Outdoors
Sponsored by

Behold! (BGE Related) -- Picture Heavy!

18,232 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by La Fours
chilidogfood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BEWARE OF WORDS!!! If you want to skip straight to the pictures, you can probably gather most of the story in kindergarten picture book style.

Preface:
After reading so many good things about the Big Green Egg on this forum and others, I had finally decided to pony up the cash and give it a whirl.

I really liked the idea of a grill table, but I didn’t want to spend upwards of $500 and I didn’t want to settle for the small version that BGE puts out. In order to prove to myself that I was really willing to make the commitment for the BGE, I wanted to put forth the time and effort in constructing my own table.

Borrowing ideas from other tables that I have found online, I drew up a list of my ideas, then a construction drawing, then a bill of materials and finally went shopping.

NOTE: It should be known that I am an electrical engineer and NOT a professional woodworker, this is the first time that I have ever tried to create a furniture quality piece and only the second time that I have ever attempted to construct anything with 4 legs and a level surface (the other being the work bench used in the pictures below).

The Story:
I had originally wanted to construct the table from a nice hardwood like oak, but quickly found that the raw material was much much more expensive. I settled on untreated pine that I could later stain and finish. The knot free furniture grade pine was about 2-3x more expensive than the bulk, so I decided to make the top deck of my table from the expensive stuff while I would make the frame and the bottom deck from the cheaper variety. (Note: I spent a good amount of time sifting through the bulk wood to find pieces which were straight, bark free and contained fewer/prettier knots)

I started the project on a Monday after work and completed it 2 Fridays later. I spent almost every night and weekend working on it though.

Picture 1:
(6/8/2010) - I have all of my lumber in my garage lying across a pair of saw horses prepared to get cut. I used a tape measure and a triangle to mark all of my cuts and a 10” miter saw to do the deed.

Picture 2:
I had finished cutting the wood for the frame.

Picture 3:
By the end of the first night, I had assembled one half of the table’s frame.

Picture 4:
(6/9/2010) – I completed the second half of the frame and attached the piece I had completed the previous night.

Picture 5:
In an attempt to keep as many screw holes as possible invisible from the outside, I made a cut out of the support beams so that I could screw the deck screws from the inside

Picture 6:
(6/11/2010) – I bought some wood filler from Home Depot to fill in the dimple created by the deck screws. It looked sloppy at first, but I needed to let it harden before I could sand it.

Picture 7:
Here is the same corner after sanding. Much better. :-)

Picture 8 & 9:
Here is the frame before and after its first stain.

Picture 10, 11 & 12:
Here are the cut 1x4s for the bottom deck before sanding and staining and then after staining.

Picture 13:
This is the side bottom deck slat that is being cut to fit.

Picture 14:
(6/12/2010) – Here are the top slats cut and stained. All of the wood received about 3 or 4 coats of stain before I was done.

Picture 15:
Here are the slats installed on the frame. I made a couple ¼” spacers to quickly measure out and hold the slat gap and a ½” spacer to quickly measure out the slat hang over.
After swapping between my drill bit and my Philips head about 20 times, I decided to get out a backup driver so that I could use one for drilling and one for…uh…screwing.

Picture 16 & 17:
The table after the hole is cut. I drew the circle by drilling a screw partially through the center of where I wanted my circle and then rotating a pencil attached to a length of twine equal to the radius of the circle around the screw. The hole was cut with a jigsaw.

Picture 18:
(6/13/2010) - I used standard wood laquer for the frame, bottom deck and underside of both decks. I used a 2 part epoxy ‘bar lacquer for the top deck. It was my first time to work with the stuff and it can be quite tricky, especially when dealing with a deck made of slats. I do like how it turned out for the most part. It looks like about 50 coats of regular lacquer.
The bottom deck and frame received about 2 or 3 coats of lacquer.

Picture 19:
Here is a close up of the stuff I used for the table top. It is pretty spendy (about $20 for that particular kit), but the results are hard to beat.

Picture 20:
(6/14/2010) – Here is the 2 gang electrical box that will contain a switch for the grill light and 2 outlets.

Picture 21:
Here is the junction box mounted directly behind the 2 gang box.

Picture 22:
(6/15/2010) – I wanted the grill light between the table top portion and the BGE, so I needed to use romex to route the power around the frame.

Picture 23 & 24:
After buying some 4” / 250lb casters, I needed to trim the legs of the table so that the table top would be at a comfortable level. I used a circular saw to make the cuts. The pictures show the legs before and after the cuts.

Picture 25, 26 & 27:
I used a trim piece of 2x4 to widen the bottom of the legs to allow for the large bracket size of the casters.

Picture 28:
Pièce de résistance! The A&M bottle opener that I ordered online. I open its first beer soon after.

Picture 29, 30 & 31:
(6/18/2010) - I finally bought and mounted the BGE! I did have to hire a crane to lower into position, but it was worth it. ;-) As you can see, I have also finished adding the grill light, tool hook and blank metal plate to the front of the table.

Note: If you noticed a few skipped days in the photos, there were a few nights that consisted of applying stain or lacquer and then waiting for it to cure before a rinse and repeat.
I didn’t keep a really close eye on the material cost of the project because I was buying some tools and other house stuff at the same time, but I jotted everything down and came up with a total cost of $250-275 for all raw materials including hardware and finishes.

Soon after the last picture was taken, I fired up the grill for a dry run burn. It quickly fired up to 700 degrees before I throttled it back to 250 and let it run for a couple hours. I still don’t have much experience with it, but I am impressed with its construction and ease of use.

I already have plans for a phase 2 of the project where I plan on adding a foldable side table on the grill side for extra table top real estate when the situation calls for it.

I had fun and learned a lot during this project, but I am glad that I don’t have to spend anymore sweaty evenings in the garage.

I’ll try to post more picture updates after some live fire bbq trials.

If only I could get a Doss sticker to top it off…

Gig ‘Em

PS. If I left out some details that you want to know, just let me know what else I can add to the writeup. If you have ideas I can use for improvements, I’m open for future upgrades.

Too Long Didn’t Read; Guy finds a way to get fatter.

[This message has been edited by chilidogfood (edited 6/18/2010 10:56p).]
rather be fishing
AG
Isn't it great when you build something you're proud of?

I approve this project.
AgeofEase08
AG
That looks great. Well done.
TeeShirt RedAss
Good job!
BarryProfit
I want one, how much do you charge?
maroonblood08
AG
Very nice work!
firethewagonup
very cool!

AGGIE WH08P
AG
Good job! I really like the finish
AggieChemist
rhomulus bonham
AG
Great job.
fido98
quote:

+1
Aggie Vet
Terk
AG
GREAT step by step pics, and the finished product looks amazing!
Jackrabbit Ag
AG
Sweet!!!
chilidogfood
AG
quote:

Thanks for the compliments, but I'm not sure that I would be able to manufacture these things and still be able to sell them to make it worth the time put in.

If you want me to scan in my drawings for you to go off of, I think I can oblige.

Does anyone have a list of good tips for BGE newbies? Some things that arent obvious, but lessons learned through experience?

[This message has been edited by chilidogfood (edited 6/19/2010 11:16a).]
schmellba99
AG
Good job - nothing like a good DIY project.

The only thing I'd change personally is that I'd most likely have added a cabinet under the top to the right side to store items in and still leave a clean look. Or install a mini fridge there - it's a tossup really.
chilidogfood
AG
I like the shelf idea. I could have it drop down from the top deck brace and connect to the right side legs.

[This message has been edited by chilidogfood (edited 6/19/2010 11:31a).]
ccard257
AG
Nicely done
helgs
Kuz89
AG
Nicely Done!

Like the bottle opener as a finishing touch.
Naveronski
AG
What is special about this BGE you keep mentioning?

It looks... like a grill?

I'm curious, educate me!
spud1910
AG
Looks great.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Outstanding work sir. I plan to be putting up a similar thread by this time next summer.
jt2hunt
chilidogfood
AG
@ Naveronski

The BGE is basically a large ceramic grill and smoker that is extremely versatile and fuel efficient.

Check out this link here with more information.

http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/big-green-egg.html

You can also google big green egg and get more information from their website.

@Finn

If you want to ask me specific questions in the future, email me at chilidogfood at gmail dot com.
SteveG
AG
Great job! I like all of the details you put in
1. Power plug (duh, you are a Double E)
2. The wheels look heavy duty. Need them to last.
3. Likey the light
4. And last but not least... the bottle opener! Where did you get the A&M opener to mount?
SteveG
AG
a few other things ...see you got the place setter. A MUST HAVE. Use this every time you do ribs, a brisket or butt. It is the way to go. Also, as far as tips...a friend tuned me on to the greatness of mustard. Yes the yellow stuff. Use it all the time in smoking and cannot tast. Essentially you later up whatever you are gonna smoke then add the rub or spices. The mustard keeps it all in place and also helps with the bark. You cannot tast it.

You are gonna love it!

[This message has been edited by SteveG (edited 6/19/2010 3:23p).]
MasterAggie
AG
Very nice! You put a heck of a lot more effort into your table build than i did. Mine looks like ass but is functional!
RustyBoltz
AG
Well I will say that I have found it easiest to clean out the ashes using a dustpan slid under the bottom.
As far as use, if you can find a smaller grille that sits lower in the egg, I have one that I use occasionally if I want to use a pan water below what I'm grillin' (mostly for ribs) or I've been known to put a plate of steel on the lower grille leaving about 1-2" gap around the edge to create some good indirect heat. That's all I can think of right this second; more later perhaps....
LuckyAgg01
I'm impressed! Great Job!
Bottlerocket
AG
WOW! Very nice. That looks amazing. Well done.

One random question: in your second to last pic, what is the white thing on the lower rack?
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Outstanding!
Texangler
Very cool.
chilidogfood
AG
The thing on the rack is called a plate setter. It sits on the firebox above the coals to create an indirect heating effect when using the egg for baking, or smoking.
Preferred Nomenclature
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.