Outdoors
Sponsored by

How to get rid of mudcats????

26,566 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by PhiAggie
tk127ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about adding some hybrids to tank but we have a lot of mudcats that I want to get rid of. Anyway of doing this without wiping out all the fish and starting from scratch??
rather be fishing
AG
Seine the tank, throw the fish you don't want to remove on the other side of the net.
tk127ag
AG
It's about 18' deep and around acre and half. Might be a little difficult to do that.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Yellowcats?
montanagriz
S
Yellow cats and flathead the same fish? Which is different than a mudcat, right?
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Correct

(yellow cat = flathead) =\= mudcat
Chetos
AG
Mud cats are the dwarf catfish that seem to spawn from cow chit. And sting like a mother when you get poked by their fins. Btw, chewing tobacco does seem to take away the sting.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I believe he is talking about pollywogs, the little catfish (yes, it's legal) that can be used for bait.
GSS
We have an approx 1 acre stock tank that was infested w/mudcats, about 2 yrs after I stocked channel cats and a few largemouth. They loved that I had a fish feeder throwing daily
We fished it hard that spring and summer, and caught 120 mudcats (none returned...`coons were happy)...virtually all the same size (7-8"). Kids had a blast (just stayed away from the fins).

Now the occasional mudcat caught is actually decent size, and very few seem to be present. The bass are certainly of size to be a predator, And the big channels are at 6-7 lbs. Not sure if that's why the mudcat numbers stay low.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Sean98
AG
Tough to eliminate them completely without dumping Rotenone in the tank and killing everything. But you can introduce bigger predators, fish them hard (and toss them), net out the "balls" of mudcat fry that hang out in the shallows, etc. and really cut down on their numbers.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Mudcats as in bullheads?
PhiAggie
AG
As long as egrets fly from tank to tank....
MouthBQ98
AG
They are ubiquitous like green sunfish. Given time, they find their way to any pond.
daryl gersch
AG
Big bass love them will eventually get rid of them. Big yellows will eat every thing including bass.
VaultingChemist
AG
Take a can of dog food, put holes in it with an ice pick, and place it in a perch trap. You can trap 50 to 60 at a time. Eventually you can reduce their numbers. Plus, they are good trotline bait.
fishag04
AG
I am curious if the OP is referring to a flathead or the pollywog version. I grew up on a South Texas lake and most of the old timers referred to flatheads as mudcats or opelousas. TPW has mud cat listed under "other names" for the flathead.

Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I believe he's talking about pollywogs.
MouthBQ98
AG
I once caught 3 of them out of some riprap on lake texana that were 2+ lbs. Those were huge for bullhead.
RVRE Co.
AG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_bullhead
PhiAggie
AG
Oh yeah? Which one? I did too.
FSGuide
You guys keep mentioning pollywogs. I didn't know that was a fish. I thought it was a stage of tadpole development. ??
SanAntoneAg
AG
Not sure if OP is referring to Madtoms or Bullheads.

http://wildlife.tamu.edu/files/2010/04/2_Identify_Catfish.pdf
Proc92
quote:
You guys keep mentioning pollywogs. I didn't know that was a fish. I thought it was a stage of tadpole development. ??
We always called them pollywogs in central Texas in the 70s. Granddads called them that too. I can't recall using mudcat for those same small stock tank catfish that seemed to be ubiquitous.
Proc92
quote:
Not sure if OP is referring to Madtoms or Bullheads.

http://wildlife.tamu.edu/files/2010/04/2_Identify_Catfish.pdf
That page says those madtoms get to a max size of 2 inches. I guess what we called a pollywog was a bullhead.
Comeby!
AG
Where you at? I'll take my youth football team out there one afternoon and wear em out.
Sea Gull
AG
God I hate those things
PhiAggie
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.