Outdoors
Sponsored by

Can my F-150 haul a pallet of sod?

55,799 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by DriftwoodAg
redass1876
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Posting on outdoor because sod is grass, and grass is outside

Picking up a pallet of Buffalo Grass sod on friday, and i am looking to see if I can have it loaded in the back of my truck.

I have a 2013 F-150 Supercrew Ecoboost, and it is rated for a max payload of 1930 pounds.

I have 0 highway miles in the path im taking, and only like 2 total miles. Nothing will be over 45 mph.

I have heard differing stories on how much a pallet of sod ways; between 750 pounds and 3000 pounds depending on how moist it is. Would you try this or would you just go rent a trailer for $30?

Any chance i would blow the leaf springs?

Cross posted on automotive
BrazosDog02
AG
Every mexican in my town with an F-150 hauls it. Its nearly dragging the bumper though. If this is not a beater, I think I would just rent a vehicle....id even rent an F150...but I wouldnt put it in yours unless you have a trailer.
Ag for Life
AG
You should be good as long as the forklift operator can get it in there without damaging your ride. I'm not sure I would risk that part on a brand new truck. The weight though shouldn't be a problem.
harge57
AG
Done it multiple times in Silverado 1500 texas edition.

May want to put a little extra air in your tires.

It will definitely sag a ton.

I am betting most people would say get a trailer.
harge57
AG
Make sure they push the pallet all the way up into the bed close to the cab. That helps distribute some of the weight to the front.
ZooGuy
AG
Get a trailer. My sod guy said the sod weighs 2000-2,500 lbs. I'm getting a pallet of Buffalo grass sometime this week whenever it comes in.
ccag02
AG
I did it in my old F150 without a problem but it was weighted down
agfan2013
AG
quote:
Make sure they push the pallet all the way up into the bed close to the cab. That helps distribute some of the weight to the front.

When I worked for the coop we occasionally had a guy order an entire pallet and want it in the bed of his truck. This is what we did to help the back end from sagging too much. Do this and you should be fine.
taquache02
AG
quote:
Every mexican in my town with an F-150 hauls it. Its nearly dragging the bumper though. If this is not a beater, I think I would just rent a vehicle....id even rent an F150...but I wouldnt put it in yours unless you have a trailer.
MisterShipWreck
My dad had a 15 year old F150 until recently. Little 4 cylinder., I did half a pallet and made two trips. They can pull off 1/2 with the forklift. Put the other 1/2 on the side, and you come back and get it afterwards.

Just 1/2 the pallet had me worried. But, it worked. Did that a couple of times.
redass1876
AG
Seeing as my truck is now 2 days old, i think i will just rent a U-haul trailer for $25 and let it take the weight, based on a lot of the comments i'm reading here.

If i had a 10 year old truck, i may give it a shot

Edit: If anything, the $25 may be worth it to be unloading from a short trailer instead of constantly climbing into the truck bed

[This message has been edited by redass1876 (edited 5/1/2013 2:04p).]
proc
AG
I would load it all up, jump a dirt pile, do a spinout, and greet Toby Keith for a high five.
KatyAg88
Delivery should be maybe $50 if it is the same area of town and you wouldn't risk paying for damages should your load crack the axle or pop the tires of those old used up piece of crap trailers.
Doc Hayworth
I carried a full pallet of sod in my 3/4 ton. Once it was loaded I asked the guy if weighed a ton. He said that those pallets of Bermuda were weighing 3000 to 3100 pounds. I only had 2 miles to my house, but I wouldn't have tried it in a 1/2 ton.
76Ag
AG
It's a Ford...good luck.
BrazosDog02
AG
quote:
It's a Ford...good luck.

A+++++++++++++++++++ Very helpful. Would read again!!!!!!!!
ConstructionAg01
AG
Frankly, I'm surprised it took that long to get a negative Ford comment.

I'd use a trailer just so that I could handle all that sod at ground level. You'll be glad you did.
Bobby Ewing
AG
quote:
It's a Ford...good luck.
ZooGuy
AG
I dunno, I've had 3 different Rangers and never had much of an issue with any of them. Put 186,000 miles on my first Ranger before I sold it.
Sharpest
Why did you get a truck if you aren't going to use it as a truck? Weight limits are arbitrary. If it fits in the bed, haul it.
MouthBQ98
AG
For 2 miles, It's probaly ok. Avoid bumps.
PFG
AG
Extra air in the back tires. Max PSI.

Hauled a full pallet 3 times in my 1500 Silverado.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Take a half pallet at a time and make two trips.
clintaggie04
AG
Don't do it. I resodded my yard two years ago and a buddy and I made multiple trips in each of our trucks. I needed 3 and 1/2 pallets. After seeing the strain the first 1/2 pallet put on my truck, no way I would try to put the whole thing.

Rent the trailer or like someone else said, it is very easy for them to just put half on each pallet and you can make two trips. That way is a nice chance to catch your breath after laying the first half!
redass1876
AG
renting a trailer... with the insurance on it, it was only $25 (in case i bust the axle or something).

Should be easier to offload as others said
Hoss
AG
Unloading it would definitely be easier from a trailer, but I wouldn't hesitate to haul it in any 1/2 ton or larger if it was only a short distance. After all, it's built Ford tough right?

My 3/4 ton rides a whole lot smoother with a couple thousand pounds in the bed.
62strat
AG
I hauled 2 pallets, one at a time, about 10 miles in my dads Toyota tundra, 2004 i think and this was 2006. And they were soaking wet.

It was dragging like crazy. They said dry it was 1 ton. Saint Augustine.
DriftwoodAg
AG
You can rent a flat bed truck from Home Depot fairly cheap. If you live in Hays County, I could help you haul it
JMMDVM
You should buy a real truck
TAMUallen
AG
it can certainly haul it but it will slowly wear the truck down. a trailer is the best solution.
GrassAg95
AG
quote:
They can pull off 1/2 with the forklift. Put the other 1/2 on the side, and you come back and get it afterwards.

Now, this I want to see.
Fletch_F_Fletch
AG
quote:
ways
Excellent spelling.

Hauled a full pallet in a 1/2 ton Dodge with no problem. Even drove it at highway speed.

If your truck is new, you'll be fine.
always gig em
AG
Ford trucks. Good from a to b and that's about it.

Since yours is new, I would also just rent a trailer but if you must, load the pallet OVER the axle, its your strongest point. I've got a 1/2 ton GMC with bilstein shocks and re-enforced leaf springs (also got 33 inch bfg tires). I've carried 2 full pallets of grass in my bed at the same time while pulling a third pallet in my trailer, did the same exact thing with 3 pallets of tile when we tiled our house. Old guy at Home Depot said "I'd like to see you pull all that with THAT truck son". I just smiled as I drove away.

Absolutely no way youll blow the springs, trucks are made for stuff like that and youre not even going far to begin with. I would do it but would lay a few layers of cardboard down on the bed 1st, you can always get a sprayed on bedliner later. Toughen up that ford when you can.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
To all of you ford bashers on here, I have a 2000 f150 that I routinely (monthly) haul 42 bags of protein in it from Mummes in hondo to near Concan (35-40 miles).

So suck on that.

In your situation, I would load it and if it squats too low, take it off. You did buy a truck to use it, right?

I would check the air pressure in your tires though. If you have LTs, you can probably boost the pressure up to about 45-50 and be ok. Make sure you check the max tire psi on the sidewall though.
Mr. Dubi
According to the autoboard, the Ecoboost could do it, lay the sod or you, make you a sandwich and fix drinks for you while you sunbathe in a chaize....

I personally would check to see how much delivery would cost though. It might be even cheaper than trailer rental.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.