iOS 27 Thread

942 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by YouBet
Mat Lanticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll wait for the Siri indexing to complete but highly doubt this will be a needle mover. From reading about what functionality this delivers, I won't be enabling this.

The shared album thing is pretty crappy. Apple doesn't make it known that you cannot invite a non-Apple user to be in a shared album; an Apple account is still required. Non-Apple users can view a shared album if they have a link, but this is purposefully misleading. Meanwhile Google 100% allows non-Google accounts to have direct access to Google Photos shared albums.

It looks like the native frame grabber that saves an image from a video works is a flop. Native frame grabs are blurry. Maybe there is a setting to tune the resolution, but third party apps are still superior.

Already disabled AI "prioritized notifications" LOL.

I don't know what else I am supposed to be aware of but the idea of the yearly huge ios upgrade is very much useless.
Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree, not overly impressed.

Really wanted the volume control to finally be as easy as my Samsung has been for 5 or 6 years. Nope.

Don't do a lot with photos, so don't care about those things.

Haven't used Siri much since, so will have to see if she got smarter. Not holding my breath.
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think I have paid attention to a single thing since like iOS 23. At this point, I am pretty sure I barely know how to operate about 90% of the features of my phone. Or even know they exist.
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My indexing is still ongoing, but so far, I'm liking it. UI navigation feels snappier somehow, the photo tools are definitely cool if not a little unsettling, and finally individual volume controls. Hoping Siri AI is as good as everyone says because regular Siri has basically been turned off on my phone for at least 5 years.
flakrat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was hoping they'd add the ability to manually put the camera into macro mode. Doesn't look like it.

I like to take close ups of insects / spiders and a lot of times, I can't get the camera to auto switch to macro, especially with spiders on a web.

I'm also interested to see how much better the parental controls are vs previous. We had to switch to using Qustodio for this and it's proved to be more of a pain in the butt than it's worth.
Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did notice today that it flagged mistyped words responding to texags posts in Chrome in blue and made it easy to correct them. That's kind of cool.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Eliminatus said:

I don't think I have paid attention to a single thing since like iOS 23. At this point, I am pretty sure I barely know how to operate about 90% of the features of my phone. Or even know they exist.

Ha. Ditto. I find myself more often than not turning off anything new that I happen to run across.
Mat Lanticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

Eliminatus said:

I don't think I have paid attention to a single thing since like iOS 23. At this point, I am pretty sure I barely know how to operate about 90% of the features of my phone. Or even know they exist.

Ha. Ditto. I find myself more often than not turning off anything new that I happen to run across.

Yep. I try to stay on top of new stuff just so I can turn it off and not let iOS suck the battery into obsolescence so I have to upgrade before I am ready. I've seen some workarounds for dumping the Apple Intelligence (taking up 6.75 GB of storage)I have zero intention of using.

If you go into Siri and change the language from US English to another English like UK or Canada and reboot the phone the space eaten up by Apple Intelligence is gone. This is not the same as changing the system language for the whole device.

That may not actually delete the files/config/whatever you call it, bit it shows that more space is available in total device storage. It is also supposed to free up RAM that Apple Intelligence reserves.

It is complete garbage that Apple forces you to have a feature that is totally useless to most users and locks down resources that arguably makes performance worse for general usage.

Before changing language in Siri:



After changing language in Siri:

TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can you delete Siri completely? I don't think I have ever used it.
Mat Lanticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Can you delete Siri completely? I don't think I have ever used it.

No, you can turn everything off so Siri is not used but you cannot delete the service itself as it is baked into iOS. Apple could not build a data profile on you as easy without Siri.

I only use Siri to make calls hands free in the truck. It is a completely worthless bloated service otherwise.

Voice assistants are outdated tech. The value for Apple (and not consumers) is pivoting Siri to be the intake for an agentic experience to outsource menial tasks to AI. I do not believe that to be of any value whatsoever based on the features of Apple Intelligence.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fascinating on that memory hack. I guess the EU has some regs keeping Siri Intelligence out of there considering all their fights they have with Apple.

Using Siri for hands free calls while driving is also the only use case I have for it and it's rare I use that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.