Outdoors
Sponsored by

Mountain Men on History channel.

4,167 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Windy City Ag
35chililights
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know, I know. Before I even start this rant, I realize that the show is filmed to be 'dramatic'. I think it has to be or the average joe wouldnt be able to hold attention, because without the drama, the average joe would be learning and we all know how the average joe feels about learning.

Marty - i do not believe that this man hiked back to his cabin after breaking down 10 miles out. without water. and in a snow storm. I do give him props for flying a snowmobile in parts and rebuilding it at his cabin.

tom - he seems so ill prepared.

eustace - the hippies he is 'raising' is some kinda of funny. and his missed deer was his fault for letting a hippie sight in his rifle and not checking it himself.

it is a shame they couldnt just let the show be factual without the added dramatic crap. Oh well, I guess that is why I venture out, to live and learn it.

edited for horrible spelling.

[This message has been edited by 35chililights (edited 6/28/2012 10:44p).]
Texas 1836
AG
I watched a little bit where the guy would get 10 gallons of water from the river every two days. Seemed a waste of a trip.

Wasn't sure why he didn't get more with each trip. Maybe they explained it.

Speaking of Mountain Men, one of the movie channels had the movie on this week with Charleton Heston. Good ole Running Moon.
AgySkeet06
AG
yeah i thought it was funny about marty walking 10 miles home.......however how did the camera man get home?? Like he really left him in the woods and drove his snowmobile back to the cabin? city folk are so gullible
ursusguy
AG
I like the scenery, and get driven bonkers by the rest.

Tom--the area they keep playing up grizzlies, has a pretty marginal population. When he goes to visit his "brother", when they "drive the mountain lion off", it is one of the worst use of b-roll I have ever seen.
nealan
Yeah, what about when Eustace's gun "misfires", but he still wounds the deer. Also, the gun the hippie was sighting in was a mossberg lever gun 30-30, but he missed the deer with a Ruger model 1.,,
35chililights
AG
yea, i didnt understand that either nealan. all i can figure is it was Justin's (the young one) job to sight in all the rifles, and he just did a poor job of it. i dunno. clearly two different rifles.
nealan
I was really expecting this show to find tougher, meaner guys. Hermits , if you will .....
matthewj042
AG
Its all staged but I find myself watching regardless....

Eustace Conway is pretty legit, at least if you've read The Last American Man
texrover91
AG
The 'misfire' made me chuckle, as did the cougar in Idaho

And if they didn't add the fake drama, the show would have a shelf life of about 5 minutes

But I do keep recording it waiting for something truly dramatic. I'd say Marty has the most potential for fail. He's got more moving parts and difficult environ to deal with.
DirtDiver
Trusting another person to sight in your rifle, what the crap? And giving him 3 bullets to use? First 3 bullets should be to check group. Once zerod it should only take about 1 bullett a year to make sure it's still on.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
it is a shame they couldnt just let the show be factual without the added dramatic crap.

Welcome to "reality" TV. I guess simply documenting things without DRAMATIC MUSICAL SCORE isn't interesting to the general public. Or at least the producers of these shows don't think so. The spouse and I have a simple comment. When one of these shows over-dramatizes some simple something, one of us will look at the other and go:

"DUNT-DUH-DUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!"

Translation: Our poor imitation of dramatic music over some non-dramatic situation.
nealan
Why do they not show Marty's trap line catches? Are they too scared of the tree huggers pouncing? They show him catch one Martin, yet he loads up a bundle of furs for his trip home. Literally all I saw him do was ride/walk around in the snow for 5 episodes. That show ain't gonna make it.
35chililights
AG
quote:
Why do they not show Marty's trap line catches? Are they too scared of the tree huggers pouncing? They show him catch one Martin, yet he loads up a bundle of furs for his trip home. Literally all I saw him do was ride/walk around in the snow for 5 episodes. That show ain't gonna make it.

My guess, is that the TV crew is slowing him down. Based on the weather and visual repairs to his windscreen, I would reckon they only followed him on one trap run, and edited it to look like more. This would also explain why he has more fur than what they caught on camera. I dont think they are sugar coating it for the libtards, because they spared no film capturing eustace chopping up deer heads with a cleaver on a stump for his dog to eat.

Of the three, Marty would be hardest to film as he is the most hard-core as far as the elements and terrain are concerned. He fully admits flirting with the boundary of what is truly life threatening.
MouthBQ98
AG
All reality TV is heavily edited, if not outright scripted for gullible city folks, because it works and they'll believe anything.
MattAg98
AG
If you want to see a show about a real mountain man, there's a PBS documentary called "Alone in the Wilderness" filmed by a guy named Dick Proenneke.
Curak73
What amc said. Saw that. Excellent viewing.

I watched the first episode and tuned out. Way overplaying the grizzly threat in my opinion.
aggielostinETX
AG
so, why isn't he melting snow for water on his stove?
nealan
I have "alone in the wilderness" on DVD somewhere. That guy is a badass!!
BQ_90
AG
quote:
All reality TV is heavily edited, if not outright scripted for gullible city folks, because it works and they'll believe anything.

At least make it funny like Duck Dynasty.

nealan
^ this. Duck Dynasty is WWAAAYYYY scripted. But I still laugh. I think it would be better if they just make it a sitcom instead of "REALITY TV"
Cowman1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Lmkm5EF5E&feature=youtube_gdata_player
35chililights
AG
quote:
Well, we've had lots of encounters with animals, and sometimes it just makes a person feel good to have a loaded weapon with them.

-Tom

Amen, brother. Both the four legged, and the two.
IlliniAg11
AG
quote:
so, why isn't he melting snow for water on his stove?

You need so much snow and it would take an extreme amount of time to melt enough snow to equal the two ten gallons he gets from the river.

[This message has been edited by IlliniAg11 (edited 7/22/2012 10:24a).]
BQ_90
AG
I love when eustace and his buddy was chasing the poacher and his buddy fell down right before they caught the guy

35chililights
AG
staged. no way the camera crew could have kept up.
Humorous Username
AG
Anyone still watching this show. Every year I keep thinking it's going to be canceled, and every year I end up watching the whole season.

For those who stopped watching long ago:

Marty quit the show last year to spend more time with his daughter.

Eustace is still kicking around in NC.

This is probably Tom's last season. He and his wife moved to Florida recently.
Windy City Ag
AG
I just did the 7 day free trial for the Outdoor channel plus and have been watching this show called Sasquatch Mountain Man.

The guy wanders around like it is still the late 1800s and hunts with an old school longbow and Hawken rifle.

It has been pretty darned entertaining . . . narrated by this old Cowboy sounding guy.

I read that they guy parlayed this show into a guest ranch and outfitter brand.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.