Outdoors
Sponsored by

Brisket prices

7,919 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Thriller
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since the 4th is nigh upon us, but it might be nice to have a thread noting the best brisket prices that you can find where you are.

Dallas: Tom Thumb. Choice. $1.99/lb. (50% off). I had to ask the guy at the meat counter to get two good ones. Better pricing and quality than Kroger, Walmart, Sam's. I don't have a Costco membership.
Thriller
AG
$3.99/lb yesterday for a Choice packer at Sam's south of Denver.
Frisco
AG
2.99 at Kroger yesterday
CrawfordAg
AG
Anybody in Austin? H-E-B is still at $5.99/lb.
Mathguy64
AG
Paid $5.79/lb for prime at HEB over the weekend. More than I wanted and I have been getting it for $3.79 but I have a party in a couple of days that I am on the hook for.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
$1.47 a pound select and $3.79 prime at heb

Needless to say the freezer is filling up fast...
Comeby!
AG
$2.49 at Wallyworld in Frisco.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Where be you? Those are solid!
rhtexfish
AG
Cypress heb was 1.97 for some pork spare ribs and brisket
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Lake Jackson Heb
B-1 83
AG
Still can't find choice in Corpus for under $4.79/lb
Tree Hugger
AG
My children were both saddened and confused at both the price and the small size of the briskets at the Mansfield Walmart this past weekend:

oklaunion
Strange post.
DTrain
AG
$2.47 for choice at Walmart market in Farmers Branch

Last week paid about $5 for prime from Costco W Plano.
GSS
Rosenthal Meat (TAMU) has trimmed brisket for $3.49/lb. Grade unknown. Always nicely trimmed, pit ready, very little waste.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
TGoll09
AG
Just picked up a brisket and pork shoulder butt for $1.99/lb. At Tom Thumb
aggiez71
Anyone CS know the best places to get them locally? Looking to do a pork butt and a brisket this weekend. HEB should update their ads tomorrow.
GSS
No brisket "sale" at B-CS HEB's...
HEB ad
saltydog13
AG
$2.97 select and $5.27ish for prime here in CS
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
Just picked up a brisket and pork shoulder butt for $1.99/lb. At Tom Thumb
Kroger had shoulders for $0.99 two weeks ago. I had to buy four. Had to.
cowtown ag02
AG
$2.47 for brisket at Wal-Mart in Fort Worth. I don't know if this was intended or not but the briskets were mixed between choice and select for the same price.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
mixed between choice and select for the same price.
Saw the same at Walmart and Kroger.
Ol Jock 99
AG

Brisket in at 6AM. Chickens on at 2PM.
AgsMnn
AG
$1.77/lb at brookshires for select.
powerbiscuit
You guys should smoke some boneless pork loin. It's about the best meat for the price available right now.

I bought them for about $1.89 or $1.99 per pound a few weeks ago. This is the pork equivalent to ribeye and strip steaks (once it is sliced) or prime rib if cooked whole.

You won't get a better cut of meat for a better price. If you want to grill them as boneless pork chops, just cut them at an inch or a little thicker and grill them. Still the best bang for your buck.
dummble
AG
Choice Brisket is $1.69/lb at the North East Houston Randalls

Last week HEB matched the Kroger price of $1.99 so I am going to check them both out.
Ol jock, which Tom Thumb in Dallas?
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
Ol jock, which Tom Thumb in Dallas?

Arapaho and Shilo. Garland technically.
Prune Tracy
quote:
You guys should smoke some boneless pork loin. It's about the best meat for the price available right now.

I bought them for about $1.89 or $1.99 per pound a few weeks ago. This is the pork equivalent to ribeye and strip steaks (once it is sliced) or prime rib if cooked whole.

You won't get a better cut of meat for a better price. If you want to grill them as boneless pork chops, just cut them at an inch or a little thicker and grill them. Still the best bang for your buck.

Yep. Got an 8lber at HEB the other day for $13. We put them in the smoker and they're awesome. Hard to screw up.
87txag
AG
I was just at the HEB on Buffalo Speedway and Bissonnet. They had several briskets in the 13 -15 lb. range in the case. It peaked my interest because they had their Prime stickers on them. I picked one up and looked at the price. It was $3.79 /lb. and stated Prime on that sticker also. I looked around in the case and saw several "Prime" briskets. This really surprised me that HEB would have that many primes in the normal meat case. So, I turned it over to look at the grade stamp on the packaging. "USDA Choice". WTH!!!! So, I walked over and had a little chat with the butcher and later one of the managers. My main comment was " That's not right and y'all should fix it. And oh, this really makes me question all the "Prime" ground beef and the "Prime" tenderloin (which I buy often) from you guys."

I know, tldr - HEB trying to pass off choice briskets for PRIME!
powerbiscuit
quote:
I was just at the HEB on Buffalo Speedway and Bissonnet. They had several briskets in the 13 -15 lb. range in the case. It peaked my interest because they had their Prime stickers on them. I picked one up and looked at the price. It was $3.79 /lb. and stated Prime on that sticker also. I looked around in the case and saw several "Prime" briskets. This really surprised me that HEB would have that many primes in the normal meat case. So, I turned it over to look at the grade stamp on the packaging. "USDA Choice". WTH!!!! So, I walked over and had a little chat with the butcher and later one of the managers. My main comment was " That's not right and y'all should fix it. And oh, this really makes me question all the "Prime" ground beef and the "Prime" tenderloin (which I buy often) from you guys."

I know, tldr - HEB trying to pass off choice briskets for PRIME!

They do this stuff all the time. In another thread I questioned the use of "upper choice" which is not a USDA grade. Lot's of times you'll see stuff like butcher's choice, which is meaningless, but misleading. Many butcher's don't know any better. Some do, but are just crooked. It's against the law to do it, but I think you may have to falsely advertise as "USDA Choice" or "USDA Prime" for it to stick. It's been a long time since I took the classes on it.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Pork loins are $1.99 at Kroger (Sachse). Had to buy a few.
powerbiscuit
just don't over cook them, you won't be disappointed
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
just don't over cook them, you won't be disappointed

What do you do with them? I've never done one before. Low and slow with the sugary rub?
Thriller
AG
I'll use any of the rubs I use for ribs or pork butt. Low and slow, pull at internal temperature between 135 and 140. Foil and let it rest - should rise another 5 degrees or so. This is for medium pork. You can go higher but like anything, you'll lose some/most moisture depending on how high you go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.