PS5 vs Xbox X

2,983 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AgsWin2011
SMG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am thinking about getting one of these to play the new NCAA football game.
Which one is best, PS5 or Xbox X? Pros and cons of each?
Lathspell
AG
The first thing you should always consider is: Do you have friends you want to game with? What do they have? If you have answers to those, that is your answer. The differences between the two are small, and gaming with friends should be your top priority when making that decision.

Outside of that, you look at the exclusives next, imo. Which one has the IP you are most interested in? Google Playstation and Microsoft exclusives and look at the lists.

Those are the biggest points you should consider. Performance between the two are basically the same. I like the PS5 more because I just prefer the GUI of the home screen, I like that the extra SSD is installed inside instead of plugged in a port, and I think the dual sense controller is far superior to the xbox controller.

The best thing xbox has going for it is also GamePass.
wangus12
AG
These days most newer multiplayer games are cross platform so its starting to matter less and less
Lathspell
AG
wangus12 said:

These days most newer multiplayer games are cross platform so its starting to matter less and less
I wouldn't rely on that with your decision right now, though. The triple A titles may support cross platform play, but I would say most games to not. Comes down to which type of games you play.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
But specific to NCAA dynasty mode is not cross play which might matter to them
jr15aggie
AG
Are you a PC gamer that is asking because CF 25 isn't on PC? Or will this be your first gaming console in a while because, well, college football is awesome!?!

Both consoles are essentially the same. It's possible CF 25 will play a little better on one over the other, but you will have to wait until reviews go live (sometimes that is before launch but sometimes they have to wait until after) to find out if there are any differences.
SMG
AG
Yes, first gaming console in a long time. Purchasing to play NCAA football and give that a go.
jr15aggie
AG
Well then, congrats!

The Series S might not be a bad option if you are realistically only playing this game. Will save you $200. If you aren't playing on a really nice 4K TV you might not notice much difference between that and a Series X / PS5. My son has one and plays on a monitor... it looks great and he loves it, but the Series X is what I use on my 65" OLED.

But like I said above, you probably won't get any tech reviews on how the game plays on each console until right at or right after the game launches. There will no doubt be youtubers comparing each version, but sometimes the devs make them wait until after launch before uploading their reviews.
Gman7709
AG
That's awesome. I did the same thing.
Went with the PS5. I think they're pretty much the same.
RingOfive
AG
I got an Xbox Series X for Father's Day for the same reason. I love it. I played Halo in the dorms 20+ years ago when it first released, and now I'm playing it again with my son.

To each their own, but I would spend the extra money and go with the X. The storage on the S just isn't enough even if you only have a handful of games.
EastSideAg2002
ac04
ps5 controllers are much, much better imo. big fan of the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback.
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
PS5 for the W
YouBet
AG
Not sure on timeline or veracity of this but supposedly MS is moving away from the Xbox hardware. Their sales have fallen compared to Sony. This may or may not matter at all on purchasing an Xbox right now as long as SW is still put out.

I say this as an Xbox owner who has never owned a PS but is due for a console upgrade. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
hph6203
AG
They're not moving away from hardware, they're just moving away from it being a closed ecosystem where their software exclusively runs on their hardware.

Meaning PlayStation is likely to get many, if not most, if not all of the software Xbox creates.

At this point if you don't have a very specific reason for buying an Xbox then PlayStation is probably the better buy.
Astroag
AG
YouBet said:

Not sure on timeline or veracity of this but supposedly MS is moving away from the Xbox hardware. Their sales have fallen compared to Sony. This may or may not matter at all on purchasing an Xbox right now as long as SW is still put out.

I say this as an Xbox owner who has never owned a PS but is due for a console upgrade. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

This would be odd considering their massive acquisition of blizzard/activision…

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
YouBet
AG
Astroag said:

YouBet said:

This would be odd considering their massive acquisition of blizzard/activision…
I read that on here somewhere. Could be b.s.
NColoradoAG
Going to tag in on this thread. I need to get a new console for College Football 24. I don't really game much anymore. I will probably only play College Football and Golf games in the future. Sometimes I will boot up the Halo Bundle and play some Reach or other games in Firefight. That's it.

I'm also still rocking a 2010 Panasonic plasma. I keep waiting for it to kick the bucket but it keeps going. Will buy a 65" OLED at some point in the next 12-18 months I'd bet.

That being said, can I get away with the X Box S in 1TB? Looks like I can save $200 going that route.
Lathspell
AG
Unless money is that tight, don't buy the S. It literally plays games at a lower quality.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
A lot of Xbox games are available on PC and playable with an Xbox controller via Bluetooth. I'd go with a PS5.
fig96
AG
I'd also look at other games you might want to play.

I do almost exclusively single player so got a PS5 for Uncharted, Spider-Man, Last of Us, and a few others, but Xbox has games like Halo and Gears of War if those are more up your alley.
Fenrir
BackwardsInBoots said:

A lot of Xbox games are available on PC and playable with an Xbox controller via Bluetooth. I'd go with a PS5.
Sony games are moving that direction as well, albeit in a more delayed manner than xbox games.
YouBet
AG
Yeah, I've played a few Sony games on Steam at this point.
WES2006AG
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Going to tag in on this thread. I need to get a new console for College Football 24. I don't really game much anymore. I will probably only play College Football and Golf games in the future. Sometimes I will boot up the Halo Bundle and play some Reach or other games in Firefight. That's it.

I'm also still rocking a 2010 Panasonic plasma. I keep waiting for it to kick the bucket but it keeps going. Will buy a 65" OLED at some point in the next 12-18 months I'd bet.

That being said, can I get away with the X Box S in 1TB? Looks like I can save $200 going that route.
You are going to want the Series X if you are planning on an OLED TV upgrade.
Tex117
AG
hph6203 said:

They're not moving away from hardware, they're just moving away from it being a closed ecosystem where their software exclusively runs on their hardware.

Meaning PlayStation is likely to get many, if not most, if not all of the software Xbox creates.

At this point if you don't have a very specific reason for buying an Xbox then PlayStation is probably the better buy.
We aren't sure exactly what they are doing, but PlayStation is going to be a better bet right now.

I would get that, and then wait for the Microsoft stuff to move over to PS5. Its just a matter of time.

AgsWin2011
AG
We have both at our house. I've definitely spent more time on Xbox than PS over the years, but I feel like they switch every console release of which one is better.

PS2 > Xbox
Xbox 360 > PS3
Xbox One (toss up) PS4
PS5 > Xbox Series X/S

I like the PS5 controller way more. Xbox Gamepass is hard to deny, but I would give PS5 the nod this generation, especially with their exclusives.
BeaumontAg05
AG
I've been looking for a ps5, but the good bundles are all sold out, and it doesn't seem to go on sale. Would hate to buy it now and then a week later a new bundle comes out.

Anyone know how to track or figure out when that stuff will hit?
AgsWin2011
AG
Maybe check the new Sunday ads in the morning.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.