Outdoors
Sponsored by

Colt 6920 ammo question

10,328 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by schmellba99
BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was at academy buying some .380 ammo and I saw they had some .223 and some 5.56...I thought they were the same, both 55 grain. However, the .223 was 20 bucks a box and the 5.56 was 12 bucks a box. So, I balked and bought neither.

Are they the 'same'. Will my Colt shoot either? Why is one more expensive?
Column
AG
quote:
Why is one more expensive?

Quantity in the box, brand, type, etc.

quote:
Will it work in your 6920?

Maybe, Step 1 - does the barrel say 5.56 or .223?
txaggie2012
AG
If its a 6920 then it probably will. But as the poster above said, just check the barrel.

If it says 5.56 then it will shoot both.

Butt .223 will only shoot .223
metrag06
AG
My 6920 is marked 5.56mm - I am sure yours is as well.

Buy either, shoot either.
schmellba99
AG
Dimensionally, .223 and 5.56 are the same. The case is the same, the projectiles are the same, the primer is the same.

However, the .223 maximum allowable SAAMI pressure is 55,000 psi. The 5.56 maximum allowable SAAMI pressure is 62,000 psi.

There are some small differences in chamber dimensions between the two as well.

A barrel stamped "5.56 NATO" will shoot both .223 and 5.56 safely. A barrel stamped ".223 Remington" generally cannot safely fire 5.56.

A Colt 6920 should have a 5.56 chamber, and the barrel should be stamped as such.

As far as the differences in price for the ammo you saw, there could be 37 different reasons so it's hard to really say.
FSGuide
Maybe the price difference is because one is brass cases and the other is steel case. Steel being the cheaper one.
BrazosDog02
AG
Both were brass. Both 20 rounds. Doesnt matter. You guys answered my question. Ill have the wife buy a box of 5.56 of they still have it. :P

[This message has been edited by BrazosDog02 (edited 4/2/2013 10:19a).]
YellowPot_97
AG
don't pay that price unless you ABSOLUTELY have to have some now. that's still WAY overpriced. there are better deals out there, just hard to find. eventually prices will return to normal. it'll be even faster if people would stop paying these insane prices.
Coach823
AG
I put 100 rns of .223 through my 6920 last week. worked like a charm.
Bluto
AG
I have a Colt CRP-18, and the barrel says .223. I've always heard that you shouldn't shoot 5.56 through .223 so I haven't done it. However, I've read plenty of things online about guys shooting 5.56 in their Colt CRP-18. Nonetheless, I'm not trying it.

ETA: Just found this on Colt's website regarding the acceptable cartridges. I was thinking it was possibly .223 "Wylde", which accepts both.

".223 Wylde Match Chamber accepts SAAMI-spec .223 ammo and NATO-stamped 5.56x45mm ammo"

Kick-arse!! I have about 500 rounds of 5.56 stocked up, so I'm good to go with the Colt! Glad I clicked on this thread and looked this up.

[This message has been edited by Bluto (edited 4/2/2013 1:07p).]
Log
AG
The .223 was probably SP and not FMJ.
BrazosDog02
AG
Yeah, .50 a round is ridiculous, but I did get one box just because I have no ammo and I hate having fancy paperweights.
Aggie Squared
AG
I think the $20/box .223 is a varmint round and not just a regular FMJ style round for $10/box.
OutdoorAg2010
AG
^
Definitely right. I went to Academy today and saw the varmint rounds for $20. Bought a 20 round box of remington 223 on Saturday for $10
BrazosDog02
AG
Ok....what is a "varmint" round.

"It's for varmints, dummy!"

Seriously, is it hollow point or what?
Log
AG
Typically polymer tipped bullets. Or soft points or hollow points. Any "premium" bullet that is not a FMJ.
BrazosDog02
AG
Cool.
lazuras_dc
AG
So explain boat tail
NRH ag 10
AG
Varmint bullets: thin skinned bullet designed to fragment quickly in small game.

Boat tail: tapered tail to reduce drag and increase the length for a given bullet weight.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
So explain boat tail

The descriptive term "boat tail" is a particular shape of a projectile, which oddly enough looks like a boat does from altitude:

As NRH stated, the shape is superior ballistically than a flat base projectile and will generally travel farther, faster and flatter than any other shape.

A VLD projectile is a boat tail on steroids.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.