Outdoors
Sponsored by

Water Well Drilling- Comal County

17,270 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PFG
PFG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a water well drilled or service in Comal county or surrounding Hill Country area and have a recommendation? Getting estimates and wanted to see if there were any Ags in business in the area.
Chetos
AG
is there still water on comal county? Seriously, I'd be curious as of the outcome of your search and typical bids you receive. Keep us posted.
txags92
AG
No idea if they have any ag connection, but my in-laws have used Louis Bergmann and Sons out of Boerne for drilling and pump work for years and have always been pleased with their work.
PFG
AG
2 estimates so far. One for $25,600 and the other for $28 and change. Tank not included in estimate.

Chetos
AG
quote:
2 estimates so far. One for $25,600 and the other for $28 and change. Tank not included in estimate.

holly smokes, I was quoted 10k with pump and tank by my builder a few years back. Is this unusually deep?
Doc Hayworth
Drilling rigs are not as assessible as they were a few years back. The actual cost of drilling hasn't gone up, but that's not keeping many from charging double with all the south Texas boom going on. From what I was told a lot of the water well drillers are making more money drilling for the oil companies to meet their water needs. Thus making it to where they don't need the private work and if asked to, they jack up the price. Without the tank and pump, drilling should be around $10 per foot.
Lungblood
A buddy of mine out west has a water well drilling company and they work exclusively for oil comps. They are averaging 1 well per day.
PFG
AG
quote:
Is this unusually deep?

Still finding that out myself. One driller told me they thought 900 ft for the area. $10K for well plus tank would be awesome. Going to keep getting estimates.
txags92
AG
What area are you in? The farther west you go in the county, the deeper you should want to go. Water is going to get scarce as New Braunfels marches west. My father-in-law is located west of bulverde and he went down to somewhere between 400 & 500 feet recently. His older well is around 300. The deeper you go, and the more limestone you have to go through, the more expensive it will be per foot. Drilling 500' through limestone will cost much more than drilling 500' through sands and clays east of the escarpment.
rather be fishing
AG
I'm going to say you might have been able to get one put in for 10k 7 or 8 years ago, but for a drill rig to pick up from west Texas and come drill it for you, they're going to factor in how much they're missing out on by not staying out west.
CrossBowAg99
AG
Wait a year. Oil MIGHT be $60/bbl. You MIGHT get it for $8/FT
agneck
Kutscher drilling out of San Marcos.
PFG
AG
Property is off 46 pretty well between NB and 281.
PFG
AG
2 more bids, both in same ballpark. For this cost, I'll look more into rainwater catchment.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I have a great rec for a rainwater guy that's out of Boerne if your interested in going that route.
Chetos
AG
quote:
I have a great rec for a rainwater guy that's out of Boerne if your interested in going that route.
do they make one that works in a drought when you need water?
Beckdiesel03
AG
Right . One day I swear we will get rain again. And maybe not all at once.
atmtws
AG
Update, OP? Im looking into rainwater catchment as well.
TxAggie72
AG
If you don't drill a well and don't put in septic then you cannot be taxed on your house. Do rainwater catchment and composting toilets. I am building my rainwater catchment as we speak. Septic was already in place though so missed out on tax break. Shoot me an email if you would like more info on rainwater. I am a custom home builder in Boerne. txaggie00 at live dot com
Sgt. Hartman
AG
So you are saying use a cistern and an outhouse. That is throwback rural utilities the same way my grandparents did it!
PFG
AG
Two and half year old thread bump here, but thought I'd give an update for anyone needing water service in Comal Co.

1) Had a well drilled (2016) by RRR Pump Sales & Services. Total cost was around $22,000. Drilled past 425, placed pump in the upper 300s, and we had about 5-7gpm. Cost included a 2500g stacked concrete tank. RRR did a fine job, but they are old school with communication and invoicing and service. V

2) Fast forward to 2018, and we needed more well service. The well RRR drilled in 2016 is now on a piece of property that we have for sale. https://www.landsoftexas.com/property/1126-Imhoff-Lane-New-Braunfels-Texas-78132/502042

We bought a piece of property with well that had been drilled about 15 years ago, then capped. It was a much deeper well - bottom over 900ft - with great deliverability. Kutscher Drilling out of San Marcos was the best bid, and easiest to work with. $9000 to bring the well on-line with a constant pressure system. 10g/min pump placed at 625ft. Water has some sulphur smell to it, and I'm sure its hard. Will likely treat/filter it at some point.

Aint nothing cheap. But if you're in Comal Co and need water service - I'd recommend Kutscher. Those guys came out multiple times to make sure everything was good to go, and the price was right compared to other quotes.

3) House build starts this spring/summer, and we are committed to whole house rainwater capture. The water well will service as a house backup, and water for external hose bibs. I'll probably start a new thread with the rainwater details once its built. Gutters, trenching, conveyance, capture tank, filters, etc...looking at a $60,000 price tag to service a 4000 sq/ft home for a family of 4-5.

With the rainwater system, I won't have to rely on the future of groundwater in the Texas Hill Country. And boy that makes me happy. I'm dipping into the Trinity-Glen Rose, but so are some people with MUCH bigger plans and deeper pockets. Scary shat right here:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/4383d6_618f56703d1c47449d58d51caf913bf9.pdf
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
chaca5151
We have 9 acres on the west side of San Marcos, had Kutscher come out and give us a bid for our well. It was around $24,000 to drill, just see my self spending that much for crappy water. Now we are looking into rain collection system also.

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with on yours.
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
PFG
AG
Yeah, nothings cheap.

Our rainwater system will collect to a 28,000 gallon tank. Like I mentioned, it will be over $60K when finished. When the time comes, I'll post about the install, costs, etc.

I wouldn't mind rolling 100% with rainwater, but that requires a big family to use water saving shower heads, toilets, appliances, etc. Even more so if cistern starts to draw down and weather is dry. Watering any type of landscape would be the first thing to go. And thats not all a bad thing - all Texan's could use to be more water wise. But, I do like having the ground water well as a back up home water source and to use for landscape and animals. Its a small insurance policy that would come in handy in case of sever drought or plumbing breakdown stops rainwater from being used.

If you decide to use Kutscher, they did a great job. Cleaned up after themselves, came back out twice to get it right (pump depth) and price was right compared to others in the Comal-Hays area. I think $24K is pretty competitive. Does that include an above ground storage tank?
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
chaca5151
Holy Cow Man! 28,000 gal of water that's nuts we are looking at 15,000. We looked into what it would cost to ship in water should we ever need it, I believe it was 2500gal for $250. I would love to have a well back up but we just cant afford it. Who is the company you are using to install? Or is your builder doing it.
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
PFG
AG
Chaca do you have an e-mail address? I'll get you more info that way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.