Outdoors
Sponsored by

ACOG for SBR

17,192 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by theterk
3rdGenAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First world problem here...

I want to make my 16" into a 10.5" SBR, but I think I'll have to buy a new day scope. I love my TA31F RCO, but the BDC will no longer work past 100 yds. I rarely shoot past that and won't with the SBR anyway, as it will become the hog whisperer once my suppressor arrives. I also mostly shoot this gun with a different night scope anyway (thanks EyeGuy).
Should I just sell the RCO and get a cheaper "standard" scope or hang on to it in case I buy another upper...OR just chop it to only 14.5" (which the RCO is intended for). I really only wanted to go to 10.5" cause 'Merica...there is no NEED per se, but then again there never is...
Like I said...HUGE dilemma.
Mr. Dubi
Aimpoint PRO or EOTech vs 1-4x optic. I had an EOTech 2-2 on my SBR for a while, but I was wasting a lot of ammo shooting bowling pin size targets at 60-80 yards. I moved up to a Burris MTAC, but just like the ACOG, the reticle isn't really helpful past 250 yards.... but neither is the gun, so base on my experience you could get a plain 1-4 without the advanced reticle. The big ring on the MTAC does help out with quick action CQB type shooting you see in 3gun hoser stages.
CS78
If you plan to put a can on it, anything longer than 12.5" is too long for truck ridin and hog shootin in my opinion. I have an 11.5" BCM with SDN6 and I like it. I'd skip the acog and just find your preference in basic red dots.
TheEyeGuy
AG
Youll be much happier with a red dot vs a permanently fixed magnifier on an sbr. They just don't have the range to justify an acog, to me.
BenderRodriguez
AG
ARs are cheap right now.

Keep the ACOG on your 16" gun, build a 10.5" SBR and throw a red dot on it.

Problem solved.

Sean Jeffrey Babineaux IV
AG
I have an Elcan 1-4x on a 10.3" upper. The BDC, like the ACOG NSN, is made for a 14.5" barrel and I was somewhat concerned as well. In all honesty it's a non issue especially within 300. Beyond that just familiarize yourself with the true POA vs POI.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/r7EUwU][/url]
3rdGenAg05
AG
Was just thinking that this pm. How much would it really matter and how much would I care?

Thanks Bender, I definitely thought of that, but the well is dry after the suppressor purchase. In time, I'm sure I'll come across another AR...perhaps I'll just keep the RCO for now...
Thanks all.
TheEyeGuy
AG
Unless you HAVE to sell it, I would just put it back for the time you do get an another upper. I mean, geez, I can build kickass uppers sans BCG for about $350 right now. It's crazy.
agswin2001
AG
Guy, what is a good going price for a Trijicon ACOG 4x32?

I see $1200 retail is pretty common, and on gunbroker.com. Suggestions where I can pick one up and save a few bucks? I'll sit back and listen.

Sorry, not intending to derail...
TheEyeGuy
AG
quote:
Guy, what is a good going price for a Trijicon ACOG 4x32?

I see $1200 retail is pretty common, and on gunbroker.com. Suggestions where I can pick one up and save a few bucks? I'll sit back and listen.

Sorry, not intending to derail...
I may know a guy...

Honestly, which model are you looking for? I have a few models that I can get down to just under a grand, depends on which exact one you are looking for.
Naveronski
AG
Keep the ACOG. I love having one on my work gun.

For the SBR, look into the Aimpoint T1. It's very compact, light weight, and will work with PVS-14's or whatever night vision you use.

For a less expensive option, the Aimpoint PRO is also a quality dot.
Complaint Investigator
AG
AG
Within the effective range of a 10.5" barrel, it is minimal. I would keep the ACOG.
3rdGenAg05
AG
Thanks again.

Switching gears-is it legal for me to put a 16" upper on a registered SBR lower?
I just can't put my 10.5 on a non-registered lower right?
AG
quote:
Thanks again.

Switching gears-is it legal for me to put a 16" upper on a registered SBR lower? Yes, so long as the upper is not shorter than the length specified on your Form 1 and the rifle may be returned to its registered state.
I just can't put my 10.5 on a non-registered lower right? Correct. Do not do this.
Naveronski
AG
Yes, you are correct.
EngAg11
AG
The little 1.5x & 2x acogs are neat. I have one that I bought for SBR use, but I'm still moving optics around my uppers between it & an aimpoint M2.

Since the mini acogs don't have a BDC, they can work pretty well across calibers & barrel lengths.

Also on the upper swap among lowers, lots of people say "Don't put anything shorter than the Form 1 says", but most people will say, that as long as you have a registered SBR lower, any upper length is legal, since it doesn't constitute a permanent change to the rifle. It would be worth doing your own research & gathering the opinions with references though. If all else fails, just ask the lawyer who drew up your NFA Trust.
Dr. Faustus
AG
+1 for an Aimpoint PRO
theterk
AG

just so you know, SBRs do have some legs. The optic should match the given range you intend to use it at. However, I do believe a fixed sight might limit the effectiveness at closer range.
TheVarian
AG
I like bullitt a lot. I always liked the 3-gun stuff and seeing his POV and hearing his commentary.

I have been wanting an SBR and am looking at the 300 Blk out from Androco corp out in Florida. Does anyone have any experience with that company/products?
theterk
AG
any link to their product? I can give you some pointers (or shoot me an email jacob at terkindustries dot com)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.