Excel Help

618 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Dog Lord
TravelAg2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know there's folks on here that are Excel wizards, so looking for some help.

I have a spreadsheet that has a list of transactions (payment data) that include info like timestamp, user, amount, type (check, CC, web).

I have a request from management to get info on what our volume (both count and $$$) looks like per day of week. Basically, how much money do we take in on Mondays, Tuesdays, etc...

I've created a few "helper" columns to split the timestamp out into date only, time only, day name, and week number.

I've created a pivot table to show totals by day, but can't figure out how to do the average since I want the total transactions on a day, but then the average of all Mondays, Tuesdays, etc...

Probably pretty easy, but I'm drawing a blank.
Gordon McKernan
AVERAGEIFS
SUMIFS
COUNTIFS

Three very easy formulas to write and you can do a ton with them.

I use these formulas a lot in place of pivot tables. I do a lot of adhoc analysis/reporting for c-suite/board executives, and I am never sending those guys a capture of a pivot table. I'll create my own, nicely formatted table, and just write a few quick formulas to summarize the data.

Of course, you can incorporate IF with AND/OR as well.

Hope this helps.

Lathspell
AG
I know I always post this, but I generally believe people are not utilizing it as much as they should (not being an ass on purpose): have you tried ChatGPT?

You can 100% use the formulas above, but Chat GPT does a great job of spelling out each step based on the data you give it and where it all is. It will also create the formulas for you, if you give it all the correct column and row data.
The Dog Lord
AG
If you have the pivot table already, try dragging the sales item to the values area again. You could then leave one as the sum of sales and change the other to average.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.