Outdoors
Sponsored by

State record certificate came in the mail today

12,419 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by MasterAggie
NW80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No "FS GUIDE", stop and look what some guy is proud of!

My GAWD!

Jeez, a 2.5 lb "ANYTHING" out of a water hazard in Memorial Park would've warranted a post!

Not some POS trash fish out of the sewer!

What has this board become!

Ugh!
schmellba99
AG
I tell you what, NW80, whatever the board has become, you have contributed to making it fall faster and sink lower in the last few months with your incessant rantings and general craptastic posting.

The guy has a state record. Just because it's not a largemouth that was stocked in Lake Fork 4 or 5 years ago doesn't make it any less. Get the F over yourself.
Log
AG
NW80, if I ever need emergency care, I want you to work on me. That being said...........

Assuming you aren't on sauce (and in that case, don't post when on it), shut the eff up. If you don't like someones post, it's fine to make your opinion know, nicely, once. Any more than that, and you are just dumping on the post and trying to force your opinion on others. It doesn't work, and it makes us not like you.

In regards to the Pleco, I had those in my aquarium as a kid. Never knew they got that big. Pretty friggin' cool.
DeluxeAg07
AG
NW80 rooted against the Ninja Turtles too. A little glowing green goo never hurt anyone, buddy. If you change your mind, I'd be more than happy to show you some good spots to catch nuclear waste fish.

Nice fish Ayto! I'm definitely jealous of the Rio. I've seen them down there before, and have a small one in my aquarium, but I've never caught one on the fly.

Very true comment about the gators. I got a picture of a 7 or 8 footer a few hundred yards from campus when I was at UH last year. Pretty crazy.
NW80
AG
No sauce!
BurnetAggie99
Blue Tilapia make fine eating if you catch them from clean water.
MouthBQ98
AG
Blue tilapia and Rio Grande cichlid are ALL OVER the place in the Houston area, and plecos too.

Those giant plecos are worth a fair amount to aquarium guys.
Urban Ag
AG
I'm down with killing off the invasive fish, but NW80, you're becoming a complete and total tool. Soak your head.

OP - cool story. I enjoyed the thread.
AG
I used to fish old lake finfeather back in the late nineties. I only got kicked out about three time by the Bryan cops. No I didn't eat any of the fish.
agrams
AG
How is the state record tarpon only 10 pounds? I don't saltwater fish, but would have expected to have a decent size tarpon on the books. Do they just not reside along the Texas coast?
Jaydoug
AG
As a native Houstonian who grew up biking the bayous of the Tine, with Sims bayou being my home bayou, I just have to say that your are the man. I bet that 10# Carp fought like a Blue Marlin on that fly rod.

Now I have the state record for the most Crack vials destroyed by a Huffy front tire in a 10 minute span. See if you can top that!

[This message has been edited by Jaydoug (edited 4/11/2011 8:29a).]
Jaydoug
AG
Oh, and I'm linking this to the Tine board. It'll blow their minds...
Arminius
quote:
Jeez, a 2.5 lb "ANYTHING" out of a water hazard in Memorial Park would've warranted a post!

Not some POS trash fish out of the sewer!

What has this board become!

Good post. What is this board about but the ultimate advocacy of getting into the outdoors and conserving and enjoying creation?

I'm sorry that the south's foremost embodiment of technology and medicine somehow does not equate to said enjoyment in your mind.

If a long-standing poster of this board fails to recognize people making the most of what opportunities present themselves, God save this board.

Not fisherperson in Houston has time to or can afford to travel to stocked lakes or rivers and other bodies of water with high oxygen and visibility levels. They fish murky waters of Bear Creek and Addicks reservior, kayak Buffalo Bayou and make the best of their time. Whether they register it as trophy or record or fail to exercise the caution to not shower or even to not eat their catch, that is another matter.

Good question and worth repeating - what has this board become?
ccolley68
AG
Bayou fishing in Houston can be productive if you are willing to do it. Me, not so much, but a mason I had working on a Walmart we had was more than willing to fish them. He was a tournament bass fisherman from Ohio. We were building the new Walmart at 45/Crosstimbers. He was staying in one of the shatty hotels on the west side of 45/Crosstimbers right on the bayou. He would see fish popping the surface and finally went down there. He said he caught fish everytime he went down there. He even caught a 4lb bass once out of there.

Congrats to the OP!! A record is a record, regardless of species or what others may say. I think its pretty cool, though the first picture you posted of that fish kind of turn my stomach a little, that is a wierd looking fish. Haha.
MouthBQ98
AG
quote:
How is the state record tarpon only 10 pounds?

Freshwater... The young tarpon often swim a fair bit upriver.

Also, all those concrete bayous are are former real bayous and creeks that were re-engineered for flood control. They would have more or less been there anyways, and with the same native fish species in them that are anywhere else.

I've caught 6lb catfish and 5lb largemouth bass out of Cypress Creek on the north side of Houston. There aren't a lot of bigger fish, so I do catch and release, but there are a ton of smaller fish. The same species should be in those concrete bayous, too.
str8shot1000
AG
Very nice, OP. Congrats for making the most of your outdoors opportunities and getting a state record!
Randall Marsh
Nice catch. I caught this in the my living room/bar ditch behind Masone's.

Post removed:
by user
Neches21
I fly fish Houston bayous all the time and I see the plecos munching on the banks. I've never been able to catch one or the grass carp that I constantly spook. I fish the bayou because it is close to home and the fish are extremely challenging to catch on a fly rod.

Congrats on the record.

Forget NW80. You should upgrade to a Sage fly rod just to piss him off.
Sean98
AG
I'm not a regular on this board so I'm sure I'll get slammed by the 'establishment' but I approve of this thread!!
Dynastar97
To the OP, congrats! Cool story with pics. You made a point to get outside and fish, no matter if it happened to be located in a concrete jungle. Make the best of the circumstances and enjoy the OUTDOORS.

To NW80....pizz off. You ***** and moan more than my first ex-wife.
concac
AG
how many ex-wives do you have?
MasterAggie
AG
Damn man can't you be happy for anyone that isn't you? He is fishing and enjoying himself doing so. Might not be the record you want to set but he wanted to and dammiy he did it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.