Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anyone on the OB know anything about military insignia?

3,716 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Ark03
FSGuide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cross post from the military board, but I know the OB knows stuff so I thought I would check here too.

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2028960&forum_id=63

12th Non-Reg
You post a pic you'll get some help.

If it's something I want I'll make you an offer.
OleRock02
AG
So your MIL is worth something after all!
tx4guns
AG
I replied to your OP. You have my email if you want to just email the pictures.
FSGuide
I know these pics aren't the greatest but the 1st pin looks to me to be a unit crest. It has an anchor with what looks to be oars crossed over it. On each side of the anchor are what look to be crescent moons. We only came across one of these.

THe 2nd one is a pin that has an anchor with a chain. perpendicular to the anchor is the double twisting serpents going up a pole, which we know is associated with the medical field. On top of the pole is a set of wings.
We only have one of these pins but there are also several uniform buttons with the same design. The large buttons are about the size of a quarter and the smaller ones are about 2/3 the size of a dime.

Her father was an Engineer Officer in the Army during the Vietnam era. His rank & MOS insignia were in the same box as this stuff. His mother was in WWII and was in the medical field as a nurse.

I assume that the anchor on these things ties them to the Navy.

[This message has been edited by FSGuide (edited 1/24/2012 10:17a).]
CanyonAg77
AG
The caduceus and anchor:

Marine Hospital Service
quote:
The Marine-Hospital Service was an organization of Marine Hospitals dedicated to the care of ill and disabled seamen in the U.S. Merchant Marine, U.S. Coast Guard and other federal beneficiaries.

And I bet the first one is upside down.
CanyonAg77
AG
The first one is close to the 1st engineer battalion, but not it.

CanyonAg77
AG
7th Engineer Battalion
quote:
7th Engineer Battalion Crest

SHIELD Sable, an anchor debruised by two oars saltirewise between in fess two increscents all argent; on a chief of the last embattled a cross gules.

CREST: On a wreath of the colors (argent and sable) a fusil gules on a bridge bent argent.
Black and white were the old colors of the Engineer Corps. The anchor and oars device and the crescents are from the arms of the lst Engineers and recall the source of the cadre from which the battalion was organized in 1917. The battalion served in France during World War I with the 5th Division. The crossing of the Meuse River near Dun is indicated by the device in the chief which is not only a cross but the device of the Lords of Dun as well. The crest also symbolizes the service in France. During the difficult period between 2 and 6 November 1918 the battalion was called upon to prove itself on seven different occasions. The motto "Seven Times Tested by Fire" is a recollection of this.

FSGuide
Yeah I realized that the one pic is upside down after I posted it. So it looks like one set of stuff is from her dad and the other is from her grandmother. They were from New Orleans during that time frame and I guess she worked at that Marine services hospital. I love looking into family history. Thanks Canyon!
CanyonAg77
AG
The caduceus and anchor is also used by the Pulic Health Service and the Surgeon-General.

FSGuide
We also found this knife in a box of stuff. It is a Puma Anglermesser. It looks to be several years old by the rub marks on the brass parts. This will be a great thing for my boy to have in a few years. It still has what appears to be remnants of the last fish cleaned with it, sticking to the blades.

Is there anyway to find out how old this knife is? I know it is not an antique but it can't be all that new either. I'm guessing it is 20-30 years old since my wife's dad passed away when she was in high school.

[This message has been edited by FSGuide (edited 1/24/2012 10:50a).]
Ark03
AG
Is that 863 on the blade? That should be the model. From a quick internet search, it appears that it should have a 5-digit year code on there. If there is no date code, it should be pre-1964.

This may help:

http://www.pumaknifeman.com/GuideToCollect1.html

[This message has been edited by Ark03 (edited 1/24/2012 11:03a).]
FSGuide
Yes that is 863 on the blade. And I found the code stamped on the frame. It is 42607. If I'm reading that chart correctly that puts it as bieing made in April of 1967. Older than I thought. Its older than me be a few years.

[This message has been edited by FSGuide (edited 1/24/2012 11:11a).]

[This message has been edited by FSGuide (edited 1/24/2012 12:03p).]
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
To answer the original question?
Yes, apparently
BusterAg
AG
Canyon Ag gets 2 TAWKS points (TexAgs We Know Stuff).
Ark gets one.

Good work, carry on.
Ark03
AG
quote:
Canyon Ag gets 2 TAWKS points (TexAgs We Know Stuff).
Ark gets one.

SWEET! My first point!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.