Outdoors
Sponsored by

Palo Duro Canyon

4,931 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Geriatric Punk
TinkerAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone done any primative camping/backpacking in Palo Duro Canyon or know any sources to research for planning a trip? I am thinking about taking the wife and 8 and 10 year old camping. Never been there, but have done Big Bend twice and Devil's River State Park once, so wanting to check out this area.

Any insights would be appreciated.

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them" --Jack Handy
BurrOak
AG
Never camped there, but I have made a drive through it once. Spectacular sight.

Its pretty cool, when your driving up to the place its all flat prairie in every direction for as far as you can see, and then BAM, you're in a huge canyon.
Pro Sandy
AG
Never there but have at Caprock Canyon SP. I think my tent still has red dirt on it. Cool think there is a trail system that includes two old railroad tunnels.
Pro Sandy
AG
This obscure thread might help.

http://mobile.texags.com/Forums/39/Topics/2125220
chocolatelabs
AG
I would look at the maps of both Caprock and Palo Duro.

I would think caprock canyons would be more remote and less people. Remember winter up there is not the same as winter south of i-20. if you camp in the winter be prepared for temps from -10 to 80 and you could see those temps on the same day.
TinkerAg
AG
Pro Sandy--excellent link. Tons of information. I was actually considering Cap Rock, but just don't know enough about either to make a decision at this point.

So, I had not really considered the temperature. In mid-March, is backpack camping still too cold? I know this depends on the person and the gear, but I will be bringing the 8 and 10 year old nose miners. We live in SA, so cold weather like the Panhandle is has is a stranger to them.

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them" --Jack Handy
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
If you go to palo duro, try to wait until the summer and go watch the play Texas. You will not be disappointed.
SpiDer2008
AG
Went back in early November 2011 with the ex. We camped out of the back of my pick-up truck tent. It was windy above the canyon but in the canyon its nice and still for the most part. Really liked a lot of the hiking. Be careful with snakes if you go in the summer. I have a feeling that place is crawling with them when its not cold. other than that, I would go back for sure (with a new woman)
chocolatelabs
AG
tinker march weather can be all over the place and all in the same day. 20 deg weather wouldn't be out of the question at all. You could do it, but if you don't like the cold make sure you kids have warm sleeping bags....
tony
AG
March could be great or a snowstorm
If you have good fear and experienced kids it would be fine. If its your first time I'd wait
CanyonAg77
AG
Hey, been out of pocket all day, but don't have tons to add to what was already posted. Yes, March in the Panhandle can be marvelous or it can be brutal. If we don't get rain, you could have some real bad sandstorms then.

As I said in the linked thread though, the canyon really modifies the weather. Protects you from the wind, etc. Beyond that, prepare for anything.

Spring break is a busy time at PD Canyon, so book a site early if you can. I'm not really a camping person, but I don't think there are very many true "primitive" camping sites, as in hike in-hike out. I do know there are sites with camping pads next to where you park your car.

Caprock Canyons does have hike-in primitive sites, as I recall.

As far as picking between the two:

Palo Duro is more developed. It is also close to a major city, so you're going to have more day visitors in and out. Probably more campers and fifth wheels. And since you are in a canyon, the scenery is more spectacular and the bottom of the canyon more protected from the wind.

Caprock Canyons is the same type of terrain, just further down the creek so it is more open country. Bluffs on one side, rolling terrain on the other as opposed to bluffs on both sides.

CC will likely be much less crowded, and it's going to be slightly less of a drive. Still a beautiful park if you like the caprock country. And it has the Texas State Buffalo Herd.

The down side is that CC is miles from a town of any size. Quitaque has a Allsups, and that's pretty much it. So no museums, restaurants, etc. as with PD Canyon. No easy resupply of essentials.

The rails to trails is interesting, and it does have some primitive camping off of it. The downside is that most of it is away from the bluffs of the caprock, and mostly down in the rolling farm and ranch land. Maybe an overnight camping place, I wouldn't consider it for a week. Google "Clarity Tunnel" for the tunnel on the trail. It was the last active railroad tunnel in Texas when it closed down 20-30 years ago.

Post any specific questions or pm me for more info.

Ironically, we may be in San Antonio in march. Daughter has training at Randolph, and we're probably going to be headed south about the time you head north.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 1/8/2013 9:39p).]
CanyonAg77
AG
Regarding weather, March 11-15 in Amarillo (spring break)

Normal highs 61 to 62 degrees
Normal lows 32 to 33 degrees
Record highs 86 to 92
Record lows minus 3 to 11
Normal rainfall 0.05 inches (note: Most years 0 with 1/4 to 1/2 possible
Record rainfall 2 inches
Record snowfall 5 inches

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/local_data.php?wfo=ama
ursusguy
AG
Personally, I enjoy cold weather camping and have stayed there several times in December-February. Snow in the canyon is pretty neat.

It helps when you had a scoutmaster that never canceled a campout in 38 years due to weather.
agent-maroon
AG
One comment about the Panhandle wind in March - it can be absolutely brutal. I've seen all day steady winds of 50-60 mph with gusts over 100 during spring break. And while the canyon does lower the wind effects it doesn't take them away.

The last time I was in PDC it was late Fall when the wind was merely average and it was still very windy in the canyon. My new wife and I were sitting on a picnic table when a sound like a lightning crack nearly knocked us off our seats. Turns out the sound was a huge cottonwood branch coming down about 20 yards from where we were sitting. If you do go don't camp under the cottonwoods.

Don't know your schedule and how important March is for your trip, but IMO April & May are the Panhandle's best months. And it should still be pretty chilly by San Antonio standards.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CanyonAg77
AG
The good thing about the wind is that it keeps all you pansies from moving up here and ruining the place with overcrowding.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
I've seen all day steady winds of 50-60 mph with gusts over 100 during spring break.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ama/?n=rec_norm_ama
quote:
The highest wind speed recorded was 84 mph from the southwest on May 15, 1949. A tornado passed within 0.8 miles of the station.
*This was a one minute wind speed. We have only recorded peak gusts on climate forms since 1971. Since then, the peak gust is 81 mph recorded on April 19, 1973, June 19, 2008, and July 22, 2011.
agent-maroon
AG
You're right about that CanyonAg77. That Fall trip we were on was a job interview. I wanted to move back to Amarillo but for whatever reason my Cajun wife didn't think too highly of the weather.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agent-maroon
AG
quote:
I don't believe this at all. I remember in the 70's, Doppler Dave coming on TV and showing the windspeed indicator PEGGED on 100 miles perhour! Showed that for a lot of the afternoon! We used to watch the tall buildings sway in the downtown area!

http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2011-07-24/thunderstorm-gust-ties-wind-speed-record

I'm not the only person that remembers this, pretty sure this comment was the same day that I was thinking of. Those 100 mph wind readings were probably near some structural ground effect like between two buildings or something that funneled the wind above a proper reading.

But at any rate, can we at least agree that 80+ mph winds in the absence of a tornado can still be considered on the high side of normal?
TinkerAg
AG
Many thanks to all for the great insights. Obviously a wealth of knowledge on this site.

I was born in Lubbock, but left way to early in my life to remember much about it. Still have a sister that lives up there with her family, and the stories about the wind are certainly echoed by her.

We are actually seeking areas where we can be isolated. Being out and away from folks is what we enjoy when we are camping, which is why we love Big Bend so much. CC sounds interesting.

TinkerAg
AG
BTW---any fishing in either CC or PDC that is worth planning for....?

CanyonAg77
AG
Not enough water flow in the creek at Palo Duro to sustain fishing. Lake Theo in CC has fishing, and will be stocked in February with rainbow trout.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/trout_stocking.phtml

They have stocked PD Canyon before, but it is not on this year's schedule. They also stocked the pond in Canyon's SE Park back in December (in the city limits, 12 miles from PD Canyon)
CanyonAg77
AG
I didn't think there were primitive or hike-in sites in PD Canyon, but here's some info from http://www.palodurocanyon.com/info.php
quote:
Back-Packing Sites
Back-pack camping is permitted only in the area south of the turn-around. You must hike into the area for at least 30 minutes. Water is only available at the trailhead. Fires are not permitted, although stoves with containerized fuel are permitted. You must carry out all that you carry in. Pets are permitted but must be kept on leash at all times.
FEE: $ 12.00 per 4 persons.

Developed Primitive Areas
There are two camping areas that have been designated "primitive". (Cactus and Fortress Cliff) The areas have designated camping sites. Each has a table, a shade shelter, fire-ring and water available in the area. They have no restroom or shower facilities. You may drive (1/2 to 2 miles) to an adjacent camp loop for restroom/shower facilities. A maximum of 8 people are permitted in each site.
FEE: $ 12.00 per site.

Map of turnaround

The end of the loop road at the top left of this map is what they are calling the turnaround.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 1/9/2013 9:10a).]
CanyonAg77
AG
Caprock Canyons State Park

Caprock Canyons by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Streambed through gypsum by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Gypsum layers by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Natural Bridge by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Caprock Canyons State Park by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 1/9/2013 9:24a).]
CanyonAg77
AG
Rails to Trails south of Quitaque (and south of Caprock Canyons SP)

trailway by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

trestle across small creek by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Los Lingos creek trestle by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr
CanyonAg77
AG
Palo Duro Canyon

IMG_8626 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

IMG_8618 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

IMG_7248 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

IMG_7268 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 1/9/2013 9:38a).]
CanyonAg77
AG
Recently stumbled across a page on the Amarillo Convention and Visitors web site. Pretty cool:

360 degree panoramas of PD Canyon

And to brag a bit, they recently had a photo contest for PD Canyon. Several categories, I managed to get first place in the "people in the park" category for amateur photographers.

The photo is of my daughter, the USAF pilot and her (now) husband in the park. Look for the dragonfly in the foreground.

river dragonfly by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 1/27/2013 9:15p).]
AgLaw06
Make sure you stop at that donut place, I can't remember what it's called but you'll find it.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Make sure you stop at that donut place, I can't remember what it's called

http://www.thedonutstop.com/

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 1/27/2013 11:28p).]
AgLaw06
That's the one!
CanyonAg77
AG
So to reinforce the weather conversation, this was out my front door six days ago.

drift along front walk by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

And yesterday, it was 65 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, not a breath of wind, and we went to Caprock Canyons and hiked in short sleeve shirts.

Here's a view from the trail to the South Prong primitive camping area

Stream cut, CC State Park by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

A closeup of some of the bedded gypsum layers in the Permian formation.

Gypsum layers, CC State Park by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Lake Theo in the park, woefully low, but there were people fishing.

Lake Theo CC State Park by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Lake Theo CC State Park by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Bonus shots, the also woefully low, nearby Lake Mackenzie, with a nice sunset

Sunset on Lake Mackenzie by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Sunset on Lake Mackenzie by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 3/3/2013 8:42p).]

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 3/3/2013 8:44p).]
ursusguy
AG
Great pictures.
CanyonAg77
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Make sure you stop at that donut place, I can't remember what it's called

http://www.thedonutstop.com/

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 1/27/2013 11:28p).]
Side note: We have a new donut place, called "Got Donuts". Great place, they make the pigs-in-a-blanket that everyone calls kolaches, but aren't. But they taste great.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Thanks, Canyon. I hope to add some pics come April.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.