CrowdStrike BSOD

2,377 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Average Joe
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else in IT awake tonight thanks to CrowdStrike BSOD meltdown? My company is in chaos. I see flights being grounded on CNN front page article, but they're not pointing at CS yet.

HouAg9406
Yeah, started with reports of the call center being down and escalated quickly from there.

C@LAg
the Aussies pointed to them quite early.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-07-19/global-it-outage-crowdstrike-microsoft-banks-airlines-australia/104119960
C@LAg
hey fam. i got your back:

SJEAg
AG
Yeah but safe mode/hands-on-keyboard fixes are no bueno in an enterprise with thousands of remote physical machines.
C@LAg
SJEAg said:

Yeah but safe mode/hands-on-keyboard fixes are no bueno in an enterprise with thousands of remote physical machines.
yeah, that's not my problem anymore.

the horror stories being posted by IT guys right now are amazing. the initial time to fix and effort required for mid and large shops....

Tailgate88
AG
Well here's the culprit. Boot to safe mode and rename that file is the published fix.

EMY92
AG
Looks like my company is unaffected, at least the major systems.
Lathspell
AG
Time for SentinelOne?
TexAg1987
Is this a Microsoft pushed update?

Or do you have to have some connection to crowdstrike?
Tailgate88
AG
TexAg1987 said:

Is this a Microsoft pushed update?

Or do you have to have some connection to crowdstrike?
Not Microsoft. Only will affect you if you have the Crowdstrike Faclcon sensor installed. Unfortunately millions of people do...
HouAg9406
We had a tech from CrowdStrike on a call with us and that was the fix they gave us, too.

Boot into safe mode
Navigate to %WINDIR%\System32\drivers\CrowdStrike\
Delete the file matching C-00000291.sys
Reboot
sixiron
AG
Lathspell said:

Time for SentinelOne?

We POC'd Crowdstrike several years ago but decided to go with SentinelOne. I recommend them.
AustinAg2K
We use Sentinel One, so we aren't affected by this issue, but we've had tons of issues with it over the years, too. Mostly performance related, and nothing to this extent, but there isn't a perfect solution.
Average Joe
AG
Bitlocker + Crowdstrike = nightmare

We had Crowdstrike implementation in our next budget. Guess we're sticking with Trellix a little longer.
SJEAg
AG
We went to CrowdStrike from Trellix (the former FireEye product, not the former McAfee). That solution really sucked though in regards to actual protection and resource use, became very evident once we rolled CrowdStrike out.

But yeah....bitlocker - nightmare.

Various custom supplied hardware with no safe-boot options - bigger nightmare.

Trying to troubleshoot it remotely over the phone with personnel with no IT experience - just shoot me.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Probably won't happen, but I'd like to know what exactly they did to bork things up this badly. Luckily not my silo, so I just get to sit back and watch the train wreck. Hardest part is not being able to script the fix. Manually doing a web console for VMs takes about 5-10 minutes per server to fix depending on reload/boot times. A few thousand servers can take a while.
Average Joe
AG
Hopefully this helps one of y'all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/1e708o0/fix_the_crowdstrike_boot_loopbsod_automatically/
Tailgate88
AG
Average Joe said:

We had Crowdstrike implementation in our next budget. Guess we're sticking with Trellix a little longer.

Yeah I've run into that on three machines so far. Not a showstopper you just have to log into the Microsoft site to get the recovery key. But it's time-consuming.
Average Joe
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Average Joe said:

Yeah I've run into that on three machines so far. Not a showstopper you just have to log into the Microsoft site to get the recovery key. But it's time-consuming.

The killer will be if you run bitlocker on-prem, and save your keys on your domain controller. Which is also protected by bitlocker and Crowdstrike.
Lathspell
AG
sixiron said:

Lathspell said:

Time for SentinelOne?

We POC'd Crowdstrike several years ago but decided to go with SentinelOne. I recommend them.
Good choice! It's a fantastic product.
Caesar4
AG
BQ2001
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Average Joe said:

PIA to walk users through the recovery process over the phone. Some get it real quick, others it's like trying to get them to land on the moon.
merlin403
Caesar4
AG
Wow. I'm in the IT field (networking side) and that was fairly close to gibberish to me. But, I appreciate your post and the link.
Average Joe
AG
https://www.crowdstrike.com/falcon-content-update-remediation-and-guidance-hub/

Crowdstrike has an automated way to deploy a fix, but you have to opt in for it. Once you opt in it takes about an hour, then you just have to reboot any system still affected.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.