Are MSI laptops any good?

1,423 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 80
kapon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw this on Newegg.
https://www.newegg.com/classic-black-msi-modern-15-h-b13m-022us-work-business/p/N82E16834156558?Item=N82E16834156558
I will be replacing an 8 year old laptop primarily used for business/personal use.

Thanks!
GIG 'EM!
FatZilla
AG
kapon said:

Saw this on Newegg.
https://www.newegg.com/classic-black-msi-modern-15-h-b13m-022us-work-business/p/N82E16834156558?Item=N82E16834156558
I will be replacing an 8 year old laptop primarily used for business/personal use.

Thanks!

Whats your real use like? List what you will be doing. That is overkill for daily driver business use.
kapon
AG
I rarely use my current one because it's so slow.
I pay bills on the internet, use quickbooks, and check email.
I would like to be able to create and edit office documents and edit pictures and video.
GIG 'EM!
FatZilla
AG
kapon said:

I rarely use my current one because it's so slow.
I pay bills on the internet, use quickbooks, and check email.
I would like to be able to create and edit office documents and edit pictures and video.

Explain your video editing a little more, it may bump this laptop recommendation up slightly more to get you a stronger cpu with some more ram. We have a lot of budget left between the laptop above and the recommendation below to work with.

This is what i just put together for a local treasurer of a volunteer org for similar work. Laptop comes with a 1 year warranty as it is refurbished by lenovo it says. Its a very nice and snappy little laptop, very light. Has pretty much any port you would want, only missing one is a hard line ethernet jack if that matters but you can get an adapter if ever needed to the usb-c port. Whole package together was under $240 and will do everything needed. If is not meant for gaming at all, and so as long as that is not on your list or has no plans to be, and your video editing is on the light side you should be golden.

Laptop
Lenovo IdeaPad 1 15AMN7 15.6" Laptop AMD Ryzen 3 7320U 8GB RAM 256GB SSD PCIe NVMe Wi-Fi 6 Fingerprint Reader Abyss Blue Windows 11 Home in S Mode (Renewed) https://a.co/d/9VT3Old

Office 2019
https://www.groupon.com/deals/wanas-llc
kapon
AG
Thanks!
Are you the seller?

Video and picture editing will be at a rudimentary level.
Sports videos of my son and stuff like that.

I need at least 512 hard drive. I am currently used 380 on my existing laptop.
GIG 'EM!
FatZilla
AG
kapon said:

Thanks!
Are you the seller?

Video and picture editing will be at a rudimentary level.
Sports videos of my son and stuff like that.

I need at least 512 hard drive. I am currently used 380 on my existing laptop.

No, i just know the volunteers for the hospital gift shop that needed the new laptop and offered to help aquire and set it up for them. The product page tells us the other info about the warranty and such.

For the editing and HDD bump, i would recommended jumping up the the model 3. I looked at the same one for them but since they only did spreadsheet work, it was overkill for their needs. If you need more storage for long term keeping, i would recommend getting an external drive for keeping your video files. You can transfer them over via usb-c which will be plenty fast and do your editing on the laptop drive and then transfer them back off for long term keeping. Same deal on the office 2019 license as i assume you need a new one of those for the laptop? The Groupon worked perfect for me. The seller responded within about 30m with my office key, i attached it to the Microsoft account i registered for them and downloaded the office suite. All the programs activated just fine when i ran them after installation.

Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" FHD IPS Touchscreen Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 7530U 16GB DDR4 RAM 512GB SSD PCIe NVMe Windows 11 Home Backlit Keyboard Numeric Keypad Wi-Fi 6 Abyss Blue (Renewed) https://a.co/d/3bDJOsx
kapon
AG
Excellent! Thanks!
GIG 'EM!
Madmarttigan
AG
Bad experience with my MSI in past, pretty cheap flimsy product.
kapon
AG
Dadgum! I went to purchase today and they are sold out!
I can use the specs you provided to find one now.
Thanks again!
GIG 'EM!
kapon
AG
Started looking today and it was back in stock!
I don't know how this works, but I appreciate your help!
GIG 'EM!
cochrum
AG
I have a MSI gaming comp. entry level, and I really like it. No issues other than crappy battery life.
DallasTeleAg
Had an MSI once, and agree with Madmarttigan: They are flimsy. However, I never had any actual issues with it. I just later got a Gigabyte Laptop, and it just feels much sturdier.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
My work laptop is an MSI Crosshair 17. My only complaint is it sucks the battery down in like an hour if unplugged. Fortunately, my job rarely requires it to leave my desk.
DallasTeleAg
MyNameIsJeff said:

My work laptop is an MSI Crosshair 17. My only complaint is it sucks the battery down in like an hour if unplugged. Fortunately, my job rarely requires it to leave my desk.
Yeah, with any gaming laptop, I don't think you should expect to use it unplugged for long.
I have had a MSI laptop for about 5 years and have had zero issues.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.