Outdoors
Sponsored by

Handgun Purchase Recommendations

8,871 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tanya 93
Mr. Dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The criteria were basically wish list, because I left out other criteria that I really only want to spend $27, and have a gun that shoots like my Colt Woodsman. So there is some wiggle room on the DA/SA feature.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dubi (edited 1/24/2010 12:53p).]
Caladan
quote:
What is sa/da?

Single action/double action (as already mentioned).

To add -- there's really no SA/DA or DA/SA handgun. A true DA is already an SA too, so there's no reason to call something SA/DA. IOW, If it's SA (like a Colt 1911), it can't be a DA, and if it's a true DA (like a Sig 239), then it's also an SA when cocked. So it's DA, or it's SA, but not both.

There are a few types of actions that kinda blurr the lines, but they aren't a tradional DA or SA.....

Caladan
quote:
The criteria were basically wish list, because I left out other criteria that I really only want to spend $27, and have a gun that shoots like my Colt Woodsman. So there is some wiggle room on the DA/SA feature.

Then why don't you just come out and tell us what you really want, so that we don't waste our time trying to help you by coming up with answers that meet a false set of criteria?
Mr. Dubi
Sorry to be evasive. I guess i know there is so much subjectiveness to selecting a pistol. I really want a hicap 9 mm. I listed those I have handled and fired in my price range. I have ruled out the Glocks, 92fs, 1911's, Sigma, 24/7. So, if anyone has thoughts on any of the following: SR9, XD9, 2022, M&P 9.

Thanks
bigfoot10s
AG
Like I said, the 17 capacity M&P 9 is a
sweet shooting gun. Champion has them right now
for under $500.

[This message has been edited by bigfoot10s (edited 1/24/2010 1:48p).]
Caladan
quote:
So, if anyone has thoughts on any of the following: SR9, XD9, 2022, M&P 9.

I would agree w/bigfoot10s (btw - 10's ain't that big...) that the M&P would be the preferable one from that group. It's a solid pistol that will allow you to customize the grip size a bit, and it has a slightly lighter trigger than the XD9. Under $500 is a decent price too.

The others aren't bad by any means, and will all do you fine. But the SR9 had not yet establised a long track record, and the Sig is slated to be discontinued. The XD doesn't allow change in grip size (the later XDm does), has a slightly heavier trigger than the M&P, has really small white dots on the sights, comes with cheap plastic accessories that you are forced to pay for whether or not you like them, and has a protruding recoil rod end that I have yet to see purpose for.

Therefore, if you aren't going to get a Glock or HK P30/P2000 or Beretta PX4 or Walther P99 or a metal Sig, then get the M&P.....
bigfoot10s
AG
I wish I wore a 10...15 is more like it. Hope you get the 10s reference
Mr. Dubi
Decided I could live with SA only, held all the guns above, grips were just a little too big to reach amg release on Beretta and Sig.

I shot the both XD and M&P. Slightly better shot with XD, but liked the feel and action of the M&P better, so I got the M&P 9.

As a side note, the M&P 9 goes well with the original M&P model 10 I inherited a couple years ago.
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
there's really no SA/DA or DA/SA handgun. A true DA is already an SA too, so there's no reason to call something SA/DA. IOW, If it's SA (like a Colt 1911), it can't be a DA, and if it's a true DA (like a Sig 239), then it's also an SA when cocked. So it's DA, or it's SA, but not both.

I will argue that a hamerless DA cannot be SA, too.

basically a SA/DA would imply that the model has a hammer and a DAO would imply that it is a hammerless double action.
jh0400
AG
quote:
there's really no SA/DA or DA/SA handgun

I own a DA/SA. The first trigger pull is a mile long (pull cocks and fires the gun) and subsequent pulls are shorter since the recoil from the previous round cocks the firearm.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Double Action = trigger cocks the hammer and releases it.

Single Action = Releases the hammer only.

For those wondering.

TAF
Tanya 93
tamuaggie2007 said:

Looking into buying a handgun in the near future. Leaning towards a 40 S&W caliber, but not too familiar with some of the different brands. Any recommendations?

Some of the brands we noticed the other day while we were out included:

Sig Sauer (P250)
Glock (23, 22)
Springfield Armory
Smith & Wesson

Anyone with any experience with any of these? Any other brands that we should make it a point to consider?

TIA!

I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.

Jane Austen
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.