Outdoors
Sponsored by

Meat Mixer - Opinions Wanted

2,901 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Allen76
KW02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone use a meat mixer when making sausage? We currently do it my hand. I am looking at the LEM 50 pound tilt mixer. Any opinions?

schmellba99
AG
I've always done it by hand, but would surmise that the LEM product is probably pretty solid. I have one of their #8 mixers and it is absolutely nails for the volume of meat processing I do annually.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I have two of them, a right one and a left one.
KW02
AG
Ha. Thanks guys. Been mixing by hand for year. I have an LEM #22 grinders so thought this would be a nice addition.

[This message has been edited by KW02 (edited 11/27/2013 2:28p).]
96ags
AG
Never done it myself, but have heard of some people using the cheaper cement mixers.
Max06
AG
I seasoned the cubed meat and then put it through the chili grind plate. I put it in a big container in refrigerated for a couple hours to let it marinate, and then feedback through the hamburger grind plate and stuff it. Seasoning before grinding seems to distribute it well enough without having to mix it afterwards
schmellba99
AG
^
|
|

Ditto, but still mix the cubed meat by hand after seasoning.

I dislike seasoning and then trying to mix ground meat. It has a tendency to turn to paste, which completely ruins the meat for me.

I could see where something like the OP would be handy if you did a whole lot of processing, but for what little I do, a bowl and my hands works just fine.
Doc Hayworth
The most I make at any one time is 25 lbs, so IMO I can't justify the cost of a mixer, even though it would be convenient.
shalackin
AG
i use a mixer. it is a hand crank version so now power, but it is much easier than doing it by hand. I would recommend getting one for sure.
KW02
AG
Thanks. We do over 100 pounds a batch so it would be much easier.

[This message has been edited by KW02 (edited 11/28/2013 3:10p).]
Signel
AG
I've seen some guys use them on youtube. I never do that much so I do't need it, but the LEM makes easy work of it.

That one is much bigger than the ones i've seen and they seem to handle 15lbs at least. Go for it.
EFE
AG
My friends grandad uses a plastic barreled cement mixer he bought at Harbor Freight about ten years ago. It works quite well.
Allen76
AG
quote:
My friends grandad uses a plastic barreled cement mixer he bought at Harbor Freight about ten years ago. It works quite well

That is a darn good idea.

I haven't made sausage in a few years, but have made a couple of 100 lb batches, all by hand and using the grinder as others have said already.

On a side note, I still grind a lot, and the best thing I ever did was give away my grinder/band saw that would overheat on deer meat and bought a much larger grinder that breezes right through venison gristle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.