Outdoors
Sponsored by

Would you buy your college age son a brand new ski boat?

3,620 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by highvelocity
rhoswen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I only started hanging out at Lake Bryan last year, but I think that's kind of the example I'm trying to make. Seems like the owners of the Hook (or Lakeside Bar & Grill now) upped the advertising to get people out there, and with all the concerts they have, started drawing out a different demographic to Lake Bryan. Hell even last year it was less college kids and more young families playing horseshoes.
mneisch
AG
And I was so excited in January when I bought a 14ft with an 18hp. I think its funny going out to the lake and seeing all the other college kids with their fancy boats. I do enjoy my buddies 19ft Skeeter, but I see a big difference between a nice bass boat and a wakeboarding boat.

I really dont see the appeal of a ski boat, when I get the money, my next boat is gonna be a 16-18ft CC bay boat.
Aggiewes
AG
Took the 8 year old runabout to school my last semester (Fall '87). Enjoyed Tuesday/Thurs afternoons at the lake. Boat was worth about $2K at the time. Would I let my kid take the same boat to school their last semester? Yes! $50K boat - NO WAY.
aggielostinETX
AG
We used to to take my buddies MC out there all the time after it opened. Such is life. Wonder what the poor people are doing?
Vero143
When I was in college not too long ago, I had a 16 foot jon boat with a 1980s model 15hp Johnson with a Minn Kota trolling motor southern engineered on the front. I bought that with my summer intern money my second summer of college. Boy that was fun times catching fish.
HECUBUS
AG
My $0.02 is that a good two year old boat is the cheapest to own. I started going to Lake Travis in the 70's when a friend's dad got a lot in the retirement community of Lakeway. It came with a slip and us crazy teenagers were out on the lake often as possible. I tried to get my dad to by an acre lakefront lot and he laughed for ten minutes. What the heck would he want with an acre of lakefront on Lake Travis for $18k. You might want to price land around this lake you are speaking of...
HECUBUS
AG
Ok, it's a power plant cooler. Nevermind.
agwrangler2001
AG
quote:
I just wish someone would teach them how to respect other boaters on the lake. Leave the fisherman alone, don’t follow a boat pulling a skier on a jet ski, and don’t fool around on the slip. Get your boat on the trailer and get out of the way, you can pull the plug, get the trash out and put the straps on in the parking lot.

+1

Sometimes I keep a big rattletrap tied on just in case some of them get a bit too close-and they do-but usually only once.
MouthBQ98
AG
Try being a kayaker, too. As many times as I've been nearly offed by drunk jerks in a boat when I'm in my CC skiff, it's even more exciting when you are in a kayak.

I wonder if they realize they are 100% legally responsible for what their boat wake does.
ccard257
AG
quote:
I wonder if they realize they are 100% legally responsible for what their boat wake does.

Wow, I certainly had no idea. Is this true of all boats everywhere? I just cant imagine that the captain/pilot/owner of a large boat would be responsible for what their wake did to lets say a canoe in the intercoastal for example.
TRIDENT
AG
It is true. If the big boats wake smashes up a canoe, the big boat would have to pay up.
confucius_ag
AG
quote:
when I'm in my CC skiff

Concealed Carry Skiff?????????????

MouthBQ98
AG
Your big boat may have the same right to be on the water as anyone else's, but you have NO inherent right to operate at a speed that makes your wake dangerous for other craft present that also have the right to be there. If you have to slow to a no-wake speed for the safety of other craft in the area, so be it.

Also, most powerboaters don't realize that it is usually better to stay on a fast plane than to slow down to a slow plane or fast hull speed when passing a small craft...the fast plane makes a smaller, less steep wake. If you slow down to a fast hull speed, but are plowing up a huge wake, you're making it worse! If you slow, slow to the point you are not making a large wake....that is out the window with wakeboats...

Oh, Center Console Skiff...

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 4/30/2008 3:09p).]
MouthBQ98
AG
Also, if you bought your kid a $50K boat or car, or whatever, you SERIOUSLY need to read "The Millionaire Nextdoor".

Let the kid earn and buy his own boat. You will be doing him a favor in the long run, and he'll appreciate the one he buys himself FAR more than one you bought for him. Boats and cars don't get you "action"...YOU get you "action"...the money flashing is a crutch...
7yrplan
AG
my old man is a big fisherman. he has always had a bass boat, that we would go out on as a family. the thing that pisses him off more than anything is the jet skies, and how they always would follow him around. one time he was out with his buddy,(on his buddies boat, so i was not there) and this guy kept getting too close on his jet ski. it pissed the said buddy off so much he grabbed the biggest plug he had, and tossed it out there. caught the guy in the arm. that pretty much ended that.
ccard257
AG
quote:
Your big boat may have the same right to be on the water as anyone else's, but you have NO inherent right to operate at a speed that makes your wake dangerous for other craft present that also have the right to be there. If you have to slow to a no-wake speed for the safety of other craft in the area, so be it.

I think i'm thinking more along the lines of comercial boats rather than wakeboats, I am in complete agreement with you on their need to slow down.

When I was in highschool my dad and I used to fish the Red River near Shreveport in a two seater, stick stearing-type bass boat. Ocasionally we would have to run behind a jetty or something to avoid the wake of a tug or barge. Would they be responsible for damage to our boat if there had been any? Or are they under a different set of regulations since they are commerce?
Nagler
AG
I know someone that got a full ride so his parents bought him a new truck, maybe instead of a truck the people on the lake asked for a boat, or they're spoiled.

______________________________________________________________________________________
I came here to do two things..drink beer and kick some ass..looks like we're almost out of beer.
MouthBQ98
AG
They are still legally liable, unless under the navigational direction of some sort of government regulation or local navigation requirement or officer or harbor pilot or whatever...

They know they are liable, they just don't care because they are betting it won't be enforced.

In shipping lanes or channels, the rules might be a little different...maybe.
MouthBQ98
AG
Both my brothers had a full ride... My parent's gave them the family beater...or bought them a functional used truck/car.
law80
AG
I have to 2 buddies that still live in College Station and both of them have ski boats. One had a full academic scholarship and already had a nice truck so his parents bought him a boat. The other use to work at Bossier Dodge and since his house was paid for he figured that he could afford one and is still paying.
ccard257
AG
Wow, thanks for the info. I always thought it was a dick move but didn't know there was legal liability associated with it. I'm glad you brought that up.
MouthBQ98
AG
Must be nice to have loaded parents and be an only child...my parents had to put 4 kids through A&M on one income...so we didn't have a boat at all...oh well.

I don't care if people have a nice boat. I'm just amazed that parents indulge their adult children with such costly gifts..I guess if they didn't use that college savings account for tuition....I don't know, if it was me, that I'd have dropped it into a boat..

You almost CAN'T find a more negative return on investment than a boat. They drop in value like a block of lead, they require a lot of fuel and maintenance dollars, and registration fees and storage costs, etc. I love my boats, but jeez...talk about a way to piss away money...a big expensive boat is hard to top. Oh well, happy motoring...just keep that wake away from me!

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 4/30/2008 4:01p).]
Maverick2603
My friends and I are out on Lake Bryan two to three times a week wakeboarding on his boat. It is not one of the nicest boats out there but it gets the job done and we have a blast on it. His parents didn't buy him the boat, he works for it and makes the payments. I'm just saying, not everyone out there that is young and has nice things is getting it handed it to them.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Depends, most of the nice boats usually have some good tail on them. Will my son share?

"It takes a big man to admit he's wrong. I am not a big man."
RCR06
AG
i see these boats around cs all the time and it amazes me. my parents bought me a nice used vehicle, but to bring up a boat would have been ridiculous. its hard to tell also if these boats are at students houses or just people in the community. i know a guy who had his own ski boat. if i remember correctly his parents had gotten a divorce and his dad bought it for him. i also had a friend who used to borrow his dad's in March and keep it here till sometime in June then he'd bring it home and his dad would use it. so if you went by his house late spring and early summer you'd think he owned a $20,000 boat. many of these people probably are rich kids with expensive toys, but its not necessarily the case.
AggieChemist
AG
I went back 2000 pages. Picked a random thread. Look over the posters here that you recognize/remember. When's the last time you heard from most of these folks?
Alta
AG
No - but would I let my college age son use a boat that I bought - absolutely. Why is everybody assuming that the parent bought the boat specifically for the kid?
CaptnCarl
AG
This thread wreaks of jealousy.

If the kid make good grades, takes good care of the boat, and financially they can afford to give/lend their kid a boat, what's the problem? I bet the parents are happy to hear their kids are enjoying college.

News flash: boats are a blast and you're jealous.
normaleagle05
AG
Honestly not sure. People change their username, get banned and come back and expect everyone knows them from Adam, I'm not good with names in the first place.

I think the other responses demonstrate that this isn't going how you intended. Not that I disagree with your overall crusade here. You're more right than you are anything else.

Mostly, how the hell does one go back a select number of pages?
Naveronski
AG
normaleagle05 said:

Honestly not sure. People change their username, get banned and come back and expect everyone knows them from Adam, I'm not good with names in the first place.

I think the other responses demonstrate that this isn't going how you intended. Not that I disagree with your overall crusade here. You're more right than you are anything else.

Mostly, how the hell does one go back a select number of pages?

Go to page 2 on the OB
Now change that to 30
Etc
highvelocity
AG
Had a buddy in college with a nice nautique, he was a sponsored rider though. One day they were out on another dudes nautique with probably 10 or so people, ballast completely full doing donuts in the lake. Did one too many donuts and swamped and sunk that bish
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
normaleagle05
AG
I compute exclusively from mobile except for work. I guess that's a full site feature. Good to know if needed.
CactusThomas
AG
AggieChemist said:

I went back 2000 pages. Picked a random thread. Look over the posters here that you recognize/remember. When's the last time you heard from most of these folks?

But this thread is worse than most recent ones.
highvelocity
AG
Man I was still in high school with this bad boy got posted
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.