Reminder: You don't "own" digital content

3,504 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by CapCity12thMan
AtticusMatlock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sure some of you have heard the news over the last few days. Redbox is going bankrupt.

What people may not know about Redbox is that apart from just physical kiosks they also had an extensive online store where people could purchase digital versions of their favorite content to stream on demand.

As of today they no longer have access to any of the digital items they have purchased.

chilidogfood
AG
...and they wonder why pirates exist.
nai06
AG
The death of Redbox is pretty wild in terms of how bad they were managed. When they were bought out by Chicken Soup for the Soul, the new CEO just started to drain them of all funds. They weren't paying employees' health insurance premiums despite still deducting it from their paychecks, just about all of the company vehicles are in danger of repossession, and they started to miss payroll for like 2 months in a row.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
And that's why I use Movies Anywhere. At least it's got some buffer if one goes under
Eliminatus
AG
I just had a soapbox 20 minute rant session with my sister about this very thing last night. Of which she did not care a fig about.

It's disgusting how much of our life we rent or "lease" these days and that trend is only growing like a snowball going downhill.

"You will own nothing, and you will like it!"

I can't even laugh at that meme anymore. This is one of the areas of life that genuinely depresses me to think about.
Dr. Horrible
This is exactly why I'm a huge proponent of physical media. Drives me crazier that everyone else makes me out to be the crazy one.
Fenrir
If it's one and done show, movie, game, etc I'm good with digital renting or purchasing. If it's ever something I think I'll want to come back to in the future I stay with physical.
kyledr04
AG
I didn't know they were dying but it makes sense with so few DVD and Blu-ray players around. I touched the screen on one of their machines st the grocery store this week just to browse and it didn't even work.
YouBet
AG
Fenrir said:

If it's one and done show, movie, game, etc I'm good with digital renting or purchasing. If it's ever something I think I'll want to come back to in the future I stay with physical.

This.

Not so much with movies but I committed to buying certain books in physical format a few years ago to mitigate a digital delete driven by bankruptcy and/or political censorship.
C@LAg
thank God for torrents.

When they take away your digital content, you still have a way to get it.

And if you have legitimately purchased it before and they removed your access to it, you should have no guilt whatsoever obtaining a torrented version.
agracer
AG
Eliminatus said:

I just had a soapbox 20 minute rant session with my sister about this very thing last night. Of which she did not care a fig about.

It's disgusting how much of our life we rent or "lease" these days and that trend is only growing like a snowball going downhill.

"You will own nothing, and you will like it!"

I can't even laugh at that meme anymore. This is one of the areas of life that genuinely depresses me to think about.
You can pay off your house but the gov. can come take it if you don't pay your property taxes or HOA fees.
nai06
AG
The Chicken Soup for the Soul/Redbox story is pretty wild

https://deadline.com/2024/06/redbox-owner-chicken-soup-for-the-soul-payroll-health-care-delays-1235984010/

https://deadline.com/2024/07/redbox-chicken-soup-for-the-soul-entertainment-bankruptcy-payroll-benefits-1236002049/
wangus12
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

This is exactly why I'm a huge proponent of physical media. Drives me crazier that everyone else makes me out to be the crazy one.
Unless the creator decides to make no physical copies. Looking at you Apple TV. No physical discs for Masters of the Air to complete my Hanks/Spielberg tv trilogy
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/new-california-law-inspired-by-ubisoft-and-sony-requires-retailers-to-warn-consumers-that-the-digital-games-they-buy-can-be-taken-away-at-any-time/
CapCity12thMan
AG
Why do I want to own a movie library
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.