Outdoors
Sponsored by

Railroad flatcar bridge

5,471 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by MouthBQ98
Agtotal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have a dry creek to build a bridge across that will carry a standard truck or car..any ideas? I have seen a railroad flat car bridge that worked well....any help is appreciated...the span is about 60 feet...
SWCBonfire
AG
Pat Baker Co. Kingsbury, TX (830)639-4427

David Baker is an Aggie. They usually have access to wrecked rail cars and have put up several bridges that I know of, probably many more. They are top notch... I know of one installation where they re-routed the San Marcos river and installed a railcar bridge near Prairie Lea.

EDIT: I was posting from a phone and accidentally put Kingsville instead of Kingsbury. Sounds like the OP figured it out.

[This message has been edited by SWCBonfire (edited 10/19/2009 8:46p).]
Agtotal
Bonfire man...you have been great help...our site is down the road from Kingsbury toward Seguin.....many thanks...
BrazosDog02
AG
Be ready to shell out a pretty penny.
BigMitch011
Have you thought about sea crates or conex boxes? they come in 20 and 40 foot lengths. you can find them on craigslist all the time and run about 1200 for the 20 and 1600 for the 40 foot. 8 feet wide. there is also a high top model that is 9.5 feet tall.
here is a link to them on craigslist. search around your area, some deliver for free.

http://collegestation.craigslist.org/grd/1428181774.html
ChiEp90
AG
There is a place on Hwy 71 somewhere around LaGrange that has stacks of RR cars for that very purpose. I forget exactly where but I see them everytime I travel 71.
Agtotal
Thanks everybody....your leads have helped big...
MouthBQ98
AG
Any ideas for shorter spans? Say, 20 feet?
SD_71
AG
Mouth BQ, I have seen some of the ocean freight things around Houston that were flatbed type. I think some of them were 20'. Depends on how much water passes through your creek, you might be able to get by with a couple of big culvert pipes cheaper. Cover them with dirt or gravel and then top with concrete so they don't wash out if you have a flood..
BrazosDog02
AG
^
|
|

This option will be ridiculously cheaper.
SD_71
AG
I am a cheap guy what can I say???
MouthBQ98
AG
Culverts it is, then.
SD_71
AG
MBQ...How deep is your creek and is it dry or always running. I am around oilfield pipe that sometime can be picked up cheap. I got some 36" one time and welded some shorter sections together to make the pipe long enough. How wide do you need it to be at the top??
MouthBQ98
AG
I've got a seasonal/dry creek that isn't very wide. I have a wide flat area I "ford" it in right now, and another area that is really a shallow branch off it that I need to be able to cross as well. Both are about 15-20 foot spans, and maybe need to be up about 24 inches.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.