What AirPods should I get?

2,358 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by fig96
caleblyn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My present beats over-ear buds have broken and I need some new pods. With Prime Day upon us, it is a good time.

I am thinking AirPods 3rd gen - $139

-or-

AirPods Pro 2nd gen $200

What do you think?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I've had both and like both.

But the nano-second I lose one or they break, I'll have another set of Pros in my shopping cart.

Pros.
The Dog Lord
AG
Seems like most base their decision on which fit their ears better. The regular pods get my ears if work too long, but the pros are great for me. Others feel the opposite.
caleblyn
Some other things to consider.

I run some and will wear them while running.
All other times will be dry. No swimming.

I wore my son's pros while mowing and they stayed in with ease the entire time, while sweating.

I like the pros but mainly checking to see if $60 more is worth it.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Pros worth the money 100%
Boozer92
AG
I had the 3rd gen airpods. They fell out of my ears all the time. Got the pros and almost never had them fall out. The fit is the biggest difference between them.
Madmarttigan
AG
I have regular and have never ever had an issue with them falling out.

Pros vs regular is wildly dependent on your ears. I don't like things pressed into my ear because they hurt so I never got the pros. Regular stays unfor hours with no pain and can barely feel them.

I think all this depends on the shape of your ear.
Formerly tv1113
Astroag
AG
caleblyn said:

My present beats over-ear buds have broken and I need some new pods. With Prime Day upon us, it is a good time.

-or-

AirPods Pro 2nd gen $200

What do you think?

Beats fit pro

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
caleblyn
FYI

Pro 2 dropped to $189 today. Maybe they will drop to $179 on Tue.
flakrat
AG
caleblyn said:

Some other things to consider.

I run some and will wear them while running.
All other times will be dry. No swimming.

I wore my son's pros while mowing and they stayed in with ease the entire time, while sweating.

I like the pros but mainly checking to see if $60 more is worth it.
I love the noise cancellation with the Pros. Great when I'm mowing (with 3M ear muffs over them). I only need half the volume as I do without the noise cancellation on.

I also use them frequently in our data centers where noise cancellation really helps to drown out the crazy loud ACs and server fans.

Now, a complaint, and maybe I've just had them too long. The microphones on both left and right have degraded over the last year to the point where I can't communicate with anyone using them.

Coworkers say it sounds like I'm talking through a pillow.

I'd recommend getting AppleCare on them as well. It should be pretty cheep for Airpods.
boy09
AG
Pros, with these.
degreedy
AG
I've had them all --- I would go with the Pros.
caleblyn
$169
fig96
AG
Boozer92 said:

I had the 3rd gen airpods. They fell out of my ears all the time. Got the pros and almost never had them fall out. The fit is the biggest difference between them.
Same, the 2nd gen fit me perfect (still use a pair) but they changed the shape of the 3rd gen. Had to return them.

That said, just got a new pair of Pros to replace my old ones and they're awesome.
merlin403
This is the answer!
fig96
AG
boy09 said:

Pros, with these.
Not familiar with these, they make a big difference? Looks like they're on sale with a 25% off coupon on Amazon right now.
StringerBell
AG
boy09 said:

Pros, with these.

Correct answer
boy09
AG
fig96 said:

boy09 said:

Pros, with these.
Not familiar with these, they make a big difference? Looks like they're on sale with a 25% off coupon on Amazon right now.
I just don't like silicone tips at all. Foam has always been way more comfortable to me.
fav13andac1)c
AG
I have the 1st Gen AirPod Pros, and I like them overall. Being able to listen to music relatively peacefully while mowing the lawn is a game changer.

The main issue I have with them is that on calls, the person I'm talking on the phone with can hear everything going on around me, better than they can hear me! Washing dishes, shopping, in the office, crinkling a candy wrapper, zipping a backpack, etc is unbearable to the other person. Background noise has been documented online, but I haven't seen a fix. Does anyone else have this issue?

Edit: jk. Voice Isolation fixed it for me.

StringerBell
AG
the foams are way more comfy and stay in better too. highly recommend.
CoppellAg93
AG
Astroag said:

caleblyn said:

-or-

AirPods Pro 2nd gen $200

What do you think?

Beats fit pro
+ 1
fig96
AG
Thanks y'all, just ordered a set of the Comply's to try.
Philo B 93
What's the deal with mowing and headphones? Does music enhance the landscaping experience that much? Seems like a lot of work if you have a normal size yard.

I've had Pro version 1 for years. Liked em. Just bought 3rd gen regulars because I was bored. Like them too. Pros sound better and cost more. They're both good values for the money. Hard decision.
sanitariex
AG
Takes me 1.5 hours to completely manicure my yard. Podcasts help pass the time
boy09
AG
Philo B 93 said:

What's the deal with mowing and headphones? Does music enhance the landscaping experience that much? Seems like a lot of work if you have a normal size yard.
Yard work is boring. Also ear protection. It's actually not very much work to put headphones in your ears.
Philo B 93
I wore my old AirPod pros yesterday while mowing because of you guys. Great call.
sanitariex
AG
Anyone ever have an AirPod just stop working completely? It still charges, but just will never connect to the phone. It's my left bud, and when syncing each one individually, it shows an older firmware version, but I've been unable to get that one bud to update.
Madmarttigan
AG
Generally I just keep putting both back in the case and resyncing/pairing the whole thing and leave in the case for a minute. . It usually sorts itself out but may take a few tries.
Formerly tv1113
Grindhouse
AG
Philo B 93 said:

I've had Pro version 1 for years. Liked em. Just bought 3rd gen regulars because I was bored. Like them too. Pros sound better and cost more. They're both good values for the money. Hard decision.
have you tried music or podcasts when mowing? Try it and let us know if helps or no
aTm2004
AG
I have a pair of both and the Pros are worth the extra if you can have only 1 pair. The noise cancellation and music sound are amazing. But if you're primarily wanting them to listen to podcasts while in a quiet office environment, the regular AirPods would be the ones I'd go with as you'd really not see the benefit of the pros.
aTm2004
AG
Philo B 93 said:

Listening to music is much better than listening to the mower, weed eater, and blower.
fig96
AG
Gotta say I'm diggin' the Comply tips, thanks for the rec all. Just ordered another set for my Beats Fit Pros that won't stay in my ears for more than 3 minutes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.