Outdoors
Sponsored by

Deer stand windows / design ideas

45,181 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by milkman00
milkman00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I came across a new "tower" (an old fuel tank stand) that I plan to build a box for since the wind took out one of my blinds. Thinking about a 4ft x 8 ft box to take advantage of the supports on the tower. Bottom of box will be about 5ft off the ground. Figure this will be a good "family" stand.

I have a bunch of wood I can frame it with, but want something that will last and be good for the kids I know to grow up with. Thought about buying some nice windows for it, and am turning to yall for suggestions, both in regard to the windows and design in general. Most of the windows I found online fail to have good pictures to judge quality, design, etc.

Kids are 5 now. Will only need to shoot out of one 8 ft side and the 4 ft side on the right (when seated in stand). Plan to use old office chairs with adjustable height seats.

How high would you put the windows? Any window brand recs? Other design suggestions?

Thanks!
FSGuide
I have sat in a couple different blinds over the years where the windows fold in 90 degrees and become shelves when they are open. I liked it. But of course you couldn't sit in the blind with the windows closed and see out. I know a lot of people that leave their windows closed on their blinds if its to cold for them outside. I like to have mine open no matter what.
drummer0415
AG
I have never sat in a blind that had actual windows, just cutouts. I think it would be awesome to have actual windows that you could close when its cold out and stay warm in the blind. The only problem I foresee with that is the window making noise when you open it to shoot. I can just picture myself sitting there in the blind with the windows closed and it's all warm and cozy, and then a huge buck walks out, I open the window and it squeaks like a MF'er and scares the giant buck away. Either that or it takes me too long to open the window and I miss the opportunity.

As for selecting windows, try going to Home depot and putting your hands on a couple different makes/models to see what you think is good quality, and then go home and see if you can buy the same thing for cheaper online.

[This message has been edited by drummer0415 (edited 3/21/2013 1:24p).]
Horse with No Name
Was it really the wind or did you just have some hunters with poor etiquet use the blind this past season?

I've only hunted in one stand that was 4x8 and hated trying to cover all the windows while hunting. The extra room is nice if you have two competent shooters--one on each end--but is difficult to move from one end to the other if you are alone. 5x5 gives you some extra square footage while allowing you to cover all the shooting holes.

As for your original question, find a habitat for humanity home store in Austin or SA and buy 3-4 windows that they have in the store. Vinyl will cost more, but will operate smoothly for longer than aluminum. I would not use swing in windows as that's one more thing to maneuver around inside the stand.
gsp_hunt
I used prefabricated bathroom windows. 24" x 8", that slide horizontally. Nice if is raining sideways or strong wind.
dulak
AG
I built a 4x6 box blind 2 seasons ago and installed aluminum framed sliding windows purchased from Ideal Aluminum in Victoria. (www.ideal-aluminum.com/photos.html)

The windows are spring loaded into the frame and are easy to remove to allow a unobstructed opening. I have had no leaking issues to date.

As far as window height, I believe I set my windows so that my gun rests at 40" above the floor. I sit in an adjustable office chair like you described and have had no issues.

tlh3842
AG
Several ways to make windows without worrying about any real issues. Some install official bathroom or other small home type windows, but plexiglass can be great. I've built stands with a plexiglass sheet with two hinges in the bottom and the window hinges in and the hangs parallel with the wall. WD-40 or PB blaster every season or so will keep them nice and quite.

Another way to do it is with just a piece of plexiglass or two, with slide from left to right in a groove formed by a 1x1 or any size really piece of wood just below the window with the same wood just about the window opening. Not sure if that made sense, if not I can find a picture.

Windows are a blessing when it's really windy and howling through the windows. Also the window acts as a shield between you and the deer and there's less chance of him looking through the plexiglass seeing than if you had just an opening, if you are not sky high and somewhat level with the ground and closer to game. Also about 8" high is plenty of window
ShaggyAggie01
AG
where do you put windows?
DeerHunter
I followed a blind build on TBH where a guy used deerview windows. I thought they were pretty cool looking and sounds like they might be what you're looking for.

www.deerviewwindows.com
909Ag2006
AG
I recently finished building a blind and installed windows made of acrylic (similar to plexiglass). My window openings are 8" by 35". I bought a sheet of 30" by 36" acrylic at Lowes and had them cut it into 10" by 36" panels. I also bought another 10" by 10" panel (I'll explain why in a bit). Get you some 1.5" hinges (2 per window). Drill holes in your acrylic for your hinges and mount the acrylic just above your window opening. You'll need to cut smaller pieces of acrylic to fit underneath the top side of the hinges to make them flush with the main window or else it won't close all the way. (thus, the extra 10" by 10" piece of acrylic).

Lowes and Ace are the only places I know of that will still cut acrylic/plexiglass/glass. Home depot won't do it.

[This message has been edited by 909Ag2006 (edited 3/21/2013 4:36p).]

[This message has been edited by 909Ag2006 (edited 3/21/2013 4:37p).]
TexAggee05
AG
My dad and I both put deerview windows in our stands this year. Couldn't be happier with them. It's nice being able to shut out the cold wind when you need to.
milkman00
AG
I've been pretty strict on who gets to come hunt lately, and if I keep finding more beer caps in my stands than beers hunters give to me to drink, there will be even fewer guests. Luckily in the place this stand is going I only have to shoot out two windows, but I can see Horse's point about a stand being too wide. Although I guess it would be plenty wide for me to guide those pesky free-loating guests. May shorten it down some to allow for a platform at the top of the stairs to make it easier getting in and out with my godsons. Anyone have experience hunting with two adults and two kids to know how much room is needed?

Did anyone try the Deerview IMVS windows or just the horizontal sliding/removable ones? I called the Victoria place and they are cheaper than the Deerview ones, if anyone cares. $34 for 24x10 and $64 for 48x10.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using hardiplank compared to plywood on the sides? I'm not concerned about weight, as I have access to machinery to put the box on the tower, etc. What about the size of the door? Am I better off putting it in the short side or the long backside of the stand?
tx4guns
AG
My new stand will have the Ideal Aluminum windows. We use them a lot for blinds.
Deerdude
I do the hinged flap for windows mainly to keep owls out. They stay hinged up and open for season. I also thread burlap on wire on top and bottom with two pieces meeting in the middle for each window. Can be semi-transparent and slid open as needed to cover movement inside the blind. Also reduces a cold wind or sunshine as needed.

I don't like windows. They usually end up noisy after a year of blow sand getting in the tracks.
DriftwoodAg
AG
The stand at my Grandpa's has one 8"x24" hinged window on each side. They open up and the guy that built it bend some coat hangers to prop it open. They don't make any sound opening, so I can keep them closed if it is too cold.
milkman00
AG
Hey Hot Rod - we need to get a drink or something sometime. Shoot me a text.
Old Sarge
AG
We copied the design from the Shadow Hunter blinds they sell at Academy, with a couple of improvements.

We did require the use of a sheet metal shear and press break, but we knew the shop owner and gave the hand some pepsi and a taco and we had our sections ready before we knew it.

Easy to put on and take off and should last a lifetime, sans the plexiglass which will last about 6 years.
Allen76
AG
I bought the smallest aluminum framed windows that Home Depot had for my last blind.

They are about 18" tall x 12" wide, and are very easy to frame to a plywood wall with 2x2's.
milkman00
AG
Measured my base. 38x 88 in. On the outsides, with currently only saucer size flat steel on the corners. Need to get some pics, apparently a lot of posters have time on their hands and are bored with other threads, so maybe I can score a set of detailed plans perfected by the OB over the next couple months. ;-)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.