Outdoors
Sponsored by

Sendero for mesquite and huisache

38,984 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TechTard
TEXAS A and M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last Saturday morning while the dew was still on the leaves, I put some sendero in the backpack sprayer and hit the mesquite and huisache on my place. Most of them were smaller bushes less than 4 ft tall. I went back yesterday(Friday) and found that everything I sprayed was brown. Time will tell if they come back, but so far it is looking pretty good. I used 7 ounces sendero, 2 ounces surfacant, and two gallons of water. Sprayed to moisten the leaves, but not enough to drip. Next time I'm definitely using some dye so my dumbass doesn't miss so many.
HTownAg98
How did you come up with 7 ounces? I ask because the label recommended rate for foliar spot spray on mesquite is 3 quarts to 100 gallons. It's possible you may have just burned the leaves without letting the chemical move into the vascular system.
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ldAIF000.pdf
Allen76
AG
I have seen some variance in recommendations, but the one I have been using is 3/4 percent Sendero to water for spot spraying. This is roughly one ounce Sendero for every gallon of water.

As previous poster said, for a systemic spray you want the plant to take up the herbicide into its system before the leaves dry up and fall off or else you may not have good results.

I have used this chart for this past summer: http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDAS/dh_089c/0901b8038089c5e5.pdf?filepath=range/pdfs/noreg/010-58107.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc
Allen76
AG
Also, I get my surfactant, the recommended Methylated Seed Oil from Keystone Pest Solutions. It is called MES-100 and is way cheaper than local herbicide dealers but you have to buy it in large bottles. Since I spray a lot, I usually buy at least 2 two-and-a-half gallon bottles from Keystone. This MSO is very effective.
plowboy1065
S
I use Remedy/Reclaim and find that it works great, with a lot less cost
DVM97
AG
Plowboy, where do you get that? We have senderos that need to be "cleared" of baby mesquite etc

DVM
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Remedy works great.
Ted Logan
AG
I do the remedy/reclaim method too and it works great. It's the brushbusters method from the Ag extension office. You can buy it at tractor supply (when it's in stock) or many of the feed stores. It's not cheap, but a little bit goes a long way. One of them is about $90/gallon and the other is nearly $200/gallon but you only use about 2 ozs of each in 3 gallons of water.
B-1 83
AG
That may not be so good. If those leaves were brown after only a week, you might have just burned the tar out of it with little kill. The best kills are obtained by a slow yellowing aver a 2 or 3 week time frame, followed by leaf drop some time later. Without leaves, the plant can't translocate the herbicide throughout the plant.
plowboy1065
S
quote:
Plowboy, where do you get that? We have senderos that need to be "cleared" of baby mesquite etc

DVM
I have a buddy that is a chemical dealer. He had a few extra cases of Reclaim he needed to get rid of and sold me a gallon pretty cheap. I think I was mixing 2oz all the way around for 3 gallons.
Blue Bell Ag
AG
I find that Remedy and dawn dish soap works on mesquite and huisache. The sticker vines are another matter. They usually require 2-3 sprayings before they finally give up.

I like the idea about the dye.
HTownAg98
Basal treatment is the best method for your sticker vines, aka bois d'arc. It's more expensive, but I've never seen it not work.
Allen76
AG
The Remedy/Reclaim mix has been around for over 25 years. Sendero is the "new" thing, for I think 3 years and has been tested to have a little better results in foliar applications. The last time I checked, the Sendero mix was a little cheaper too because you are using one chemical and a surfactant. Sendero costs about $133.00 per gallon at Helena Chemical and after you mix, and figure all of your surfactant costs, the mix (ready to spray) costs about $1.54 per gallon. Someone else would have to do the math on Remedy/Reclaim
TechTard
I've been using the generic triclopyr/clopyralid mix on small/medium sized mesquite. I'm mixing 100 gallons a time in my 3 pt. tractor sprayer. The generic was about $12.50 per tank less than the Sendero using a 0.5% mix of each.

Since most of the literature I've read on Sendero seems to insist on using MSO, I've been mixing 0.5% MSO in my mix, and another 0.5% non-ionic surfactant. Not sure if I need the extra non-ionic surfactant or not, but it costs me $4 per tank to add, so I figure if it helps any, it is probably worth it. I try to substitute it a little bit for the MSO, as it is much cheaper. Since optimal time for mesquite spraying is during the hot part of the year, I try to do what I can to increase absorption and control volatilization. Hopefully in the next year or two, I'll find out my mix is working.

Long term average, I'd been getting about a 75% kill rate with the remedy/reclaim mix and spot spraying. I'm hoping adding the MSO and going heavy on the surfactant will bump me up 10-15% on the kill rate.
HTownAg98
75% is a pretty good kill rate, especially if you are spraying pasture in tall grass. If you don't want the added expense, just keep doing what you're doing.
Allen76
AG
TechTard....your post is the exact reason I started buying MSO from Keystone on the internet. It is way cheaper. I used the Remedy/Reclaim (triclopyr/clopyralid) for many years with cheap soap surfactant. Besides the Sendero label insisting on MSO, many feed store type dealers still don't carry MSO. After using MSO with Sendero and also Surmount, I am convinced that it is far superior to other surfactants, not to mention that some soaps are not even in the "non-ionic" category.

As you stated, I will also be seeing "for sure" results next year as I have only been using Sendero with MSO for two summers now.
TechTard
Allen, I've not ordered MSO online before, but I may need to start. It looks like it is running about as much for a 2.5 gallon online as I can get it in the 1 gallon jugs here locally.

This is the first year I've been using MSO for mesquites, but I've used it for about 10 years when spraying cactus. It sure does seem to make a big difference with the *****ly pear and tasajillo.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.