Outdoors
Sponsored by

New handgun purchase

3,460 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by McInnis 03
khkman22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking at purchasing my first handgun, possibly, for the "just in case" scenario at home. I don't plan to carry, just take in the car on longer road trips. So, I was wondering what the best option for me would be. I wanted to keep it under $500, but after looking at some Glocks, I may stretch it to $600, although I'd prefer not to.

So, how do S&W and Ruger compare to Glocks? What would you go with? Even if Sigs, HKs and Kimbers are better, they are out of my price range and out of consideration. Also, what 9mm models in each brand would suit me best?

Looking at 9mm because I thought I have read on here that that is the easiest ammo to find, which brings me to my next question. How easy is it to just walk into a store and buy some type of 9mm ammo? I would like to stock up as much as possible just to have some if there are any issues with finding it.
fido98
Check out this sight. CPO Sig P229 for $545

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Sig_226_CPO.html
PTXaggie08
AG
9mm is cheaper than 40 or 45, but I have found it to be more difficult to find. To find any of those calibers, you will need to be a Walmart and an Academy every day.

I would look at the Springfield XD, Smith and Wesson M&P, and the Glock.

I have an FN 9mm that I absolutely love, but it all depends on what you like when you hold/shoot it.
NRH ag 10
AG
9mm is actually really difficult to find right now. There are a ridiculous amount of reliable handguns in and around your price range, so I suggest you do some research and visit some gunstores to determine what you prefer to narrow it down. For starters look into: Glock 17, Glock 19, SA XD 9, S&W m&P9, S&W 39 series, FNH FNP-9, CZ 75b, CZ P01, Beratta 92, Beretta PX4, IMI Baby Eagle. I'm sure there are others I'm missing, but that should be a good start.

Forgot to add, S&W has a rebate going for the M&P series right now where you can get 2 free mags with proof of purchase. 2 M&P mags go for about $66 online.

[This message has been edited by NRH ag 10 (edited 4/16/2009 10:28p).]
Comeby!
AG
I have a Glock 26 (9mm subcompact) and I love it. I want to 'upgrade' to the .40 or .45 cal sub.
Caladan
quote:
So, how do S&W and Ruger compare to Glocks?

S&W M&P line compares favorably, the Ruger less so.

quote:
What would you go with?

I would go with either a Glock, Walther P99, S&W M&P9, FNP9, H&K P2000, CZ 85B, or Sig 229. The amount of money I had to spend and ease of actually finding one in stock somewhere would drive the actual purchase decision.

quote:
Also, what 9mm models in each brand would suit me best?

NRH put up a very good list, and I would add the Walther P99 and the CPO Sigs already mentioned.

quote:
How easy is it to just walk into a store and buy some type of 9mm ammo?

Not greatly easy, but can be done. Unfortunately, ammo as a whole is very hard to get, but there are many internet sites that you can order from.

[This message has been edited by Caladan (edited 4/16/2009 10:40p).]
bam02
AG
Sounds like you should consider a medium frame revolver like a S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 in .357 Magnum. I think it is perfect for home defense/occasional vehicle gun. You can shoot .38s out of it which are cheaper and have much less recoil for practice. A quality revolver is generally about as failsafe as a handgun can be. I have a GP100 with a 4" barrel. The recoil is very minimal with .357s and almost non-existent with .38s.
gibberish
AG
Sig p250 is just under $600.

or the Sig 229 as mentioned above. Both are excellent guns.

[This message has been edited by gibberish (edited 4/17/2009 8:22a).]
SuperAg05
AG
If you want a Sig that is affordable, you could go with the Sig Pro 2022. It's a 9mm, polymer sig, similar in form to the p229.

Price was right around $500 at Academy last time I saw it.

[This message has been edited by SuperAg05 (edited 4/17/2009 8:32a).]
Ham Slice MRE
AG
Go to Champions, or a place like it, and rent a few until you find something that you are comfortable with and enjoy shooting.
Mall Ninja
AG
Springfield xd subcompact
Old Sarge
AG
If this is a "just in case" type gun for home defense and no real intent for CHL carry, and you are not experienced with semi-autos, you might really want to consider a revolver.

It is easier for females to use (if you are not around), less complicated (less to go wrong), and much easier to maintain.

And if you were to go the .357 Mag route, you can shoot .38's for practice (cheap), and have your defense round of say .357 Mag Hydroshock, that will take an intruder out of commission with a normally less than leathal hit.

That being said, I do have a Ruger GP100 with a six in barrel for just that purpose. However even though I intend to get a CHL, I do not wear enough clothes (jackets, etc) that make actual carrying realistic. So I am looking at the PX4 Storm in the .40 cal for a tag along in the truck.
khkman22
AG
I'll probably look at the some of the ones mentioned above and get a feel for which ones I like best and then maybe shoot a couple to see if I have a preference. When you rent at Champion, is that just for the short time you are on their firing range? For $5 I would assume so.

If I am driving in Texas and want to carry the gun in the car without a CHL, how do I do that legally? I would go take the CHL class first, but since I've never shot a handgun, I'd like to get familiar with one before I actually take the shooting test.

EDIT: And what makes the S&W Sigma series so much cheaper? $355 vs $500 for the M&P 9mm.

[This message has been edited by khkman22 (edited 4/18/2009 10:19p).]
Diet Cokehead
AG
No offense, but you really need to go shoot with somebody that is experienced. You are a decent ways aways from carrying a weapon in your vehicle.

Just get some experience and try lots of different guns to decide what you want.
khkman22
AG
quote:
No offense, but you really need to go shoot with somebody that is experienced. You are a decent ways aways from carrying a weapon in your vehicle.

I'm not looking to "carry" right now in the car, was just asking for the times I want to go practice on personal property before taking the class. Just wanting to make sure what I need to do so I'm not illegal with it in the car in that type of situation.

Also, I've shot rifles and shotguns many times before, so I'm not completely oblivious to gun safety or operation. But I won't disagree that I need practice with a handgun to get comfortable with it.
McInnis 03
AG
khk,

I just recently bought the M&P 9mm, I'm so satisfied with that purchase! I put 150 rounds through it last weekend with no jam and it was a great gun for me. I'd pass on the sigma, it's a lower quality gun vs. the M&P and if I needed to depend on one to shoot at one specific time, I'd put in the extra $150.

I got mine at Academy for $499 which is a very fair price, and S&W was offering a 2 free magazine rebate at the time (think it's still going on). So that means S&W M&P 9mm with four 17 round mags for $499.

Just my humble opinion. I don't think you'll be dissatisfied with such a purchase though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.