Desk lighting for home office review

1,197 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by nai06
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not getting a commission or anything, I just really like this lamp lol.

I was in the market for a new lighting set up for my work from home office. I hated ring lights as the ring shape was often noticeable in reflections and didn't give me even lighting. I recently picked up the Illum Desk Lamp from Fluid Stance. $149
https://fluidstance.com/collections/on-desk/products/illum-light

I cannot say enough good things about it. The color temp is adjustable from 2700K to 6000K, you can dim or brighten it, it has 4 or 5 presets including a night light mode, and the desk clamp is a full 3 inches. That was always a problem for me a I have a wide lip on my standing desk that most clamp lights wouldn't fit over. You can also rotate the light bar 360 degrees. It's a little pricey and I looked at some cheaper alternatives on amazon but none of them seemed to have the same level of finish and features as the Illum.

If I could make one minor change, I would be nice to be able to control each of the 3 light bars independently. Its not a huge deal but occasionally the light from window illuminates the right side of my face slightly more. If I could turn off one side or change the brightness to account for that, it would be nice. Again a very minor issue that only applies in a few rare cases.

Claude!
Do you have backlighting on your monitor, or is this intended to do that as well?
nai06
AG
It has the backlight built in, it's one of the feature I really liked. Here's a pic of the back how I have it currently.
nai06
AG
You can also rotate all 3 light bars to face any direction
Hagen95
AG
The amount of dust that would be revealed behind my monitors would be epic with a light like this. Hard pass.
Tom Cardy
AG
How does it handle power loss? For example, my entire office is on smart switches so anything I use needs to power on and retain brightness and color settings when the switch turns on.
nai06
AG
I checked this morning and after power loss it does not maintain the previous settings
Tom Cardy
AG
Appreciate you checking, bummer it doesn't work for my application
Sazerac
AG
Could throw it on a UPS if it's that critical
Sazerac
AG
Nvm I guess you want it to go back to your settings after you turn off power manually. Kinda crazy it doesn't retain settings actually…
nai06
AG
Sazerac said:

Nvm I guess you want it to go back to your settings after you turn off power manually. Kinda crazy it doesn't retain settings actually…

However If I'm using the remote, it retains the settings.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.