Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hiking/fishing in Addicks Reservoir in Houston?

14,648 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by LSRR
LSRR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
The airport we're located at is right next to Addicks reservoir in west Houston. I have to drive through it all the time and there is wildlife all over the place. Deer, hogs, you name it. My dad saw the biggest buck in his life a few months back in there. Not to mention, I fly over it all the time and see old stock tanks in the middle of the woods that are presumably unfished and have been there since the land was a farm. Does anyone know if you are allowed to wander around and hike and fish in the boundary? I've looked online and cant find anything. I know it's ran by the Corps of Engineers so I doubt it's very public-friendly. Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Message:

Lone Star Rod & Rifle Texas' home for fine rifles, shotguns, handguns, and fly fishing gear.
ursusguy
AG
Out of my area, and you've probably already read this, but who knows it might be useful to somebody.
http://www.swg.usace.army.mil/Addicks/

Looks like hiking and fishing are good to go.
LSRR
S
Awesome! I looked all over. The Google is strong with this one...

Sponsor Message:

Lone Star Rod & Rifle Texas' home for fine rifles, shotguns, handguns, and fly fishing gear.
OnlyForNow
AG
LSRR for a nominal fee I might be able to provide you with aerials... since you have a plane you might have better ones though.
stroodles
AG
That place floods on a regular basis. I would assume that they would take some quality away from the fish that are available.
Arminius
LSRR, let me know when you want to go. I drive through that area on a regular basis and have been itching to check it out.

Cyprian
AG
My workplace is literally on the edge of this location, but on the southside over near I-10. The only thing I know about it right now is that all types of snakes love to come over and visit. Just last week we removed a small cottonmouth from a building. Last year a rattlesnake somehow made it into this lady's office. Apparently it freaked the lady whose office it is that morning pretty good, being under her desk and all... that would have been a sight to see, still sad I didn't get to witness that.

A guy I work with tells me he used to have a deer feeder in the back about 10 years ago just over the fence of our company's property. A couple guys would see deer on a regular basis, especially before everyone started showing up for work or if they were in on the weekend. He apparently had to take it down after it was noticed it by the wrong type of person.

[This message has been edited by Cyprian (edited 4/21/2010 7:45a).]
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Back in the 60's and early 70's when I was a youngster we'd hike, camp, fish, and hunt all over that area. LOTS of snakes so watch where you step.
Caliber
AG
I've been all over that area, but never fished it (used to have an apartment on the south side of it). There are plenty of deer and hogs out there plus numerous snakes. When it rains alot it can stay wet for a while and does flood like mentioned above, so the only way to know about any fishing it to go check it out.
Caliber
AG
Oh yeah, I forgot, watch out while you're out there, Bigfoot might get you...

http://www.texasbigfoot.org/reports/report/detail/334p
quote:
Report# 01060016 Occurred September 14, 2006 (Submitted September 20, 2006) Witness Observation
While riding on the paved trail at Addicks Reservoir Hike Bike Trail, I noticed on one of the pipeline cuts a large apelike creature. I always look for deer and usually see them but on this day there were no deer in the area. The next day I returned to see if I possibly had mistaken an object but there was nothing. The creature was taller than a man and was broader through the shoulders.

Sounds
Not during this incident. At other times have heard howls and loud squeals.

Additional Observations
Foul smells.

Time and Conditions
8:00 am - Swampy. Clear night.

TRD-Ferguson
AG
Blue Light Cemetery was always a popular place to go to. If it was a foggy night and the moon was out the fog did appear to be blue. Keep in mind there was nothing on 1960 between I-10 and 290 in those days. Once you crossed into the reserve it was empty land other than the farm houses to the west of 1960.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Good to know there are quails there.

I wonder how many folks sneak in and bowhunt that place?
Arminius
We know a certain Houstonian no longer does...
LSRR
S
I wish they allowed guns. I'd like to have a snake charmer with me while traipsing around in there.

Sponsor Message:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.