Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wading Spots Near or Around Galveston

42,986 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Hoyt Ag
strohag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gents,
I've finally accumulated enough gear to make my first wade fishing trip (other than guided services like Bay Flats, etc.). I was wondering what some of the better spots in or around Galveston are? I do not have a boat or kayak so I will need a place I can drive to and hop in and wade. Looking to make my first trip this Saturday. I live in downtown Houston so anywhere within an hour or two would work. I did pick up one of the wading maps from Academy so if you can reference some locations on the map that would sure help. I appreciate it.
MouthBQ98
AG
Early in the morning, Christmas bay south of SLP. You can literally drive up to many places, and walk a few yards and be right into grass flats.

I've also waded around TX city, off the dike and the seawall, and had luck with bait under a popping cork.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Seawolf Park is very good as well, but it does cost money. I've had the best luck on the side with the concrete ship. Shrimp under a popping cork is hard to beat.
schmellba99
AG
West end of Galveston (east side of SLP), Christmas Bay and Drum bay are all places that are easily accessible and offer good wade fishing.

20d 05'27.20N; 95d 07'06W - East side of SLP

On Christmas, there is a boat ramp on Seacost Drive you can park at and wade the flats to the east of the ramp. There is also access at various roads along Blue Water Highway that will give you great access to the flats of both Christmas and Drum bays.

Look at google earth and it will give you some good areas to investigate. If in doubt, post some coordinates here and ask.
cheezag03
AG
8 mile road then all the way down to end of sportsmans road. Marsh drains to a flat
cheezag03
AG
GISP. Seagrass restoration can have the water looking like Port A on a light SE wind day. Plenty of reds in the cut in the middle
MouthBQ98
AG
Forgot about sportsman's. good wading there.
BullSprig07
AG
Sportsman's, State Park, backside of San Luis Pass and Christmas are all the go-to spots. I have a few more West Bay spots in my back pocket that are trickier to get to but i don't know you that well.

TC Dike/Mosquito Island can be good at times and it's relatively close.

Anahuac NWR shoreline can be good, but it's a drive.

The Bolivar pocket is another popular walk-in spot just across the ferry. I have never fished it myself but heard it can be very good.
strohag
AG
I appreciate the feedback. I'll let yall know where we end up going and if we have any luck. Thanks!
strohag
AG
DP

[This message has been edited by strohag (edited 6/12/2012 9:13p).]
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Tons of good spots listed here. When I first started fishing around Galveston I was in FTU and picked up a book called "Wade & Kayak Fishing on the Upper Coast of Texas" by Ray Crawford. It was highly recommended and I recommend it as well.

It's well worth the $20 or so as it points out in detail walk-in spots, where to park, where you can launch a yak, etc.

It really flattened the learning curve for me.

http://www.texascoastalfishingbooks.com/uppercoastbook.html

Here's a few spots I hit:

Eckert Bayou (if you have a kayak it's excellent access to Starvation Cove)

Sportsman Road

San Luis Pass (everybody seems to go right past this gut but when the tide is moving it's always full of trout & flounder, reds will work the grass lines too)
strohag
AG
Thanks Finn, I went ahead and purchased the book online.
BullSprig07
AG
I bought the book several years ago and it helped me learn the bay system as well. Good investment.
99StationAG
AG
Heading down to Galveston this weekend, and plan to wade a bit(no boat). Don't have a lot of experience fishing that area, but seem to be some good suggestions posted here.

Any insight on some of the above mentioned spots, general fishing insight on the area, or reports as of late would be greatly appreciately.

FWIW, heading that way for Family Reunion of sorts, so will probably only get out Sat. morning, and maybe Sunday.

TIA

WB '99
kdog
I agree with fishing San Luis Pass. I have caught a lot of fish wading through there. What is tough is when you have to take a dump and all the cars going over the bridge honk and laugh. There is no place to hide.
BrazosDog02
AG
I've waded the pass in the bay on the north side of it, also went to pompano drive and seacoast....think those are my big spots. They are easy to get too. I hope you have better luck than me because I have been wading 6 times and have ONE trout o show for it. I'm there at sunup with lures and live shrimp. It has not been a productive place for me but Im optimistic people actually catch fish there. :P
Funky Winkerbean
AG
The pocket at Seawolf Park holds up under a SW wind. SLP will be chocolate under any west in the wind. The Bolivar pocket also holds up, but has tons of sharks.
76Ag
AG
A few years ago I picked up a book at Cut-Rate Fishing Tackle that has every wade-fishing spot from the Sabine to Matagorda. It's a great book to have if you can still get it.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Looking to go wading tomorrow at SLP or Galveston(preferred due to afternoon plans). Anywhere you guys think is a better bet than others for tomorrow?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.