Looking for a working TI-99/4A

1,270 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Fife
92Ag95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have one packed away they would part with?
Tailgate88
AG
You should have hit me up in 1983. I can still feel that sweet smooth keyboard and the power of all 16k of RAM.
92Ag95
AG
Tailgate88 said:

You should have hit me up in 1983. I can still feel that sweet smooth keyboard and the power of all 16k of RAM.
Don't forget that blazing fast 300 baud acoustic coupler modem.
Bonfire97
AG
TI is a great company, but really hosed the personal PC market entry. They could have owned it all.
92Ag95
AG
Commodore, still bitter about being ousted by TI from the personal calculator market, came back with a vengeance and sunk their battleship.....the flagship C64 was the nail in the coffin.
HECUBUS
AG
Yikes! My first job in semiconductors was working for TI when they were making the 99-4A. I thought it cost $2k to expand the memory to 16k. My inspiration to go EE. Decent money and easy (for a math/science nerd) degree.

Texas Instruments
Quazon Corp
Institute of Solid State Electronics TEES
Motorola Inc
Trimedia Technologies Inc
Freescale Semiconductors
Intel
AMD

A long strange 42 year trip it has been. I would never have imagined anyone would want a 99-4A 40 years into the future. Must really like TI Invaders.
92Ag95
AG
HECUBUS said:

Yikes! My first job in semiconductors was working for TI when they were making the 99-4A. I thought it cost $2k to expand the memory to 16k. My inspiration to go EE. Decent money and easy (for a math/science nerd) degree.

Texas Instruments
Quazon Corp
Institute of Solid State Electronics TEES
Motorola Inc
Trimedia Technologies Inc
Freescale Semiconductors
Intel
AMD

A long strange 42 year trip it has been. I would never have imagined anyone would want a 99-4A 40 years into the future. Must really like TI Invaders.
Nostalgia...had one as a kid..played some games, did some programming, prank called people with the speech synthesizer and modem.
satexas
AG
This is all one needs.. .Tunnels Of Doom - Remake!

http://www.dreamcodex.com/todr.php
Burdizzo
AG
92Ag95 said:

Commodore, still bitter about being ousted by TI from the personal calculator market, came back with a vengeance and sunk their battleship.....the flagship C64 was the nail in the coffin.

We had a C64. I don't recall the details, but it died early on. My dad replaced it with the Commodore Plus/4 which he thought was going to be an upgrade because it had some pre installed business apps. I think there was a basic word processor, spreadsheet, and maybe even a rudimentary database. As is so often the situation, the disk drive we used with the C64 was not compatible with the Plus/4, and my dad didn't want to spend another $400 (a lot of money in 1984) on another floppy disk drive. So we had no way to save any of the stuff we did. Consequently the Plus/4 went unused, and then a year later I went off to A&M.

The Plus/4 was so anemic that one reviewer said is should have been called the "C64 Minus 60"

My mom cleaned out some stuff a few years ago and gave me the box that had all the Commodore stuff in it. I think it is still in my garage. It may even still have the Montgomery Ward pricetag on it.

Free to a computer collector if anyone wants it.
92Ag95
AG
Burdizzo said:

92Ag95 said:

We had a C64. I don't recall the details, but it died early on. My dad replaced it with the Commodore Plus/4 which he thought was going to be an upgrade because it had some pre installed business apps. I think there was a basic word processor, spreadsheet, and maybe even a rudimentary database. As is so often the situation, the disk drive we used with the C64 was not compatible with the Plus/4, and my dad didn't want to spend another $400 (a lot of money in 1984) on another floppy disk drive. So we had no way to save any of the stuff we did. Consequently the Plus/4 went unused, and then a year later I went off to A&M.

The Plus/4 was so anemic that one reviewer said is should have been called the "C64 Minus 60"

My mom cleaned out some stuff a few years ago and gave me the box that had all the Commodore stuff in it. I think it is still in my garage. It may even still have the Montgomery Ward pricetag on it.

Free to a computer collector if anyone wants it.
I'll take it in exchange for your favorite libation. Did he pitch the C64 or is it still with everything?
The Fife
92Ag95 said:

There's an extra one over here. Would need to test it out to make sure it still works though. How urgently are you talking?

I say extra because my kids actually like using the one that's already plugged in with a bunch of educational carts left over from when my mom was a teacher. She was the only one who used any of it when she retired, so she ended up with everything.
92Ag95
AG
The Fife said:

92Ag95 said:

There's an extra one over here. Would need to test it out to make sure it still works though. How urgently are you talking?

I say extra because my kids actually like using the one that's already plugged in with a bunch of educational carts left over from when my mom was a teacher. She was the only one who used any of it when she retired, so she ended up with everything.
Not urgent.....not concerned with testing and/or repair...I can do that.
The Fife
Ok cool, I should be back home from a work trip Thursday evening and can go check things out then. Mom had 3 that were still in the original box I'm pretty sure
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.