Google's quantum computer

1,531 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by kb2001
Rongagin71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry if this has already been posted but
I'm wondering how much longer encryption will be safe?

Pman17
AG
Quantum proof encryption is coming. Apple started releasing PQ3 to iMessage.

Here's a good video explaining what we're doing today to protect from quantum computers tomorrow.
Rongagin71
AG
Wow, that's for Math majors - which ain't me.
Nice to know work is being done to defend against
bad actors currently gathering info that they intend to
break into using future quantum abilities.
double aught
AG
I for one welcome our new technological overlords.
kb2001
AG
PQC algorithms have been in development for quite a while, and NIST has even selected 5 or 6 of them as standards. There are a few implementations out there for some languages, including FIPS compliant ones. MS and Google have been testing theirs for a year or two, Apple is more tight lipped but they're releasing theirs in some limited form sometime this year. With NIST acceptance of some of them, companies may or may not have to alter theirs to match the finalized accepted standards, but they are largely ready.

The sooner things can move to new algorithms the better. Even if the ability to break the current algorithms isn't widespread yet, "harvest now and decrypt later" is happening. Certainly by large companies and government agencies.

The real breakthrough will come once the new ciphers and algorithms are implemented for HTTPS and web servers and for hard drive encryption.
kb2001
AG
Follow up on this topic

Apple updated iMessage with their PQC algorithm. I had seen an implementation proof of concept paper for Signal a couple years ago, but I didn't realize they had also included it in their release last fall as well. Interesting video about it. He rags on Apple a bit for their marketing, but the technicals of the video are solid, and he goes over it pretty well.

https://odysee.com/@AlphaNerd:8/apple-updates-imessage-with-post-quantum:2

If you're interested in reading about Signal's implementation, here's the PQXDH Key Agreement Protocol spec

https://signal.org/docs/specifications/pqxdh/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.