Laptop for Engineering Student

578 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AgDev01
5StarShield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this. My son is starting in the fall and he's been recommended these three options. Any engineering students, parents, or others have any input on why he should choose one over the others?

We'll be buying through 12thman TechnologyI'm sure a version of all 3 of these will suffice, but just thought I'd ask before making a $$$ purchase. Anything really worth spending the extra money for?
TIA - crossposting on Academics board

Here are the minimum requirements posted on the College of Engineering website:
Approved Devices | Texas A&M University Engineering (tamu.edu)

Dell Precision 5690 - 16in monitor [url=https://shop.12thmantechnology.com/dell-precision-5690-16-i7-16gb-512tb-a1000.html][/url]Link to 12th Man Technology
Processor Memory Storage Graphics Price
Intel Ultra 7 16GB 512GB Nvidia RTX A1000 $2709.99
Intel Ultra 7 32GB 1TB Nvidia RTX A2000 $3249.99
Intel Ultra 9 64GB 2TB Nvidia RTX A2000 $4499.99

Dell Precision 7680 - 16in monitor Link to 12th Man Technology
Intel Core I7 16GB 512GB Nvidia RTX A1000 $2709.99
Intel Core I7 16GB 1TB Nvidia RTX A2000 $2949.99
Intel Core I7 32GB 512GB Nvidia RTX A2000 $3044.99
Intel Core I7 32GB 1TB Nvidia RTX A2000 $3090.99

Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio 2 - 14.4 in monitor Link to 12th Man Technology
Intel I7 16GB 512GB Intel Iris Xe $1799.99
Intel I7 32GB 1TB Nvidia RTX 4050 $2639.99
Intel I7 64GB 1TB Nvidia RTX 4060 $3090.99
Intel I7 64GB 2TB Nvidia RTX A2000 $4090.99

Roll the Bones
AG
My son just finished his freshman year and we got him a MS Surface laptop that was on the recommended list from the college of engineering. He loves it. He uses it like a tablet most of the time, writing on the screen with a stylus for note taking, etc. He said he is really glad we went with that style of laptop versus a traditional one.

It has 32GB RAM. We bought it at Costco.
5StarShield
AG
Thanks for the reply. That is the 3rd item on the list and I've updated my OP to add the detail.

That is the way we're leaning but wife also bought an iPad w/ Pen on prime day in anticipation of notetaking. If he doesn't end up using I could always use an updated iPad.

We're leaning through buying from 12th man as we've heard they can be clutch if he has any technical issues/damage as they'll provide a loaner until yours if fixed or replaced.

Maximus_Meridius
AG
I graduated 15 years ago, so this might not be worth much, but I would suggest possibly looking at eBay for used Dell Precision 75XX laptops if you're at all decent with computers. I used a 7540 at my previous jobs and could run steady state CFD runs on a multi-stage centrifugal pump, which is probably far and away more intensive than anything I did in school. You'd be looking at less than 700 bucks all in.

Unless things have changed a lot, there are computer labs that will have the more advanced/intensive software installed. Honestly I think I would rather the Surface (or iPad with Pencil Pro) as most of what I did with my laptop was email, Word/Excel, and note taking (OneNote or Obsidian).

But I would listen to more recent graduates over my old butt, just in case things really have changed that much.
2012Ag
AG
I'm an electrical engineer and an old ag (co 2012), but if I were to choose today then I'd get the surface.

-GPU for cad work
-Small enough for ease of use when out (personal preference for smaller screens)
-Ability to draw and add to notes

Then for his desk at the dorm, get him a cheap monitor for more screen space. Thats what I did in school and what I do currently for work/home office.
AgDev01
AG
definitely shop around. Buying directly from microsoft will either get you better specs in the case of the one with the 4060 or a lower but still very robust configuration with the A2000 card for significantly cheaper. Im sure you can fine even better deals elsewhere.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/configure/Surface-Laptop-Studio-2/8rqr54krf1dz?crosssellid=&selectedColor=
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.