Outdoors
Sponsored by

Need recommendations on the best concealed carry handgun!

13,120 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ducks4brkfast
scottyk4886
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love my Springfield XD .40 Subcompact. It's the perfect carry size weapon with a 9+1 clip and it comes with an extended clip (12+1 clip). I use a belly band style holster and you cant see any part of the gun.
cohibasymas
AG
quote:
My choice is a S&W 642 loaded with +p 158 grain hollowpoints with a Crimson Trace gen. 2 Lasergrip and a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Usually have it within reach.

+1 I use exact same setup. Love it.
FIDO*98*
AG
Springfield EMP/Kimber ultra CDP 9mm

I have a S&W M&Pc that I love and bought to replace the Kimber as my EDC, however, the single stack is just so much more comfortable I still carry with the Kimber
CyanideJenkins
AG
Fido, you saying you have both a Springfield EMP and a KIMBER CDP?

If so, how do you like the Springfield?
HZ1985
My buddy has the XD subcompact in 9mm and loves it.
FIDO*98*
AG
I don't have the Springfield, just the Kimber. For all intents of concealability they are the same gun. Debate away at which is the better. I liked them both, but, it ultimately came down to the more understated Kimber signature vs the giant EMP stamped on the side as well as the Springfield logo carved into the grips.
artifact_collector101010
XDM 9 or XDM 45 Hands Down. Concealed Carry Perfection Achieved =)
NRH ag 10
AG
Like Caladan said, the perfect carry gun is an individual matter. You're going to weigh in on how you normally dress, what size and build you are, and what you consider as a comfortable minimums and maximums in regard to caliber and capacity. Since I normally wear untucked polos and am thin, I can easily carry a fullsize gun. That's not gonna be the case for someone with a gut who has to tuck in his shirt. Caladan's suggestion of the PM9 is a good one, if I needed a small gun it would be between that and the PPS.

In the end you'll probably find that a mix works. A fullsize for home or wearing loose clothing/winter carry, a compact version of the same gun, and a subcompact/pocket type gun. You already have a fullsize gun, so it would make sense to get a M&P40c, as it will be very similar to a gun you're already familiar with. The most popular small guns are the numerous pocket .380s and .38 revolvers along with some small 9mms.
Hoss
AG
Now that I've given everyone else a chance to provide the wrong answer, I'll go ahead and throw the right one out there...

Glock 23

- Perfect size
- Good ammo capacity (13+1)
- Solid performing cartridge
- Ability to easily convert to 9mm or .357 Sig if desired
- Reliability and simplicity of a Glock
- Easy to maintain and clean

HUEY04
AG
Why on earth would you get the neutered version? Go for the Glock 29!
Hoss
AG
Size.
the enigma

EOT
nactownag
AG
1911 all the way. Ultra CDP II in .45

More firepower. Lightweight. Major sexiness.
sangredevino
My vote is for the Browning Hi Power in either 40 or 9mm. Gun has probably killed as many folks as the 1911 and fits your hand like no other. I'd recommend you shoot one before you make a decision. Stock grips are a little thick but are easy to replace.
AG
I go back and forth of what my CCW is from day to day depending on the weather and what I am wearing. I prefer to carry one of my M26s. It's perfect for the pocket of my cargo shorts. When the weather is a little cooler, I switch to my snub nose M79 loaded with HEDP.

BLOW

[This message has been edited by cplstansfield (edited 4/10/2011 5:34a).]

[This message has been edited by cplstansfield (edited 4/10/2011 5:35a).]
Signel
AG
I like my bersa CC in .380. If you carry all the time, the smaller gun is just more comfortable.

KW02
AG
I am looking for a primary carry weapon. I was looking at the XDM Compact and the Beretta PX4 both in a 9. I cna't decide. I like the Beretta for the fact that it has an external hammer.
alwayshungry
i carry a full-size hk p2000 (in .40) in a leather holster IWB and it carries and conceals with no problem....it is large enough to fit my hand comfortably (i have huge ape hands) and holds 10 in the magazine ands one in the chamber - it is polymer framed and fairly light weight

it works great for me but you may prefer a different approach/different type of gun - just thought id share my experiences on the subject

"Now none of the frightened soldiers moved, for they saw that cowardice and valor purchased equal plots in the snipers' killing field"
Aggieangler93
AG
Let's dust this one off for an update. What is the best CC gun with what is out there currently in 2020?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Marauder Blue 6
AG
This thread happens monthly if not more often. Just do a forum search and use "pistol" or "handgun" as the search term.

https://texags.com/search?q=&DateRange=365
zachsccr
AG
1. The one you have and will actually carry.
1b. And regularly practice using.

Or a Glock.
Aggieangler93
AG
I see one or two new ones pop up, thought I would resurrect the one in the FAQ, so we can keep using it.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
UTExan
Aggieangler93 said:

Let's dust this one off for an update. What is the best CC gun with what is out there currently in 2020?

My SP101. Just like nine years ago.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Glock 19

Add an RMR

Appendix carry
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.