Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hi-Point 45 for $110???

3,892 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by LSRR
Sq16Aggie2006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are Hi-Point's P.O.S's or what? That's pretty damn cheap .
The Anchor
AG
Depends on what you are buying it for. My FIL and a friend both have one. When I was shooting with them it jammed about every few rounds. HTH
Sq16Aggie2006
Could it be from limp-wristing or grip, or is the gun just a complete piece of crap? I'm leaning towards the piece of crap due to the 100 buck price point.
AggieChemist
AG
kayag
AG
In my experience, they are great for a $100 gun - fun to shoot, but I would never trust my life to one.
AggieChemist
AG
DiskoTroop
High Point firearms are extremely high quality fishing weights. There's a nice big eye to thread the line through right under the slide and right in front of the grip.
theJonatron
AG
^^^^
that's terrible.

I had to cover my mouth when I started to laugh.
aggielostinETX
AG
expensive paper weight
BMach
AG
But but but they have a lifetime warranty! Seriously, terrible gun. My buddy's .45 stove pipes every other round.
The Anchor
AG
quote:
Could it be from limp-wristing or grip

it wasnt
Hoss
AG
I think they're okay if all you're interested in is plinking. I wouldn't buy one as a defensive weapon...though I guess it's better than a rock.
CS78
Where is one for $110? If you dont want it I do.
MisterShipWreck
I would skip it, honestly...

Cheapest new 9mm I'd buy for defensive purposes is a $300 Ruger P95. Next would be a Stoeger Cougar, which is actually a pretty good gun.
Yesterday
AG
It is what it is. It's a cheaply made, uncomfortable, unreliable big bulky firearm that is very inexpensive. If you want to go shoot just to shoot buy this gun. If you want a good reliable gun then this ain't it.
AgeofEase08
AG
eh..... id rather buy a good bottle of scotch.
Gigemags05
AG
Like others have said, I wouldn't trust my life to one, but they are alright for just plinking.

My buddy has one that has never jammed. its huge, and its ugly, but it shoots alright. I guess he got lucky.

35chililights
AG
from the FAQ...

POS hi-points

Hi-Point handguns

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine

hi-point pistols...

...and this one will be added to the list.
aTm papi
who here has actually FIRED a Hi-Point? i'm not talking about hearing what a friend, wife's cousin, the homeless man on the corner, friend's cousin's sister's boyfriend said. if you have ACTUALLY FIRED a Hi-Point, chime in please.

i don't own a Hi-Point pistol, but I do own their 9 mm carbine, and that little gun has been great. i've shot over 2000 rounds of ammo, and I have only had one FTE. the reason I bought it is because I wanted something to plink around with and also wasn't going to cost an arm and an a leg. the accuracy on it is great, and I have easily been able to get 2-3 inch groupings from 15 yards away.

do me a favor and watch the video...

Hi-Point Pistol Torture Test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002
DiskoTroop
I've fired them in 380, 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP.

They function -fairly- well. They're semi reliable, but if any of the internal parts get out of skew, or if you use the wrongly designed or charged ammo, they will not function correctly.

Some say that this is true of any gun. Perhaps it is, but we have to look at the probability of this happening to other guns. The High Point's are made with some steel but the majority of internal parts (springs, sears, ejectors, extractors, etc...) are at least pot metal and best MIM parts. Also, the geometry of the trigger group is poor.

All of these factors are bad enough, but then include the fact that they're blowback operated. This gun is made of poor material, and it take a much heavier beating than a gas weapon. That's a recipe for failure in by book.

It's a fun gun to shoot at the range, (which one isn't?!?!?!) but it's certainly not a piece I'd trust my life, or the lives of my loved ones with.

And for what it's worth, at 15 yards, my 1911 will put .45 slugs through the same hole.

[This message has been edited by phideaux_2003 (edited 2/22/2011 5:42p).]
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I've shot a hi point .45

It jammed every 5ish rounds . So I'm technically getting a revolvers worth of chances in a brick sized peice of pot metal ( with a lifetime warranty that would do you no good 6 ft under)

When I say brick I mean in size and weight
jtp01
AG
I own one in .380. Its not as bad as you hear I have never had a malfunction of any kind with probably 2,500 rounds through it. It is a fun gun to plink with and will never compare to my Kimber Tactical Ultra II. The old saying "you get what you pay for" applies but it is an inexpensive shooting opportunity. I would buy another but I know what to expect.
80s Guy
I have never shot one, but I know a former Marine who used to love to pull put his Hi-Point 40 out of truck and outshoot the guys with Kimbers and other high end pistols. He kept it as a truck gun, so even if he had it stolen, he was out $150 bucks or so. I personally saw him put two hundred rounds of gun show reloads through it and no jams or anything.

That being said, his carry gun was a Rock Island 1911.
rllguitar
AG
I've owned a Hipoint .45 for going on 7 years. My Dad has owned the .380 for about 6years. They have been a great guns for what they are. It carries a lifetime no questions asked warranty. If anything ever breaks or you have problems with it, send it back to hipoint and theyll fix it for you or send you the part.

Ive carried it with me hog hunting, use it for plinking. When im not shooting with it, it sits in the truck.

Its always fed reliably for me. Never had a stovepipe or failures with factory ammo.(same for the .380)

The only flaws ive ever had with it were with hand loads. Had a few stovepipes and it cycled slow, but i know that was due to the handloaded ammo.

The only other downside is cleaning it. Dont even think about taking it apart, its too tough and too much work. Just run a swab down the barrel and clean the chamber.

For $110 get it.

I want to get the .45 carbine. Looks like itd be a blast to shoot.
dodger02
AG
FIL owns one in 9mm. I've shot it. It's a POS.

He qualified with it in our CHL class. Took him over an hour with all the malfunctions. Our instructor was the most patient man I've ever met.

Like the above poster said, it's probably the most expensive fishing weight you'll have in your tackle box.

Take the $150 and buy ammo for your other firearms...or beer.
LSRR
S
I want to shoot one just to say I've done it. Kinda like kicking a midget.

Sponsor Message:

Lone Star Rod & Rifle Texas' home for fine rifles, shotguns, handguns, and fly fishing gear.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.