Walmart Selling M1 MacBook Air for $699

3,889 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Astroag
AustinAg2K
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sea Speed said:

To me, it is just so simple and clean and sleek and not bloated with tons of bs. Every pc i have ever had just ran like absolute garbage and had tons of bloatware and was always bugging out or lagging or just being a general PITA. Macs haven't been perfect but I do not get annoyed every time I use them like I do with a PC.

That said, I am staunchly anti iPhone, which doesn't really make much sense, I know.

I hate the iPhone OS. I think the phones look nice enough, but I can't stand the OS on the phone. I curse anyone my wife asks me to fix something on her iPhone... However, I have an iPad which I love, even though it's the same OS. How's that for some irony?
BrazosDog02
AG
I just don't understand why two tech giants can stop whacking themselves off and fix something like this. Both sides would gain users.

We all know Windows sucks. It's buggy. It's inefficient. It's the software business runs on. We all know Apple hardware mated with their software is superior in every metric, except that it's only useful for graphic artists and 13 year old girls with tik tok accounts. But surely we could bridge this gap.
Sea Speed
AG
Don't forget they good for dudes who just need to pay their bills, make some spreadsheets and send some emails. Jeeze.
AustinAg2K
BrazosDog02 said:

We all know Windows sucks. It's buggy. It's inefficient.
Is it, though? I've got a 10 year old Desktop that runs fine and never crashes. The only time I have to restart is for security updates. I've had my laptop for years, too (not as long) and it doesn't have problems either. There are usability issues that make a Mac appealing, and Windows certainly doesn't have the seamless ecosystem. There was a time stability and security was a major issue for Windows, but I feel like since Windows 10, it has been pretty stable.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'm just have the angreh.
The Dog Lord
AG
AustinAg2K said:

BrazosDog02 said:

We all know Windows sucks. It's buggy. It's inefficient.
Is it, though? I've got a 10 year old Desktop that runs fine and never crashes. The only time I have to restart is for security updates. I've had my laptop for years, too (not as long) and it doesn't have problems either. There are usability issues that make a Mac appealing, and Windows certainly doesn't have the seamless ecosystem. There was a time stability and security was a major issue for Windows, but I feel like since Windows 10, it has been pretty stable.

Yeah I don't really have any issues with windows either, BUT I also uninstall anything I don't want and disable things I don't always need running or don't want to auto run at startup, etc. for those that don't take time to do things like that, I could maybe see how their experience might not be as good.

I went all in on digital maybe 8 or so years ago, so I've had a long time to get things where I like them. Still learning new things too. Just started using AutoHotKey, and I can tell that's going to be another game changer if I invest the time in it.
UAS Ag
FatZilla said:

evan_aggie said:

I've got 32GB of ram on my gaming pc and it runs like dogcrap until the game is actually booted and has started.

16GB on PC = 8 GB of Ram on MacOS. That's the reality.
Thats a load of bull you read right off the apple marketing slide at their event. It wasn't even added in the right context from the person who actually said it from apple which was no doubt intentional. Its not even close to true and only served to pull the wool over the apple fanboy eyes to get them to buy these garbage 8gb systems. This was also only for the m3 chips, not the older m2 or m1, which this deal is for.

Original quote:
Quote:

Actually, 8GB on an M3 MacBook Pro is probably analogous to 16GB on other systems. We just happen to be able to use it much more efficiently. And so what I would say is I would have people come in and try what they want to do on their systems, and they will I think see incredible performance.

Its absolutely laughable that people are willing to pay that much money for sub-substandard components. 8gb ram is trash on any modern system above a $300 price point. That ram chip is literally a less than a Starbucks coffee at their market purchase point so adding a second 8gb onto the board costs almost nothing. Check the upgrade price for a 16gb from Base model. They want $200 for it. I just bought an entire windows laptop for just over $200 and it had 8gb of integrated ram in it.

Yeah...

But, then you have use Windows. Ewwwww
UAS Ag
BrazosDog02 said:

How do you "game" on these? We don't use them because my kids game but nothing runs on Apple. Even my business computer, which is a MacBook PRO, I had to run boot camp on. Lol.

Is that what people do? Just buy a fancy computer from Apple and then run windows?

Plus, this laptop is now 4 years old. Is this really a good deal?
I have a Mac Studio at home and it does everything that my work Dell laptop does. I transition seamlessly between working at home and in the office. They both run Matlab when I need it. Both have the full Microsoft 365 suite (and because I work for the university, I don't have to pay on my Mac to get it).

I also have an M3 MBA and it works just fine for everything at work too. Got OneDrive installed on all 3 and things work great.

I don't game though...
UAS Ag
aggieforester05 said:

evan_aggie said:

FatZilla said:

Sea Speed said:

With how cheap memory is i always shake my head at how much apple charges for it, but I also haven't used a PC in the last 20 years that was anything but a hassle. I'm no apple fanboy though because the laptops are the only apple products I have and as I said my current one is 12 years old.

I cant imagine 8gb ram will be much of an issue running office and web browsers though. It will be very nice not to have a 10 lb laptop in my backpack for work.

That workload, no, but that workload will be handled by a $200 ryzen based laptop as well. A $700 windows laptop would run circles around it specs wise.

Do you know why you can buy a $300 x86 laptop or a $450 one? Because Windows is total garbage. I was an avid pc fanboy while I worked for Intel. Then I tried a Mac... there is no going back. I game on x86 and the entire experience is such garbage in comparison. That's why Apple can sell a 13" computer with only 8GB of ram for $1000.

Some people are offended by the audacity of Apple. That's fine. You stick with your PC and do you.

I use a 2019 MBP for my primary computer, 2.9GHz six core Intel, 64gb Ram, and 4TB SSD, so a really high spec last year intel. (I use CAD software that doesn't work with M based processors.) I'm typing on it now and have no desire to go back to windows. Mainly because of the integration with my iphone, Ipad, and apple watch. imessage allowing me to text and read text messages on my computer and having my photos automatically upload is really nice. Using my Ipad as a third monitor when mobile and having my watch unlock my computer is nice as well.

That being said, finder sucks compared to windows explorer. The multi monitor support is absolute dog**** compared to windows. Your battery dying while the computer is sleeping was never a problem with my windows laptops, but every MBP I've had will die if you let it sleep too long unplugged. It's also a PITA having to use fusion on occasion to run windows only software, but that is to be expected.

OSx isn't bad, but there's definitely some things that could use improvement, but they never seem to fix those things.

Hardware support kind of sucks too. I had a 2006 Mac Pro, which was a really expensive high end computer and they quit supporting it in 2012. Over the next couple of years, apps stopped supporting that version of OSX and then I had a high end web browser and media player that otherwise worked perfectly, just wouldn't run any software. My 13" 2015 MBP I believe is on it's last version of OSX. Call me crazy, but I'd prefer at least 10 years of software support for such robust and costly hardware.

Also not a fan of how expensive their memory is. When I ordered my Ipad Pro last year, it was $400 to go from 512gb to 1Tb. That's just absurd in this day and age.
I call bull**** on that multi monitor comment. I've got 3 monitors on my Mac Studio. I have 6 desktops set up. I can swap each individual monitor between 2 desktops. I tried that on my work Windows laptop and the functionality is horribad compared to my Mac. Can't set up my 2 work monitors to each swap between desktops like the Mac.

They are pricey though.
aggieforester05
AG
UAS Ag said:

aggieforester05 said:

evan_aggie said:

FatZilla said:

Sea Speed said:

With how cheap memory is i always shake my head at how much apple charges for it, but I also haven't used a PC in the last 20 years that was anything but a hassle. I'm no apple fanboy though because the laptops are the only apple products I have and as I said my current one is 12 years old.

I cant imagine 8gb ram will be much of an issue running office and web browsers though. It will be very nice not to have a 10 lb laptop in my backpack for work.

That workload, no, but that workload will be handled by a $200 ryzen based laptop as well. A $700 windows laptop would run circles around it specs wise.

Do you know why you can buy a $300 x86 laptop or a $450 one? Because Windows is total garbage. I was an avid pc fanboy while I worked for Intel. Then I tried a Mac... there is no going back. I game on x86 and the entire experience is such garbage in comparison. That's why Apple can sell a 13" computer with only 8GB of ram for $1000.

Some people are offended by the audacity of Apple. That's fine. You stick with your PC and do you.

I use a 2019 MBP for my primary computer, 2.9GHz six core Intel, 64gb Ram, and 4TB SSD, so a really high spec last year intel. (I use CAD software that doesn't work with M based processors.) I'm typing on it now and have no desire to go back to windows. Mainly because of the integration with my iphone, Ipad, and apple watch. imessage allowing me to text and read text messages on my computer and having my photos automatically upload is really nice. Using my Ipad as a third monitor when mobile and having my watch unlock my computer is nice as well.

That being said, finder sucks compared to windows explorer. The multi monitor support is absolute dog**** compared to windows. Your battery dying while the computer is sleeping was never a problem with my windows laptops, but every MBP I've had will die if you let it sleep too long unplugged. It's also a PITA having to use fusion on occasion to run windows only software, but that is to be expected.

OSx isn't bad, but there's definitely some things that could use improvement, but they never seem to fix those things.

Hardware support kind of sucks too. I had a 2006 Mac Pro, which was a really expensive high end computer and they quit supporting it in 2012. Over the next couple of years, apps stopped supporting that version of OSX and then I had a high end web browser and media player that otherwise worked perfectly, just wouldn't run any software. My 13" 2015 MBP I believe is on it's last version of OSX. Call me crazy, but I'd prefer at least 10 years of software support for such robust and costly hardware.

Also not a fan of how expensive their memory is. When I ordered my Ipad Pro last year, it was $400 to go from 512gb to 1Tb. That's just absurd in this day and age.
I call bull**** on that multi monitor comment. I've got 3 monitors on my Mac Studio. I have 6 desktops set up. I can swap each individual monitor between 2 desktops. I tried that on my work Windows laptop and the functionality is horribad compared to my Mac. Can't set up my 2 work monitors to each swap between desktops like the Mac.

They are pricey though.
I have to constantly battle my monitors to keep them on. When they turn off some or all of them might come back on. I have to unplug both laptop from the docking station and docking station from the power supply to get it to reset. Sometimes I have to do this 7-8 times to get my left monitor to come back on. There's no way to get the monitors to reset from inside OSX and using the hidden "detect displays" setting does absolutely nothing. Now a big part of that is probably the fault of the docking station, but every other docking station I've researched has similar complaints from people using OSX.

Additionally, OSX does a piss poor job of remembering the display configuration. I have two portrait monitors on each side of a bigger landscape monitor. The two portrait models are the same model. About 50% of the time my computer wakes from sleep or restarts, I have to go into display settings are rearrange the monitor layout.

I've been using multiple monitor setups on both OSX and Windows since at least 2008, and Windows has been flawless on it's multiple monitor support for at least a decade in my experience. OSX has been a constant battle.

There are some things OSX does better than windows and my experience multiple monitors is not one of them. It's even a bigger issue now, since the M based processors are supposedly limited to two external monitors.

My portable setup does work pretty good using a portable AOC 16" USB C monitor in portrait on the left and an Ipad pro in landscape on the right using the screen mirroring feature. All fits nicely in my computer bag, but requires the larger power supply.
UAS Ag
aggieforester05 said:

UAS Ag said:

aggieforester05 said:

evan_aggie said:

FatZilla said:

Sea Speed said:

They are pricey though.
I have to constantly battle my monitors to keep them on. When they turn off some or all of them might come back on. I have to unplug both laptop from the docking station and docking station from the power supply to get it to reset. Sometimes I have to do this 7-8 times to get my left monitor to come back on. There's no way to get the monitors to reset from inside OSX and using the hidden "detect displays" setting does absolutely nothing. Now a big part of that is probably the fault of the docking station, but every other docking station I've researched has similar complaints from people using OSX.

Additionally, OSX does a piss poor job of remembering the display configuration. I have two portrait monitors on each side of a bigger landscape monitor. The two portrait models are the same model. About 50% of the time my computer wakes from sleep or restarts, I have to go into display settings are rearrange the monitor layout.

I've been using multiple monitor setups on both OSX and Windows since at least 2008, and Windows has been flawless on it's multiple monitor support for at least a decade in my experience. OSX has been a constant battle.

There are some things OSX does better than windows and my experience multiple monitors is not one of them. It's even a bigger issue now, since the M based processors are supposedly limited to two external monitors.

My portable setup does work pretty good using a portable AOC 16" USB C monitor in portrait on the left and an Ipad pro in landscape on the right using the screen mirroring feature. All fits nicely in my computer bag, but requires the larger power supply.
That's weird. Like I said, I have 3 monitors on my Mac Studio and never have a problem. I've NEVER in 2 years had to fix the layout due to it losing its mind.

We have a sim lab here at work that uses windows on several of the computers and I've had issues with those monitors not coming on at power up every once in awhile.

And god forbid I ever take my Dell laptop off this dock in my office and then connect it back. Takes me a good chunk of time to get things all working again.

Mine might be the dock, too, though.

I will say that not ALL the M based computers are limited to 2 external monitors. My Mac Studio has an M2 and I run 3 monitors and can run a 4th if need be. I'm also about to get the top of the line MBP for a project at work and it supports up to 4 external monitors.

BTW, I do something similar for my portable setup too, using an external 14" monitor and ipad.
techno-ag
AG
M3 cheapest 14" is $200 off today on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CM5JLWJK
BrazosDog02
AG
Right. Games don't work well because some don't support it. As I said, my software that runs my business and handles day to day operations doesn't run on anything but windows. And, as I said, I used to be able to run boot camp so my laptop could handle that on the windows side and I could keep the macOS for other stuff. But for me, as it stands, it's just a stupid expensive laptop to write emails and surf the internet. And since Windows does that already, there just isn't a reason to justify even owning the Mac anymore. Maybe they'll get it together and Apple/microsoft will figure out how to be cool with each other but until then, I just have the old iPhone.

I'm not a standard Apple hater. I WANT TO LIKE APPLE. I don't buy anything but iPhones. Ever. Nothing else works or holds up like an iPhone. Likewise, macOS and MacBooks just work. Always. I love them. They are smooth and fast. It's purely that they don't run some software that is crucial to why I own a laptop at all. Gaming is not the reason. That is what makes me mad because I would prefer the MacBook but now it's useless to me. I can't even make it work to Justify owning it.
Astroag
AG
Sea Speed said:

And if it is anything like my MBP I can upgrade the ram anyways. I doubled the ram on my MBP and put in a 1tb ssd.

This is false…you can't upgrade ram on Mac's any longer

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
UAS Ag
BrazosDog02 said:

Right. Games don't work well because some don't support it. As I said, my software that runs my business and handles day to day operations doesn't run on anything but windows. And, as I said, I used to be able to run boot camp so my laptop could handle that on the windows side and I could keep the macOS for other stuff. But for me, as it stands, it's just a stupid expensive laptop to write emails and surf the internet. And since Windows does that already, there just isn't a reason to justify even owning the Mac anymore. Maybe they'll get it together and Apple/microsoft will figure out how to be cool with each other but until then, I just have the old iPhone.

I'm not a standard Apple hater. I WANT TO LIKE APPLE. I don't buy anything but iPhones. Ever. Nothing else works or holds up like an iPhone. Likewise, macOS and MacBooks just work. Always. I love them. They are smooth and fast. It's purely that they don't run some software that is crucial to why I own a laptop at all. Gaming is not the reason. That is what makes me mad because I would prefer the MacBook but now it's useless to me. I can't even make it work to Justify owning it.
The fact they don't run the software has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with the software company not wanting to port their software to MacOS. Apple can NOT control that.

BTW, have you looked at Parallels to run your Windoze programs on Mac?
BrazosDog02
AG
Parallels is an emulator. It's not the same and there are issues with gaming on that and resource allocation. Plus they charge a fee for it. That's not happening.

You're right about developers and it not being apples fault. But it is their problem and they should be proactive in developing means to address it. No one is developing a suite of software for Apple because one guy wants to be different. F that guy. Be different somewhere else.
Sea Speed
AG
Is boot camp for Mac not a thing anymore?
UAS Ag
BrazosDog02 said:

Parallels is an emulator. It's not the same and there are issues with gaming on that and resource allocation. Plus they charge a fee for it. That's not happening.

You're right about developers and it not being apples fault. But it is their problem and they should be proactive in developing means to address it. No one is developing a suite of software for Apple because one guy wants to be different. F that guy. Be different somewhere else.
I was meaning Parallels for the work programs.

I didn't figure it would work worth a **** for gaming, though.

And how can Apple be proactive other than doing what they're doing? Developer Studio is open for people to use for developing their software on Macs.

But, I'm sure porting it over has a cost in both money and man-hours. I'm guessing many companies don't want to spend that money because Macs have a smaller market. They probably don't support Linux systems, either.
AggieVictor10
AG
Snagged.
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.
rynning
AG
UAS Ag said:

aggieforester05 said:

UAS Ag said:

aggieforester05 said:

evan_aggie said:

FatZilla said:

Sea Speed said:

They are pricey though.

That's weird. Like I said, I have 3 monitors on my Mac Studio and never have a problem. I've NEVER in 2 years had to fix the layout due to it losing its mind.

We have a sim lab here at work that uses windows on several of the computers and I've had issues with those monitors not coming on at power up every once in awhile.

And god forbid I ever take my Dell laptop off this dock in my office and then connect it back. Takes me a good chunk of time to get things all working again.

Mine might be the dock, too, though.

I will say that not ALL the M based computers are limited to 2 external monitors. My Mac Studio has an M2 and I run 3 monitors and can run a 4th if need be. I'm also about to get the top of the line MBP for a project at work and it supports up to 4 external monitors.

BTW, I do something similar for my portable setup too, using an external 14" monitor and ipad.
I'm with you. I run multiple monitors with both a MacBook and a PC. The Mac does a much better job remembering everything when I go back and forth. I'm thinking this is a docking station issue if the monitors are plugged in there. (It could still be MacOS's fault.)

And while I'm at it, my biggest pet peeve with Windows is the @&#%@% blinking cursor! I'll often see it blinking and start typing but nothing appears! What is it blinking for? I have to click inside the field before I can type. Am I the only one? That never happens on my Mac. Rant over.
agracer
AG
evan_aggie said:

FatZilla said:

Sea Speed said:

Windows 11 is this generation's Vista. They forced an upgrade at work and it's been nothing but a mess since the upgrade.

That being said, Macs forced updates on iOS are frustrating as hell. I've got an old IPad that was a YouTube and podcast device that barely works bc I managed to lock it and had to plug it into iTunes (complete garbage) and it updated. Now it's useless bc it's so slow and I can't run any apps bc they are not supported. My old Samsung Galaxy tab (same age) works almost as good as the day I bought it though. And all the apps still work.

I got a new iPhone and to connect my watch it forced an update on the watch which took 12 HOURS!!! Now it's slow as hell. WTF do apple products take so damned long to DL and update? It's ridiculous. And for the love of god why did they get rid of the zoom magnifying glass?????

The best part about both systems is the how your defaults no longer are there after an update but to change them back you have to google bc they moved settings around. Hell, in the new outlook you can't drag and drop attachments! Because no one ever used that feature!
Astroag
AG
agracer said:

evan_aggie said:

FatZilla said:

Sea Speed said:

Windows 11 is this generation's Vista. They forced an upgrade at work and it's been nothing but a mess since the upgrade.

That being said, Macs forced updates on iOS are frustrating as hell. I've got an old IPad that was a YouTube and podcast device that barely works bc I managed to lock it and had to plug it into iTunes (complete garbage) and it updated. Now it's useless bc it's so slow and I can't run any apps bc they are not supported. My old Samsung Galaxy tab (same age) works almost as good as the day I bought it though. And all the apps still work.

I got a new iPhone and to connect my watch it forced an update on the watch which took 12 HOURS!!! Now it's slow as hell. WTF do apple products take so damned long to DL and update? It's ridiculous. And for the love of god why did they get rid of the zoom magnifying glass?????

The best part about both systems is the how your defaults no longer are there after an update but to change them back you have to google bc they moved settings around. Hell, in the new outlook you can't drag and drop attachments! Because no one ever used that feature!

No offense, but this sounds like a you issue (maybe your WiFi?). I've never had an Apple update take 12 hours…hell, I've never had one take 1 hr and I've got MacBook pros, Apple Watch, iPhone, iPads, etc.

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.