What VPN do you use or recommend?

933 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by ErnestEndeavor
traxter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't see VPN in the last 12 months of thread titles, so started a new one.

I have 1 more year of Nord, and have seen some decent deals on it recently. Was debating buying a few more years, vs switching in a year.

Was curious what you use, how it works, like it, and how it compares to Nord, if you have experience with multiple?

The thing that is annoying with Nord is that a lot of websites make me do the human authentication captcha thing. And some websites (though rare) won't work with it - I have to pause it. But I got it on sale at a decent price.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was using Nord and let it lapse. It kept impacting my connection speed. I'm currently just using the built in VPN that comes with Edge. I have no idea how effective it is. Frankly think it's not really VPN, but I haven't cared enough to research it.

Anytime I've ever used a third-party VPN I found it more trouble than it's worth. Constantly having to fiddle with it.
Malachi Constant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brave
merlin403
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Proton
heddleston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nord and Proton are both pretty good as well as several others, but it also depends on what you're using them for.

If youre an all out privacy zealot and want everything you do as covered as posible, use crypto to buy a Mullvad subscription. If youre just wanting to protect yourself locally or stream stuff from a different geo location, Nord/Proton are fine as are others like Windscribe etc.
ErnestEndeavor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For anyone who is looking into using a free VPN: If something is free, your data is the product.
boy09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've used NordVPN for 3 or 4 years now, no complaints. Never had the need to try any others, but if you do some searching on the tech review sites, it seems like the top 3 are pretty much always Nord, Proton and Surfshark, in rotating order.

A tip for when Nord is about to auto-renew. First of all, turn off auto-renew. When it comes time to renew (they will try to renew you at full price), If you start to cancel your subscription, they will immediately offer you a discounted renewal rate. I want to say the discount i got was something like $90 for 2 years + 2 free months ($3.50ish/mo), vs. their normal pricing which is $140/year.

Basically what i'm saying is, don't ever pay full price for Nord.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep. And I would say this model now applies to almost every sub we have regardless of what it is. I have nothing on auto renew and cancel everything until I get a better deal. Never pay full price for a sub. Streaming is less sensitive to this but they are also month to month so I turn them off if not watching.
Waltrip88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mullvad vpn
Drundel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My "screw the government for being able to see what I do" co-worker likes Proton. I use PIA but will most likely be switching to Proton when my contract is up.

No complaints with PIA, but I know when to listen to people when they do lots of research on subjects.
JTA1029
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I use Nord and have no complaints. I do turn it off if online gaming.
akaggie05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To OP or anyone else asking about public VPN services, what is the objective you're trying to accomplish?
cstat07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tailscale so chat and Claude can work across various devices at all times
Col. Steve Austin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been switching between IPVanish and SurfShark. I make the switch every 2 years when it's time for renewal so I don't get hit with a big increase. I've been happy with both. We run them on our phones, (Samsung) iPads, PC and Onn streaming boxes. If you don't renew SurfShark, they will try to get you back with lower and lower "come back to us" offers.

This site always has discounts available. Currently with SurfShark at 85% off. Troypoint.com

He also has setup/configuration tutorials with recommended settings.
javajaws
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
akaggie05 said:

To OP or anyone else asking about public VPN services, what is the objective you're trying to accomplish?

I doubt anyone here is going to honestly answer that for you lol
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
akaggie05 said:

To OP or anyone else asking about public VPN services, what is the objective you're trying to accomplish?

One thing that I use a VPN for is to restrict access to my ssh servers.

If you leave them open to the world, they get hit hard. Several years ago, I used to see up to 1.3 million hits per server per month. At that time, I bounced anything that was not from the US and that worked fine for a while.

Later, I made the servers IPv6 only. We didn't get hit very much, but we couldn't always get an IPv6 address to connect.

Currently, access to the ssh service is whitelisted. It is only available from local IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and from selected IPv4 and IPv6 endpoints on the VPN service that we use.

Since doing that, we haven't even seen one attempt to log on from an unauthorized source. Not one.

I wasn't worried about people guessing passwords. We already limited ssh access to using ssh keys only. Actually, three different ssh keys to connect -- "AutheniticationMethods publickey,publickey,publickey" in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config" file.

Furthermore, only one obscure account on each computer even has a password and that account is used only for the purpose of logging in from the console.

With s/key, we can log directly into any user account from the console. If you aren't familiar with s/key, it uses six individual, short passwords . Every time you log in with it switches to another set of six individual passwords for the next login. For example, if the current required s/key password is "LIEN BYTE GOER RACK SAID LOT", then the next might be "CLAY JOE LINK RUBE BEAD TUM", and then "CALF BEAT JUDE BETA HACK BURG" the time after that.

In addition to that, we use PerSource penalties if an unathorized person does connect and try to log in. When they fail, it then blocks logins from that address for 14 days and each try thereafter adds 14 more days up to a maximum of 180 days.

Using the VPN whitelist to restrict access accomplishes two things:

1) It helps keep the /var/log/authlog file from filling up. For what it's worth, the authlog file and several other files on our computers are flagged sappend (system append) so that entries may be added to the log, but not deleted. If an attacker should get in and try to hide their attempt by editing the log, the only way they can do this is to log in at the console and drop the system to single user mode to remove the sappend flag. Without restricting it to VPNs, the logs would fill up and we would run out of space.

2) My main concern, though, is the potential that if a zero day exploit should be discovered in the ssh daemon, an attacker might be able to gain access without logging in. While that possibility is limited, it isn't zero. By limiting access to a specific set of endpoints on the VPN, it would be much more difficult for an attacker to take advantage of a zero day exploit of the ssh service. For example, I can require incoming connections to go through that VPN's addresses in Phoenix, Boston, Salt Lake City, or McAllen so that even if you use the VPN to try to connect to my servers, any attempt to connect from any other city on the VPN will fail.

---

We also use a VPN for another purpose. With the VPN, I can test my network from the internet side to make sure it works as expected.

---

By the way, my cell phone is on a VPN with an IP address from Oslo, Norway via Switzerland -- outbound traffic from my cell phone goes to Switzerland and then to Norway, and then to wherever it needs to go. Incoming goes the reverse.

Why? Because I can. It is very rare for me to use my cell phone for the internet except to check my e-mail or my calendar. The impact to me is virtually zero.

---

One common use for a VPN is to get around country restrictions to access streaming channels. For example, if you are a British soccer fan travelling outside the UK, you can still access the soccer games on the BBC network.
ErnestEndeavor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I used to travel for work 10 to 15 days a month on the road in hotels. For me it was to provide a little bit more security connecting to Wi-Fi.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.