Warehouse Systems

625 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by falconace
adv17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but here goes.

I do systems consulting for small businesses. I have a customer who wants to improve his warehouse operation. Currently he has an employee loading bins with parts by scanning the bin, scanning the part, place the part in the bin. Scan the bin, scan the part, place the part in the bin...

He has tried a 'sandwich' approach where you scan the bin, scan each part as you put it in the bin, then scan the bin again to finish. But when he did, employees were forgetting to scan the bin at the end and scan the new bin.

It sounds like there's maybe some human factors stuff involved but I'm not proposing to train his employees.

The question is whether anyone has some familiarity with an off the shelf system or something you've done in your own career that worked well for a similar operation? I'm imagining some kind of camera or fixed scanner that automatically keeps track of what bin is at the station and the employee only has to worry about scanning and placing parts.
EMY92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is the software they're using something created for them, or is it an off the shelf system. If they have access to the code, it should be a fairly simply edit to drop the second scan of the bin. Close out the first bin when the next bin is scanned. Basically, when you scan a second bin, it acts as if you had previously scanned to first bin to close the pull order.
adv17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Software is actually built in house by the owner's Mom so we do have access. As I think about it I think I agree. A fixed scanner that tracks the active bin and the employee still uses the handheld would be a simple solution.
Koko Chingo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RFID

It's a mature technology and already used in warehouse inventory and shipping.

Even most railcars are RFID equipped and there are thousands of scanners along the railways across the US to track merchandise from container ships through its railway journey right into the warehouse.

Companies also use it to track items coming in and out. Even Texas A&M has recently switched its equipment in inventory system over to RFID.

I don't know how good the one A&M is because the government always gets the lowest bidder.

But you should be able to press a button with a handheld scanner. And take account of everything in the room.

Drundel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We used this company before for a project. They are in Dallas area and pretty good to work with.

Marshall Ellis
Lead Developer
972-489-2043
mellis@datacollectioncenter.com


Technical Support
Email: support@datacollectioncenter.com
Phone: 940-206-1721

Ask us about our RFID Inventory System!
Never be scared of your Tool Rooms again!

Accounting Questions
accounting@datacollectioncenter.com
falconace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
adv17 said:

Software is actually built in house by the owner's Mom so we do have access. As I think about it I think I agree. A fixed scanner that tracks the active bin and the employee still uses the handheld would be a simple solution.


He was saying it is even simpler. You scan bin 1, scan all of your parts then push it down the line. New bin shows up. Scan it. The software closes bin 1 and opens bin 2. Now all scans go into bin 2 until you scan bin 3.

For rfid, depends on the parts and their size/value. However this seems like something you could easily make a small tweak as suggested above and retain and be good with.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.