for a few years thought it would be fun to write in names like Micky Mouse, Donald Duck etc. I still have no respect for several of those older losers. Was inducted my next to last year and actually had to go searching for an Ordeal since we got shipped to Karankawa from Cima due to a flood in 97(?). Completed my Ordeal at Strake on a torn ACL.

-Troop 80 Sharpstown area of Houston
-Favorite Merit Badge: Hard to say... Aviation, Motorboting, Photography...
-Least Favorite: Citizenships....
-High Adventure: Sailing from Laguna Madre to Corpus & finally got to go to Philmont in 1999
If you did your Ordeal at Strake in 1997 there is a solid chance I did your ceremony or at least helped organize/run the Ordeal. We'd drive in from Atascocita/Kingwood and do the majority of the Ordeal and Brotherhood ceremonies for Strake during the summer.

My "favorite" memory from an Ordeal at Strake was when two kids were carrying a tall skinny sapling to a brush pile while clearing brush and carried it vertically across the road... with the power lines. A zap, a flash, and a downed live line in the middle of the road. To this day I don't know how nobody got hurt.... I wonder who saw it before it happened and took the ban on talking too seriously.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I was on one of the "makeup" Ordeals in the Fall. Probably in September or early October.

I'll never have much respect for some of the guys ahead of me. I was the only member of my Patrol that wasn't prevoiusly in the Pack that was associated with that same church. That said, I got along with my Patrol well, but didn't have the relationship with the older guys the rest of my Patrol had. All of my Patrol mates (that were still active) made it in over a two year period. For whatever reason those older guys just liked to pick on me, and it carried down to the next patrol. There was a year or so IIRC that we didn't induct anyone due to stupid write-ins. We always held elections at some annual meeting that attracted the members (many that were then active in Explorers) that hadn't darkened the door in months. Like I said, to this day I have zero respect for any of them.

Especially the one that could have cost me Eagle. He turned 18 and became a merit badge counselor for numerous badges; including several Eagle track badges. Thankfully I never used him. Whole mess blew up a couple years later and got my Troop's Eagle packets halted for months, mine included. Giant CF. I had everything completed several months before my 18th birthday. I was well past 18 when I finally got my board of review.
HumbleAg04
AG
Fall or Spring make up and I'm positive I did it. Kids are mean sorry you dealt with it.
BMach
AG
Eagle
OA
Troop 155 Georgetown Tx
Favorite trip was canoeing the Buffalo River in Arkansas, and, of course, Philmont.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Then I was there, toughing it out with nothing but a neoprene sleeve to stabilize that knee and more than willing to devour the hard boiled eggs that the picky eaters didn't want!
The Ordeal and the steps you take to get there are all life lessons in growing into a man!
K_P
AG
Eagle
Troop 102 - Boerne, Texas

Favorite merit badge: water skiing and aviation
Favorite trip: Philmont, best part was Valle Vidal

I remember when I was about 12 one of my friends wasn't in Boy Scouts. I asked him why not and he said that his dad "could teach him everything about being a man he needed to know." I asked my dad about that and he wisely said that he could never teach me everything and that's why he signed me up for scouts.

We had a great troop, lots of dads involved. We went camping each month to some really cool places. Some of my best memories were those trips.

Now that I live in Houston, I'd like to get involved with scouts again. Not sure what I'd do as a 24 yr old with no kids. Might be perceived as a little weird.
AtlAg05
AG
quote:
Eagle Scout

Troop 340, Hurst (Longhorn Council)

Summer camps at Sid Richardson, Constantine, Cherokee, San Isabel (CO)

Philmont

Camp Packard (?) High Adventure in CO

Not too far away from you.

Eagle
Troop 250, Bedford
Favorite I think it was called pioneering, but we built a 25 ft bridge out of trees and rope.
Order of the arrow
Packard as well, Rockies hiking and white water rafting
JR69
AG
quote:
Might be perceived as a little weird.
One of the best Assistant Scoutmasters I ever had was a single Air Force E-5 in his early 20s. The kids loved him, I'm sure partly because he was closer to their age than any of the other adults in our troop.

If you are willing to be trained, there are troops all over that can use a good ASM or even a committee member, or there is always the District Committee or Unit Commissioner positions. You can't really do a good job at any of those positions without getting the training to learn "the Boy Scout way" from the adult perspective, but I'd bet you that if you dropped in to the Council office and talked to the District Executive for where you live, he or she could get you going in the right direction. I loved being a scout, but the time I spent in Scouting as an adult gave me some of the most rewarding times of my life.
proc
AG
Eagle Scout, son is also an Eagle.

Longhorn Council
OA Brotherhood, Chapter Chief
Worth Ranch Staff 2 yrs, Clan De Los Brazos De Dios
Sid Richardson Staff 3 yrs
Aquatic School Staff 3 yrs
Favorite high adventure was Philmont.
Troop 179
Post 52

Favorite Merit Badge, Lifesaving. Taught that Merit Badge for 5 yrs.
Least Favorite Merit Badge, Envioronmental Science. It was a pita for me.

Real glad to see so many scouters here. I could care less about high school reunions, but when my troop or post reunites, I am there.
Knotman
Eagle-
Brotherhood
Troop 91 (SE Minneapolis)
51 merit badges so I could wear 1 of each palm (Incorrectly)

Favorite was shooting - (I was a competitive shooter from age 12), worst was Physical FItness (I have a bad leg)
Every other year we went to long term summer camp (Many Point in N. Minnesota) alternated with canoe trips (did the upper Mississippt) Best trip was 1975 - drove down to TX - Port Aransas & camped on the beach (Jaws was the summer movie) took us a week to get up the nerve to go swimming. Went to out fishing, bought fireworks and got sunburned. I was 21 - adult leader that trip. I was the only one of 4 boys in the family in Scouts.
Son started Cubs in Minn, finished them in North Carolina, did Boy Scouts in Iowa - got his Eagle in Iowa. I'll try to get him to post his story.

texaggie61
AG
Received my Eagle Scout July, 1952. Served as a Counselor at Camp Strake. Rode bicycle from Baytown to Camp Strake. Attended national Jamboree at Irvine Ranch, California. Helped build El Rancho Cima. The deal of a lifetime paid $7.00 week, worked half day and played half day. The $7 was for three great meals each day. Scouting was some great times and those times are among my fondest.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Eagle Scout here, '07.

Too many great memories and trips to list them all.

Troop 395, Austin.
OA
Best campouts: Shotgun shooting campout; "Mystery" campout...we had a great Scoutmaster and leaders. Put on very involved and problem solving, learning camping trips.

Best memory: Boundary waters trip. I'd never trade that trip for anything. Want to return.
Scotty88
AG
Arrow of Light for me, but I have been ASM for 7 years. As a kid, we moved and I never had a Scout troop to join when I was older.

I have one son who is an Eagle, NYLT, NYLT staff, and OA Brotherhood with two trips to Philmont, Sea Base and Atikokan NT. I was blessed to Triple Crown with him.

He went to Aggie-Eagle program at TAMU. He is going to be a Fightin' Texas Aggie CT this Fall.

Son 2.0 is Life. We are doing shakedowns for Philmont this summer and Seabase next summer. He is up for OA Brotherhood next weekend.

Son 3.0 is First Class and is going to National Jamboree next summer.

Scouting has been a big part of my boys's lives and for that I am thankful!

I am working hard to stay in shape so that I can keep up!
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
Scoutmaster - Troop 878, Spring, Tx - 3 years
Scoutmaster - Troop 146, Bandera, Tx-9 years
Philmont - 2004
OA Arrowman
21st Century Wood Badge SR-472, 2002
Climbing & COPE Instructor

2 Eagle Scout sons
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.