Outdoors
Sponsored by

HOG TRAP – FIGURE 6 (pic/video heavy)

30,493 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Michael Shumard
AGGIE WH08P
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
(Sorry for the long post, but I tried to include multiple pics/videos to help describe what I built.)

Well, like most of y’all that use feeders and have hogs, you know that they come at all hours of the day and night and 99% of the time, they come while you’re not in your stand. At least this seems to always be my problem! I have used the traditional BOX TRAP with a dropping or swinging door and trip wire, but have only caught a few hogs over a long period of time and we usually only catch 1 at a time.

This is when I realized that the traditional box trap wasn’t the way to go anymore. The way I look at it is that in any given month (excluding deer season) I might go to the lease one maybe two weekends out of 4 weekends that month. So, if there are 30 days that month, I will have spent 3-6 days down there or 10-20% of that month. I can’t really keep my box trap baited or chummed consistently while only being there an average of 15% of the time. I realized that I need to find a way to trap my hogs where they know there will always be food!!

Last year I went to Tractor Supply and bought 4 16’ long cattle panels for my deer feeder to keep unwanted cows and hogs out. After having my 5’ tall fence up, I noticed I wasn’t getting nearly as much traffic at my feeder. I think my feeder pin was a little too small and the deer may have felt too claustrophobic inside my pin, so I decided to cut my cattle panels in half and double my circumference. At this time, I decide to build a Figure 6 hog trap around my deer feeder. This would allow the hogs to develop a routine and allow them to safely enter my trap (while it was locked in the open position). Then, whenever I’m there, I will simply arm my trap and try to catch these hogs while they make their normal trips to my deer feeder for an easy meal! Using my math from above, 85% of the time that I’m not there the hogs will have full access to my feeder, but when I’m there the other 15% of the time I will set my trap and hopefully catch multiple hogs at a time!

My plan is to set my trap as soon as I get to the ranch. I will do this every trip. Then, once deer season gets here, I might still set my trap. If I walk to my stand at 5:30am and have 8 hogs trapped under my feeder, well then I might try another place to hunt for the morning and then come back later and kill and remove the trapped hogs. On one hand it would kind of suck if the trapped hogs keep me from hunting my stand, but on the other hand I would end up killing multiple pigs! If this becomes a common problem and it’s always messing up my hunting, then I will lock my trap door closed so hogs can’t enter my trap/feeder pin. I think this is probably what I’ll end up doing when the rut starts.

Now to the pictures….

Here is the entire trap.

This is the entrance to the trap. Same concept as a minnow trap…easy to enter, but confusing to exit. I added a small piece of scrap panel to the entrance and bent the wire out. This is to keep cows/calves out.

Here is a close up of my funnel. The left side is the “O-CIRCLE” portion of my trap and the right side is the branched off section that catches the hogs as they circle my trap. I added a post on the right branch to keep it stiff so the cows or pigs don't knock it over.

This is how I have my door setup. At first I had a spring rigged to close the door and a tree branch to hold my door open and act as my trip wire. The spring would close the entrance door too tight and it seemed as if it would be hard for another hog to enter from the outside. So I just decided to rig up a simple rope/pulley deal with a weight that would shut the door. The weight I used is half of an old brick. Heavy enough to close the door, but light enough to allow other hogs to enter. Truthfully, I probably don't really need any form of weight since the fence panel is springy enough and will close by itself.

Here is how it looks when the TRIP BRANCH is tripped and the door shuts.

This is a close up of the entrance door from inside my trap. On the actual door, I added some barb wire just in case these hogs try to stick their snout through the door to get out. I made sure to bend the barbs towards the inside so hogs that try to enter, once the door has been tripped, won’t be poked by the barbs.

Here is a picture from the top

This is a picture of my trap from a few weeks ago. This is my chum line that I had to get the pigs to enter through the door. I've added more posts and updated the entrance since I took this pic.

Here is video #1. I think you have to click on the picture to start the video.

Video #2-Trap Door. I'm still not 100% satisfied with it, but I’ll see how it works in a few weeks when I go back. If it’s not working properly, I just might bend the door a little more and not worry about having the pulley/weight method. Like I said before, the panel has enough spring to shut on its own.

Video #3-Close up of my cattle panels. The next trap I make will probably only need one strand of barb wire. I just used a second stand because I tried to salvage an old piece of cattle panel, but this made it have a small gap where the two met.

Here is a picture from a few weeks ago when my trap wasn’t fully complete. I added about 6 more posts to make my fence tougher and I also added barb wire all the way around it. Notice the 4 hogs under the feeder eating and the one hog about to exit on the far right.

Another picture of a hog eating under my feeder and a hog outside my trap trying to find his way in. You can see a piece of my scrap panel lying on the ground. That piece is used as the “funnel catcher” or the top portion of a “6”. I read that if hogs want to enter an area, they will just circle the perimeter until they can find out where to enter. Even though the cows knocked over my branched finger, this hog was still able to make his way in

Here are 8 more piggies enjoying a free and easy meal. I think there is a 9th one trying to find his way in.

This picture makes me believe that cows wouldn’t screw with my trap! This cow sadly looks into my trap and sees the hog peacefully eating while she just stands outside the fence!!

This made me confident that deer could easily jump over my fence/trap without any issues. Yeah, I might have an issue with fawns, but we’ll see.

Here is a link that kind of gave me this idea. I did some research on the internet and found this link pretty helpful:
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1321152/1

Anyway, I just wanted to posts these pictures and videos and share my project with everyone. Hope y’all enjoyed it!

[This message has been edited by AGGIE WH08P (edited 5/30/2011 11:56a).]
AGGIE WH08P
AG
I think next time I set my trap and my door doesn’t properly work or catch multiple hogs at a time, I might install a trip wire under the feeder itself. Maybe keep the same rope and pulley setup, but run the rope 4” above the ground and have it stretch a good distance under the feeder. I’ll just have to see how this trap door setup works

[This message has been edited by AGGIE WH08P (edited 5/30/2011 12:28p).]
Picadillo
I'm sure you relocated them humanely to a nearby county.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Yeah, if I were them I wouldn't have stopped for miles! Especially if they heard their friend squeal like she did!

I never had a perfect shot until my last one. She was running away from me and my first two bullets hit her in the a$$ and back foot. Each of those shot were followed by a hell-ashish squeal! My third shot hit her in the head.
bushman
AG
How tall are the panels, they sure do look short? I am afraid our hogs could jump out of that thing. Could just be the angle and height of the feeder throwing me off, though.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
The standard cattle panel is 50” tall x 16’ long. I cut the panel in half and it’s raised a little off the ground. So it’s probably 25-30” tall. Barb wire is wrapped all the way around it and then another stand is on the bottom third of the panel.

I originally bought 4 16’ long cattle panels for $20 and cut them in half and it gave me 8 panels. I was tempted to either raise it up 6-8” and run barb wire all along the base OR keep it flush with the ground and run 1-2 strands of barb wire at the top. I’m curious to see what the trapped hogs will do once I have them trapped and start shooting. I’ll probably stay in my truck about 30+ yards away and shoot them from a safe distance.

Tractor supply sells hog panels that are 16’X 30 or 36” tall. The squares are smaller and cost $25. Keep in mind that you can’t cut these in half since they are already pretty short. The full size cattle panels (16’x50”) are $24 and you can cut them in half and reduce your supply cost. But you would still have to add some barb wire the keep pigs from climbing or jumping out. I’m really curious to see what my future trapped hogs will try to do once they hear my gun shots!
AGGIE WH08P
AG
I'm 6'4" and I can barely step over the fence. The barb wire gets awful close to poking me in the junk!
Naveronski
AG
Good idea. I've seen this type design done before with good results.
OasisMan
AG
cows are so dumb
ursusguy
AG
I know it sounds odd, but if you sit down on the ground, about eye level to them, they will practically line up for you. The most dominate pig in the trap will bow up to you at about 6 feet or closer. Then you can work your way through as they work through their dominance.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Huh....interesting. I'll definitely have to try that out.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
bump for good ag,....
Dunbar
AG
Youtube "jäger pro"
You're welcome
TexaN792
AgEng06
AG
I hate to be a naysayer, but I'm almost certain that when you actually "trap" some pigs, they will jump out of that trap. When they realize they are caught and start to panic, they can jump very high. You might still have some in there when you drive up, but there will be some that escape.

For instance, the pig below didn't quite make it over this fence, but you can see how close she came. They are also going to try to dig under, and you can see some evidence of that in this pic. After we trap some, we have to go in and level the ground and fill the holes if they are in there for very much time...

AgEng06
AG
Annnd, I just noticed this is from 2011. Oops...
AgySkeet06
AG
ageng, as long as you make it to the party no one cares how late you are
Michael Shumard
Just e careful. When you set the trap, i wouldnt let it go more then 8 hours being SET...

We did something very similar - and we came down adn all our equipment was knocked over. one hog thats not happy will knock it over.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.